Reduce drastically or eliminate completely the exp lose on death

"
frenrihr wrote:
Spoiler
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
Vhlad wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the build of an upper 90 who tanks shaper and chain farms T16s, but may die once in 12 hours and wipe their entire progression during that time. The game simply becomes unfun and fatiguing, which is probably why you haven't bothered to reach those high levels yourself.

sure. but you know why i do not bother with that? because lvl 100 is just a random number GGG used never considering there will be people stubborn enough to get there. but power of 'completionism' is strong with us and people are actually getting there. i miss old beta days when it took MONTHS to get there.

for me game ends at 90 when leveling is considered. any level above that is a coincidential bonus i get while playing a character i like. when i get bored with a character - i start another one and try to polish it

right now im perfecting my hierphant triple flame totem hybrid life/es/mom and ill consider it 'ok' if i get from 90 to 91 without a single death. but this is sport i created for myself.

and i wasnt addressing you nor 'getting to lvl100' issue from good players. check who created this thread. check who chimed in. people in their 60-70, who never really faced something you described. their builds have to be ASTONISHINGLY BAD for dying penalty to matter when lvl 70. they want this penalty to go instead of them getting better. and this is an attitude that triggers me badly.
bad people should be told they are bad and that they should get to work and get better. carebear parenting destroys societies and civilizations as a whole..

[Removed by Support]

Videogames are meant to pass time, to have fun not to be a fucking job.

And some of us like challenging fun. By removing the penalty, you may cater to some early level 70's, but you'll ruin it for everyone else (who like being challenged).

Again, there are other options on the market - use them.

"
EdenRage wrote:
I totally get it how someone asking people to 'git gud' is using a totem build to prove his point. lol

edit - is ggg even reading these forums so many threads already on this and lab and zero response..

Guess why.

And yes, they are reading it. There are 2 things to consider:
1. They do not want to affect the course of discussion.
2. They might simply not agree with views presented.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Sep 19, 2016, 4:57:26 AM
There should be a death penalty, else death would be meaningless and everyone would run a million DPS tabula rasa build.

The problem with the current death penalty is scaling. It's completely irrelevant upt to ~85 and horribly punishing after ~95. There's only a small window where the current flat % XP penalty feels about right.

XP penalty should scale according to player level. It should be a lot more harsh in early levels and milder in very late levels. Eg.: loose 99% of your XP at lvl 1 and 1% of your XP at level 99.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
i could agree that hard cap (counted in raw XP) is in order. that would fix lvl98 issue without making it possible to zerg your way to lvl100 (for people crazy enough to go there..)

however early game (normal and cruel) that would change little - people rarely die even if new and one can zerg some bosses.

problem is merciless and early maps and this tabula-meta. people are so addicted to damage 6link gives that they wont pick new chest but instead die repeatedly and whine about xp penaly. long ago we had mana costs that balanced tabula 6link power but right now anyone can sustain that no probem. this conditions people to raw power they not yet deserve.
"
morbo wrote:
There should be a death penalty, else death would be meaningless and everyone would run a million DPS tabula rasa build.

The problem with the current death penalty is scaling. It's completely irrelevant upt to ~85 and horribly punishing after ~95. There's only a small window where the current flat % XP penalty feels about right.

XP penalty should scale according to player level. It should be a lot more harsh in early levels and milder in very late levels. Eg.: loose 99% of your XP at lvl 1 and 1% of your XP at level 99.

Um, no. Sorry, but difficulty curve exists for a reason - the further you get, the harder it gets. Losing 99% of EXP a level 1 would be absolutely against that principle, making it impossible for new players to progress. There is no reason to punish players at early levels. And there is a reason why there is no penalty on Normal.
Last edited by Perq on Sep 19, 2016, 2:36:39 AM
"
Perq wrote:
Um, no. Sorry, but difficulty curve exists for a reason - the further you get, the harder it gets. Losing 99% of EXP a level 1 would be absolutely against that principle, making it impossible for new players to progress. There is no reason to punish players at early levels. And there is a reason why there is no penalty on Normal.

Ok, then skip penalty on Normal. The fact is that up to at least lvl 80, the current penalty system is irrelevant, because XP gain is cheap. Someone playing through all 3 quest difficulties is not forced to learn anything from his mistakes. (irrelevant XP penalty + unlimited TPs to zone).

PoE was supposed to be anti-carebear hardcore experience, or so I've been told in the past. Start punishing player mistakes already in Cruel, instead of giving them a free pass until late endgame.

A harsher penalty system would also make leveling less boring, because now it's a snoozefest. (at least the Lab makes you stop watching TV for a few minutes...). Maybe apply this in ladder leagues only.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
EdenRage wrote:
I totally get it how someone asking people to 'git gud' is using a totem build to prove his point. lol

OWNED
Last edited by frenrihr on Sep 19, 2016, 3:40:39 AM
"
frenrihr wrote:
"
EdenRage wrote:

OWNED

You wanna guess why GGG isn't taking your posts/suggestions seriously?
I'm gonna help you out a little here: GGG doesn't take people who write one-liners like OWNED seriously, because they are acting out of emotion, and not of reason.
And, as smart people know, decisions out of emotions are bad, most of the time. :_)
ignoring oneliners aside. ggg also checks player's performance and experience.

i would be concerned but i do not take slack from people not yet in maps. strong opinions require experience. someone that havent yet managed to get to maps in 3 years can shout OWNED as long as he wants but it is just hot air being wasted
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
it was halved...i vote bring it back to it's old value.

Me too.

Standard is standard for a reason.

The people who mock it are the 1% minority or don't even play standard. This game has the biggest amount of whiny elitism i've seen than almost any other game.
The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG
I vote to remove exp penalty and make it instead that you lose 10% rounded down, of all your currency in stash on dying. Problem solved.
Spreading salt since 2006

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info