GGG team are clueless about their own Game?

"
SunL4D2 wrote:
Again not sure where you from got it but I clearly remember Chris saying two things :
1. Tough fight should have great rewards.
2. "I didn't checked out this Sword stats, because I trust people who work on it"

They start talking about that around 37:39. He pretty much says what you say he did. The people interviewing him already knew that he doesn't deal with balance of specific items, and they said so in the podcast.

"
He never admitted that this sword is dumb, too strong or anything. Never ever.

I agree. I said that.
Just like he never said it was 'game-breaking'. You said that.

"
Later he said in general context that good unique items like Reach makes people use rare weapons / craft less

He says that around 36 minutes in.

"
It's up to you to provide stamps and here is why. Most people don't have issues with points in OP, therefore according to common sense widely accepted thing that come first should be trusted more than new claim.

Are people agreeing with you because they watched the podcast, or did they just trust your claims about it?
And anyway - how can I give you a timestamp for something he didn't say? I listened to the podcast, and I didn't hear him say those things you said he did. So I posted that. You seem to care a lot about my opinion - thanks! But for me to check more thoroughly, I need to know where you think he was saying those things, then I can listen to it and see if you're right. I'm happy to be proved wrong if he did say those things.

For example, around 10:10, Chris starts talking about how it's OK for some skills to be worse than others, and he says around 10:32: "I don't believe that every skill in the game necessarily needs to be good. It's OK for there to be some bad choices."

In your OP, you said "Chris thinks that most skills being useless is actually good and way to go." As you can see, your claim is different from the bit I quoted. ("It's OK for some skills to be bad", vs "it's OK for most skills to be useless" - surely you can see there is a significant difference here!)
Was the bit I quoted the part you were thinking of, and you just remembered it wrong?
Or was there another part where he did say it was OK for most skills to be useless?
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Sep 20, 2016, 5:09:46 PM
totally agree with dudiobugtron here, most of the stuff you claim wasn't said so in the podcast
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
That sword actually sucks imo and is kind of a noob trap.

The whole idea of not being able to do elemental damage makes that sword suck ass. Can't scale it with Hatred or Herald of ash which reduces so much damage. It has 25%ish more base damage but you have to scale pure physical...and when is the last time that we could scale pure physical in this game?

The whole "your physical damage can shock" is cool and all but still doesn't answer scaling issues.

Oh and it is a sword which is technically the biggest downside of the weapon imo.

Atziri's Disfavor blows that sword out of the water imo.

I think the real star for Shaper is that flask...everything else is kinda meh.
"
That sword actually sucks imo and is kind of a noob trap.

The whole idea of not being able to do elemental damage makes that sword suck ass. Can't scale it with Hatred or Herald of ash which reduces so much damage. It has 25%ish more base damage but you have to scale pure physical...and when is the last time that we could scale pure physical in this game?

The whole "your physical damage can shock" is cool and all but still doesn't answer scaling issues.

Oh and it is a sword which is technically the biggest downside of the weapon imo.

Atziri's Disfavor blows that sword out of the water imo.

I think the real star for Shaper is that flask...everything else is kinda meh.

well.. that sword is what previous league has been all about: blasphemy vulnerability + curse effect + poison + bleed

lacerate with this stuff + voidheart (new one ofc because these % will trigger sooner than later) == gg

there is nothing noobtrapish about sword that gives you mirror-level phys dps AND life AND gigaton of +AOE. this is the best 2h weapon out there. disfavour is great but this grants AOE (area clear) and raw damage and life. this shock might be big enough to actually shock stuff that matters (ofc does not apply to vinktars users..) it wont get cheap unless something even more broken is born - that is till next league
"
sidtherat wrote:
this is the best 2h weapon out there. disfavour is great but this grants AOE (area clear) and raw damage and life. this shock might be big enough to actually shock stuff that matters (ofc does not apply to vinktars users..) it wont get cheap unless something even more broken is born - that is till next league
'

Well I hope that it drives the price of Disfavors down a bit then. Disfavor gives weapon range and has a better base attack speed. "mirror level pdps" doesn't do anygood if you have to scale it only with physical damage. Is the sword trash? No. I just don't think it's the "God of all melee weapons" like people make it out to be. I still think (like everything) it still depends on the build.

If this is the "lacerate sword" then I guess that's awesome for lacerate. I kinda see Disfavor as the "cyclone axe" even though people use it for much more.

Maybe "noob trap" isn't the right words...but to me it's just not as amazing at people make it out to be.
"
"
sidtherat wrote:
this is the best 2h weapon out there. disfavour is great but this grants AOE (area clear) and raw damage and life. this shock might be big enough to actually shock stuff that matters (ofc does not apply to vinktars users..) it wont get cheap unless something even more broken is born - that is till next league
'

Well I hope that it drives the price of Disfavors down a bit then. Disfavor gives weapon range and has a better base attack speed. "mirror level pdps" doesn't do anygood if you have to scale it only with physical damage. Is the sword trash? No. I just don't think it's the "God of all melee weapons" like people make it out to be. I still think (like everything) it still depends on the build.

If this is the "lacerate sword" then I guess that's awesome for lacerate. I kinda see Disfavor as the "cyclone axe" even though people use it for much more.

Maybe "noob trap" isn't the right words...but to me it's just not as amazing at people make it out to be.

You should say the sword is not as good as it looks like. Not being able to deal elemental damage also removes one of the few supports usable for Melee attacks.

So you either use it with Spectral Throw to have access to more supports or you need to use Concentrated Effekt and in both cases you are likely dependend on scaling it with Crit.

It should be around Disfavour in terms of overall power and accessability. Due to the high base dps people might view Starforge as a bit better. But Disfavour already made crafting pretty pointless, Starforge doesn't add much to that. Also getting +2 on Supports and having free access to bleed might even both swords out a bit more. Although 20% increased AoE and the really nice 100 HP is good.

If they do something they should remove the chance to Shock. It is not necessary and it is, what tipps the sword over the edge.

"
Please, stop telling me that Flask that gives so much raw power is just high-tier. 30% AOE and 2 extra projectiles for any skills are just insane.

It is a purely offensive flask, which still doesn't provide much damage. People usually use flasks for dangerous situations, so it is very likely that not many will use this flasks mostly because it doesn't help in situations where flasks are normally used, to burst down bosses or survive difficult situations. It might be a nice version of a Ruby Flask, but thats basically it.

"
1. Guy who designed Shaper fight think that Life is more viable than ES at the moment. ...

2. Chris thinks Life can compete with ES. No comments as well.

From their viewpoint that is actually true. If there old stats are still valid only a minority of players have characters of really high level, a lot of playtime is invested else where. A lot of players also don't trade, which again favors life. So from their perspektive Life is very strong, of course in the endgame CI overcomes life because it scales better, but scaling better in this case also means starting much lower. Essence actually made playing as CI during leveling a lot easier. Because you can craft with essences, but it is still harder than leveling with Life.

That is also not really what Chris said too, he said pretty much what I said above, Life is usually used for starting and a lot of people switch to CI over time, with Essences making that easier.
Last edited by Emphasy on Sep 20, 2016, 5:32:27 PM
Nobody cares how a build does leveling, people 99% of the time don't even level as the build they plan to play
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
Nobody cares how a build does leveling, people 99% of the time don't even level as the build they plan to play

Well we might think about it that way, because that is what people that talk about the game in the forum do. But that isn't necessarily the playerbase. Also it isn't even true. A lot of thought goes into a build at the start of the league because you want a build that levels quick advances maps quick can do uber lab quick or Atziri to be one of the first to do certain content.

I think it might actually be the first time that a CI or Lowlife build got something first in a league. The first Atziri kill went to a Life based build and I think the first Malachai as well. Not sure about Core though.

Which is also why the BV Pathfinder build is so common because it is easy to start as life and switch to CI later.

So not only is leveling a very important part for GGG because I'm not sure about numbers but I still think that many players might not reach those wealth stats to consider CI to be a meaningful upgrade. Because if you switch to CI without good gear you might not end up with that much more ES than you would have with life. I also doubt that 99% don't level as what they play. I would actually think it is the other way around.

Actually even though I should know better I usually even level CI builds as CI builds (well without CI I just use my base HP) which only works until Cruel Malachai^^, I usually die once or twice there or at Daresso, Kaom though is not that hard. Because in normal there is no reason for a non-hardcore player to not level as what he plans and in cruel you might die 5 times but thats it, Chaos Damage isn't that common that having just 800 or so life hurts a lot. In Hardcore you wouldn't do that, but then again Hardcore is far from a majority.
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
All info taken from Chris and recent Lioneye's Watch Podcast.

1. Guy who designed Shaper fight think that Life is more viable than ES at the moment. ...

3. Chris thinks that most skills being useless is actually good and way to go. Literally, what? Gameplay diversity anyone?

4. Chris thinks that Starforge / Dying Sun can be overpowered game breaking abominations just because they drop from Shaper and should be rewarding. Any player who is familar with the game can tell that this uniques are broken AF.

There is a lot more of ridiculous things said by Chris but I won't mention them there. For some reason they didn't even talked about Melee problem (except brief mention that targetting will be finally fixed some day), Blade Vortex-Path Finder shenanigans and some other hot topics.

Also I think it's either PT is a coward and can't say anything to Chris "face-to-face" or GGG make sure that streamers avoid hot discussion about hot topics in beforehand.

Today I learned a lot of new stuff. And it's mostly bad news. It's like GGG is indeed completely clueless about their own Game.

I don't even know how to feel about it.

When I heard the comments about life it made me wonder what mechanics and builds I've missed. I don't think you can just take it for granted your mastery of the game mechanics is such that you know more than this designer, but I do know where you're coming from. The ability for ES to allow me to play more carelessly does seem stronger. I agree with you there.

Starting at 3 though, you lose me. Chris never said that most skills being useless was okay, and he was clear about how they intend to rework some of them. What he said is that it's not necessarily a problem if some skills and items are stronger than others. Don't just make up stories in your head and then rant about them.

4 is a weak point. People like rewards. Whether or not the balance team hit whatever you think is the sweet spot in terms of a reward worth pursuing isn't worth writing about it. Starforge doesn't let you scale ele, and the game is already full of flasks so powerful that choosing one over another is now a pretty big tradeoff itself.

Finally, your worst point is about ProjectPT being a coward. There's no other way to say this: If you feel this way your expectations must have been extremely juvenile. I'm right there with you in wanting more substantial questions being asked and answered by devs on these podcasts but considering that once the bridge is burned you get no answers at all, PT walked the line well. Being any more or less aggressive would have been a costly mistake, and if you can't see that you need to try a little harder.
"
tobes111 wrote:
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
All info taken from Chris and recent Lioneye's Watch Podcast.

3. Chris thinks that most skills being useless is actually good and way to go. Literally, what? Gameplay diversity anyone?

4. Chris thinks that Starforge / Dying Sun can be overpowered game breaking abominations just because they drop from Shaper and should be rewarding. Any player who is familar with the game can tell that this uniques are broken AF.

There is a lot more of ridiculous things said by Chris but I won't mention them there. For some reason they didn't even talked about Melee problem (except brief mention that targetting will be finally fixed some day), Blade Vortex-Path Finder shenanigans and some other hot topics.

Also I think it's either PT is a coward and can't say anything to Chris "face-to-face" or GGG make sure that streamers avoid hot discussion about hot topics in beforehand.

Today I learned a lot of new stuff. And it's mostly bad news. It's like GGG is indeed completely clueless about their own Game.

I don't even know how to feel about it.

Just have a look at the frequency of updating/rebalancing old skills and putting in new skills in the game.

PoE needs a meeting to get their priorities in order. Unfortunately, it looks like a top-down problem which can only be resolved if someone has the balls to talk to Chris Wilson

REBALENCING LOL? EVEN DIABLO 3 DID A BETTER JOB HAVING 1 BUILD DO 3000% MORE DAMAGE AND HAVE MORE DURABILITY. LOL! Lifting nerd has made several high end builds, i have tested a few at level 80, and BV as well as a few others WAY OUT PERFORM any other build whatsoever (full at least decent gear, BV gems were under leveled too). Instant leech is broken as fuck (just make normal life-steal instant, remove the other gems for it, and nerf the numbers. Boom fixed, life-steal should never give more then 5% per hit EVER, and the overtime numbers don't work properly anyways since it heals ~11% max, the 20% isnt even the real cap!) The biggest issue that GGG has is that A. They don't listen to the community and don't ever use high end players (irregardless of if they stream, or have a YouTube for path of exile), have them TEST and effectively try and even out the builds SLOWLY, they have dug themselves a great hole (and i already have stopped playing the game because i cant stand games where the devs don't listen to the community AND cant balance (or have the players help balance the game) for shit. First Diablo 3 now this, Fuck this back too Diablo 2, at least they cant fuck up that game.

The most important one B. they dont state numbers, or they alot of times are fake, half the DPS calculators are still wrong, i have even tested a few (last week). I mean if they cant get simple calculators correct they will never EVER be able to balence their game, because they cant calculate the % damage each build can output at max. Which means that it will crumble since nothing will be in equilibrium.
Last edited by Youstink685 on Sep 20, 2016, 9:30:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info