[outdated] King of the Forest (Crit version)

So I was running a Death Opus 5L and finally saved enough currency to purchase a Reach. I 5L it and swap it out with the Opus.

I realize I dont have to use GMP any longer, but I honestly didnt notice much increase in clearspeed or boss takedown speeds.

Am I missing something or is the Reach not really worth the cost for this build?
Last edited by rickpollock on Dec 22, 2016, 11:12:52 AM
https://youtu.be/zIwiNAOykks

Vídeo of reach vs opus. Like you can see you kill a little faster with the opus, i'm using it with the added arrow in drillneck and you shoot 4 arrows with LA 1 less that with the reach, so is a less arrow maybe for kill trash. In cost efficiency for me opus is better. You can see it in the vídeo.
"
Andresmar19 wrote:
https://youtu.be/zIwiNAOykks

Vídeo of reach vs opus. Like you can see you kill a little faster with the opus, i'm using it with the added arrow in drillneck and you shoot 4 arrows with LA 1 less that with the reach, so is a less arrow maybe for kill trash. In cost efficiency for me opus is better. You can see it in the vídeo.

Yea looks like I'll be selling my Reach again. I was so pumped to get it too!! Maybe a better investment would be a 6-link chest.
Last edited by rickpollock on Dec 22, 2016, 11:47:20 AM
Wow guys I am overwhelmed by the amount of feedback here, and I can't keep up I am sorry :( I was quite busy with the challenges.

I'll try to record some videos over the christmas holidays and upload it.

I tried to cover most of the reoccuring questions in the FAQ section and updated it. Please check out the guide again to see if you question already has been answered.

I also gave more tips on the frequent "what should I buy next" question.

If you really feel like your question is answered nowhere, its best to catch me ingame and ask directly (@SneakySnoozer) cheers and merry christmas everyone !

"
Timbroslice wrote:
Is it still recommended you link immortal call+cast on damage taken? would it be noticable with no endurance charges?

Would cast temporal chains on damage done be better?

I am fine without any CWDT - try to leave it out and see if you miss it. It opens gem slots for curse on hit setup or other nice things.

"
dguay wrote:
Anyone else having trouble to survive in T11+ breaches? I have 5.6k life...

Someone tried Vaal Pact?

Do not stand in the fire,Ice or lightning things the rares cast. You should have no trouble with decent gear if you movement is good. Do not tank shit, move around, kill the white mobs with LA and immediately go for the rare if you see one - they are dangerous and barrage will kill them quickly.

"
Serleth wrote:
How necessary is a 6L for Shaper?

Its not super necessary, but its the biggest dps boost of all expensive upgrades. The more dps you have, the easier it gets, because you can kill everything quicker.

With great knowledge of the fight and the build you can do it with a 5L, but that requires nerves of steel :D

"
Danzze wrote:
What curse better use for Curse On Hit setup? I'm using assassin's mark now, but not sure about this.

Vulnerability, Temporal chains or assassins mark are all good choices - tempchain is defense, vuln is higher damage than assmark, but assmark helps with crits.

"
CadmiumFlow wrote:
Man, this thread is interesting to read. You've got some people clearing Uber Lab and T14-15 maps at level 83, and others having trouble with T10s. I'm going to share some of my thoughts on the wildly differing reports of strength:

Spoiler
This entire build revolves around delivering as much poison damage as possible via Barrage and Toxic Delivery. This is enhanced by several critical factors that you absolutely cannot neglect, or the build simply won't work:

- Extra projectiles from Death's Opus or Reach of the Council. Death's Opus should easily carry you into red maps. This also lets you skip GMP on Lightning Arrow (and eventually LMP) - don't underestimate how much extra clear-speed you pick up from piercing projectiles off-screening and poisoning packs.

- Added Chaos Damage Gems. You need two of these, and they must be leveled. You cannot just throw a level 1 in and expect to run T10 maps. Each level is flat damage (like a spell gem) so they need to be 18+ ASAP. I would recommend buying the GCPs to quality them as well (and use your vendor recipe GCPs), because you cannot afford to run it at level 1 20% in a T12 map and expect to kill the boss. The +% chaos damage is also huge, because jewelry with this on it is extremely expensive.

- Get good Jewelry (some combination of life, resistances, accuracy, flat damage, and then crit multi on the amulet) with an open prefix and spend the 13c to Elreon flat chaos damage on to it. Alternatively, buy some Essences of Envy and try to get lucky on a Diamond or resistance ring:

I crafted the % Chaos Damage Diamond Ring, so I had to spend a decent amount on my other ring to make-up for the lack of defenses. However, buying % Chaos Damage rings with a good life roll and just one resistance is often extremely expensive.

- Keeping Frenzy Charges up to apply poison via Snakebite. If you're having trouble with a boss, you probably lost your Frenzy Charges. Make sure you get in the habit of firing Frenzy every 5 seconds or so to ensure you don't lose your 4-stack.

- Landing Critical Strikes because of the insane 100% more poison damage modifier from Toxic Delivery - this is also a good argument for taking TD before the Uber Lab. This involves using your Diamond flask properly. You should not open a tough fight by using it. Instead, fire a few barrages without it to build Power Charges - you actually need a lower crit chance to generate these. Once you're at 4, then swoop in, pop Diamond, and unload. I've yet to see a map boss (I've run up to T14) survive me for longer than 5 seconds.

- Running a Wither Totem can help a lot here too, because those Wither stacks really add up. In combination with critical strike-fueled Poison damage single targets get absolutely shredded.

- Might be a controversial opinion but I've had success with it: a 6L Barrage is more useful than 5L QotF. Buy a cheap 6L evasion chest with a good life roll (or use an essence of greed to make it yourself) and use that until you can afford to 6-link a QotF.

In terms of survavability:

- Stay mobile. This is not a tanky build. 6K+ life will allow you to do some stupid stuff and survive, but if you get surrounded in a Breach while standing still you will absolutely die. Use blink arrow, blink arrow, decoy totem, or a wither totem. Awareness is required - recognize dangerous situations as they develop and get out. Poison damage means you can keep doing damage even while you run like a sissy.

- You absolutely need high life rolls (T3 at least, T1 or T2 preferred) on all non-unique gear because this build uses uniques in several slots.

- Jewels need 6-7% increased maximum life. This is mandatory if you want 6K+ life. Do not waste rolls on increased critical strike chance. These are cheap for a reason because 10% isn't going to make much of a difference and you don't need it anyway. On the flip side, critical strike multiplier is huge. Also read up on how Poison damage "double-dips" - this limits the types of damage mods you should go for, but also means you get much more from each jewel.

- Fill out the tree - if you skip the far left sides of it you are missing out on over 50% of increased maximum life. This is what gets you out of the typical 4-4.5K bow build health range and into the upper 5Ks. As mentioned, Jewels will then put you over 6K.

- Use a basalt flask and Arctic Armor. I like layered defenses rather than banking entirely on Evasion, but this comes down to personal preference.

- CWDT with Immortal Call and Increased Duration is enough - we don't need Endurance Charges. This question gets asked like every page of this thread.

- Don't get hit. Seriously, the high-tiered bosses hit like trucks but a lot of them are pretty well telegraphed. If you get hit by a big spell, expect to die. That's how the the game is unless you have 15K+ ES.

- KEEP YOUR CHARGES UP! You fight without them and your damage suffers greatly. Then you die, because the fight goes on a lot longer than it should.

- Watch the map mods. As I said before, this is not a tanky build. Throw on unlucky dodge chance, -max resistances, monster critical strike chance, vulnerability, etc and hits can be extremely painful. Bow builds tend to lend themselves to popping a Quicksilver Adrenaline and yolo'ing from pack-to-pack, but even with 6K life this stuff can and will kill us quickly. I also suggesting getting red map elemental weakness capped (169% in hideout) - jewels can help with this.

- Consider a Kintsugi instead of a QotF if you don't trust yourself to not get hit. Sometimes I'm tired and play stupid, and I hate getting one-shot, so I think I'm going to try this when I can afford to 6L it.

I hope this helps for those who have been struggling a bit. This is an expensive build and it does take a while to get it going. But in terms of run and gun bow builds, it's easily one of the best if not the best out there.

thanks for that useful feedback, I will post that to the main page :D thanks !

"
Fawkse wrote:
You say the tree linked in the OP is optimized for life gain...

Is the "evasion and energy shield" in the Nullification cluster connecting it to Coldhearted Calculation more efficient than a 5% life node? The ES seems to be meh due to Acrobatics, and 5% increased ES + 10% increased evasion seems worse than the Raider starting node (+12 flat life and +18% increased evasion)?

Am I missing something?

you cant just skip it - you need to travel through somewhere lol. and yes its pretty useful, the evasion is good, 8 all res helps alot more than you might thing, because this build is tight with resistances.

"
Glencairn wrote:
Haven't read through so not sure if anyone else has done this or posted this but... alas I present

Raider of the Forest:
Spoiler

Take Avatar of the Slaughter and Avatar of the Chase to do meni dmg. (Avatar of the veil for more? mitigation and invisible nonsense)

Copied Build/Gear/Tree with slight variations as my league starter:

Got my helm this morning. Just need to upgrade jewelry and jewels. Maybe get some 21 gems in there. Also leveling Vorici to 8 wouldnt hurt so I can recolour the gloves 3g 1b and use Frenzy instead of Orb of Storms. Frenzy skill isn't really necessary on raider and one of the main reasons I wanted to try this but it works well in emergencies and with PCOC linked for addition of power charges. Orb of storms is nice in breaches and uber though to passively gain charges while running around.

Flasks currently setup for uber lab. quicksilver of heat and diamond of staunching/grounding instead of basalt for general mapping. At 6,100 hp, 82 movespeed with no flask (183 with frenzies + flasks), 22k eva. 30k barrage with frenzies and permaonslaught, 47k LA. Dmg has been great from lioneyes to opus to reach and dual 5l's to 6l+5l. You really don't need 6l for lightning arrow and it can be quite nice to have blood rage on your bow to weapon swap it off quickly in say uberlab or less/no regen maps or vulnerability curse etc.

Quite satisfied with how it's turned out. It's probably the best build I have done so far. Thanks!

My tree if anyone is curious:

nice man ! Have you tried any guardians, shaper or uber atziri with that?

"
keganswar wrote:
This guide and build is absolutely awesome. The care and planning is evident. I really like how the build scales and leaves room for performance based achievement. Everything just melts.

I have a question. Does curse on hit get applied if you use that gem with projectile weakness in the snake bit gloves by your barrage and lightning arrow? And if so is there some indication that it's working like a buff or a symbol?

thanks for the praise :o No, if you have curse on hit+curse in your gloves, it will only be applied by skills that are socketed in your gloves and linked to those two.

"
Thaya wrote:
Considering the price difference between +2 Barrage Projectiles vs +40% Barrage Damage (14ex vs 1ex...), I think it's time to call for another boycott

indeed, you guys made some good calculations there, i would say a 40% barrage damage enchant is roughly 10% more damage, while a +2 helmet is 13/11 = 18% more damage if you have dying sun, or 11/9=22% more if you dont. so the difference should be about twice the price if it was "fair". but right now its terribly overpriced :( I would consider buying it for 8-9 ex, but not at 15 lmao.

"
Question: How do you guys handle Chayula breach?
It's really hard to get high chaos resistance with this build, I was thinking about getting it on jewels or run atziri flask.

I've made a CI version of this same build just to test (lol) - it sucked (8.5k es + vaal pact + ghost reaver), easy to get stunned and blood rage destroys CI so bad.

I swapped one ring for a mings heart, lost 500 life but capped chaos resist with atziri flask. Was easy then, but was in party with a BV friend pre-patch nerf.

"
crayolamix wrote:
@Cmphx

Big fanboy of your characters aesthetics.. Hope you don't mind but I kinda stole your look hehe :)

;)

"
b44dss wrote:
I played now both Glare and Reach for this Build. And if you consider using a Diamond Flask you critcap with a Glare also. This means u are not loosing any Critdamage related stuff.

A Glare does more Damage per Hit than the Reach. Which is a huge difference in physical damage due to phys/armor calculation. Means you do more damage to tanky bosses and more poison also.

Using Splitarrow with Glare 1 Shots everything and you cannot miss with the Glare which is also huge vs high evasion monsters later where u miss some shots with the Reach. Which means you dont need accuracy on your gear and can get more critmulti. what means even more damage than with the Reach due to higher base damage of the bow.

4 Additional Arrows is surely nice for Barrage but with the Glare you can attack twice in that amount of time ( 1 barrage with Reach = 2 barrage with Glare # same time amount spend for attacking). This is due to the higher attackspeed on the bow and results in better scaling with attackspeed notes you take during the tree. this means you got more hits on a boss in the same time + you wont miss him at all, which happens often. so you cannot even calculate like you did it before. what are 4 additional arrow when 2 of them can miss.

just test it, the Glare exceeds the Reach in higher levels by 20% or so. You can calculate it. Sure barrage damage is lower when you consider only ONE attack. but thats not the case. Reach is too slow sadly and 1% more base crit is meaningless with assasing.

kind regards

interesting points. will test it myself!

"
Kryptolog wrote:
I'm a new player.
Why you dont go on +20% quality on lightning arrow ?
I just get few gems to +20% with gcp and stopped when realized that in this guide and in new league you did not get +20% on lightning arrow.
+10% to shock is bad ?
Thanks for any answer.

Its not bad, but if you crit, you have 100% shock chance, so no need to quality it. i was just trying to save GCPs because i didnt have many back then. It will make no difference if its 20/20 or only 20/0.

"
rickpollock wrote:
So I was running a Death Opus 5L and finally saved enough currency to purchase a Reach. I 5L it and swap it out with the Opus.

I realize I dont have to use GMP any longer, but I honestly didnt notice much increase in clearspeed or boss takedown speeds.

Am I missing something or is the Reach not really worth the cost for this build?

I personally like it alot more - it feels faster, fires faster, and has more arrows on Lightning arrow. I feel stronger using reach and for me its worth the money.

but purely paper dps comparison, its no difference, opus being better even in some cases.

Your choice, its best to try it out.
RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625
Hey man! Thanks so much for the build I absolutely love it! This is the first season I've actually been able to make over 1 ex and enjoy the game + do endgame bosses! Could you take a look at my character and tell me what i should be focusing on upgrading next? Thanks!

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Blobe1/characters

Character is KingOfTheBleach, I know i need a +2 Barrage Helmet but they're about 14 ex and i have about 11 saved up! anything else i could upgrade? Thanks!

"
Blobe1 wrote:
Hey man! Thanks so much for the build I absolutely love it! This is the first season I've actually been able to make over 1 ex and enjoy the game + do endgame bosses! Could you take a look at my character and tell me what i should be focusing on upgrading next? Thanks!

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Blobe1/characters

Character is KingOfTheBleach, I know i need a +2 Barrage Helmet but they're about 14 ex and i have about 11 saved up! anything else i could upgrade? Thanks!

I would put your first priority on the jewels. Bramble Glisten by the life wheel is the only one close to decent. You really want, at minimum, either 3 strong damage mods, or 2 damage mods and life. Projectile Damage, Chaos Damage, Crit Multi, Increased Damage are all strong options. Even better if you can get 4 damage or 3 damage + life.

After that, replacing the jewelry slots. The amulet has no flat or increased chaos damage, and Coral amulet is not a good base. The rings have life and damage rolls, but low resistances. Ideally rings are a great spot to keep those capped since there's no need for any of the standard damage rolls (flat damage, WED, etc). Either a better Chaos% ring, or two really strong life/res rings with an open prefix for flat chaos. The reduced charges is nice, but you could also squeeze a bit more life and a lot more resistances out of the belt.

A better pair of high evasion boots (Slink Boots most likely) wouldn't hurt. Shouldn't be too tough to match the life and resistances on a pair of boots with 300+ evasion.

It might not hurt to throw some divines at the chest piece. The life roll is good and evasion is above average, but the lightning and cold resistances are low, and you could get 100-200 more evasion out of it. Risky depending on how many divine orbs you'd be willing to spend.

As discussed in the previous couple pages, you're probably better off getting a +40% Barrage Damage helm instead. It's only about 33% as effective as +2, but MUCH cheaper. You're much better off completing the rest of your gear to end-game levels, then deal with the +2 helm last.

If you've got 11 ex saved up, with no plans to spend them on any other characters, you should easily be able to replace all your gems and jewelry pieces.
Hey guys, this build seems awesome! I know it should have plenty of damage for Uber lab farm, but how efficient is this build for farming uber lab safely and cheaply? traps, full key buffs w izaro etc... Appreciate any insights as that is something I really enjoy doing in POE, thanks!
Hey guys I got a question. So I plan to do shaper with this build.

So far I have a 21/20 Added Chaos, 6L Queen, 5L Reach, and %chaos +added chaos jewelry. Also running a blasphemy vulnerability setup with enlighten, instead of arctic armor.

Do I need the Dying Sun, +1 arrow Drillneck, and +2 Barrage Projectiles for Shaper? They all are really expensive.
Last edited by Thunder71 on Dec 22, 2016, 3:27:25 PM
Spoiler

Can anyone help me with my character? I still only have like 5.4k life even though all but 1 of my jewels have life%. What do i need to upgrade in general? I finally took down hydra but it seemed alot harder than it should be (took awhile to dps her down). Feels like i have everything this build needs besides the vul snakebites & devoto enchant but these boss fights are something else..

I do have max res 169% besides lightning which is at like 150ish

My skill bar is full so i never get a chance to use decoy totem, what do you guys have set up?

BloodRage-LA-Frenzy-VaalHaste-Barrage-BlinkArrow-IceGolem <-- mine
"
Hey guys, this build seems awesome! I know it should have plenty of damage for Uber lab farm, but how efficient is this build for farming uber lab safely and cheaply? traps, full key buffs w izaro etc... Appreciate any insights as that is something I really enjoy doing in POE, thanks!

First of all...

"
Appreciate any insights as that is something I really enjoy doing in POE, thanks!

Liar! or GGG plant. One or the other...

But seriously, this build makes an excellent uber lab farmer. It generally has a higher life pool than most archers, the passive tree factors in a lot of regen which is immensely helpful with traps, the movement speed is very helpful for navigating through everything quickly, plus you have tons of boss melting ability with Barrage and poison. Blink arrow makes avoiding traps easier as well. With good gear, you can decoy totem taunt Izaro to take his alpha attack and have him burned to the HP threshold before he sets up the second attack. Dodging the green barf balls from the Goddess is really the only concern, and it's pretty easily avoidable. There's always potential for a one-shot at full keys, but the build has enough damage and defense to not have that happen too often. Just play smart and avoid taking the direct attacks at full buffs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info