Reduce drastically or eliminate completely the exp lose on death

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
What I'd rather see:
* Standard: lose some durability on gear you have equipped. Durability cannot be repaired and items with zero durability self-delete. But items have LOTS of durability, so you have to really suck to lose items. No XP or stash penalty.
* Legacy (replaces Hardcore): lose all XP. Character revived on Normal Twilight Stand, level 1, quests reset, but still wearing all gear at time of death. Can refuse to revive to maintain ladder standing; lost if revived to reclaim gear. No item transference to other leagues. No stash penalty.

Those are actually pretty good suggestions.

I'd say legacy characters should have a few pieces of gear destroyed at random on death, maybe randomly from 1 item up to half of what was equipped, and some kind of visual indicator of how many times they've died - maybe they look significantly more sickly and weak after each revival.

Other than that these suggestions would be an improvement over what we have now. It would give death far more league appropriate meaning.

Edit: I also really like not calling the hardcore league 'hardcore'. Giving it a name other than 'hardcore' reduces the implied themed limitations the league should have.
Last edited by GeorgAnatoly on Sep 19, 2016, 12:02:33 AM
"
frenrihr wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
fun observation:

the same people post in 'penalty for dying hurts me' and in 'lab is bad'. let me guess why

on topic: death penalty is the only way this game can say 'your build and/or your playstyle sucks, fix that'
you can take this hint and improve or moan on forums. your choice.

There you go boys, the "pro" just came to tell us that we should all roll the same retarded FOTM build that is not fun but will carry you through the contet.

Get lost.

youve managed to get to lvl 70 after 3.5 years. let this sink in.
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
frenrihr wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
fun observation:

the same people post in 'penalty for dying hurts me' and in 'lab is bad'. let me guess why

on topic: death penalty is the only way this game can say 'your build and/or your playstyle sucks, fix that'
you can take this hint and improve or moan on forums. your choice.

There you go boys, the "pro" just came to tell us that we should all roll the same retarded FOTM build that is not fun but will carry you through the contet.

Get lost.

youve managed to get to lvl 70 after 3.5 years. let this sink in.

Oh, look at this kid, think he is smart, you dont have any idea how stupid you are looking now.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
What I'd rather see:
* Standard: lose some durability on gear you have equipped. Durability cannot be repaired and items with zero durability self-delete. But items have LOTS of durability, so you have to really suck to lose items. No XP or stash penalty.
* Legacy (replaces Hardcore): lose all XP. Character revived on Normal Twilight Stand, level 1, quests reset, but still wearing all gear at time of death. Can refuse to revive to maintain ladder standing; lost if revived to reclaim gear. No item transference to other leagues. No stash penalty.
Those are actually pretty good suggestions.

I'd say legacy characters should have a few pieces of gear destroyed at random on death, maybe randomly from 1 item up to half of what was equipped, and some kind of visual indicator of how many times they've died - maybe they look significantly more sickly and weak after each revival.

Other than that these suggestions would be an improvement over what we have now. It would give death far more league appropriate meaning.

Edit: I also really like not calling the hardcore league 'hardcore'. Giving it a name other than 'hardcore' reduces the implied themed limitations the league should have.
Yeah, "Hardcore" is a really bad name. "Standard" or "Default" or something does make sense, because there's always a default.

The point of my divisions was this:
* Standard punishes gear but never XP or stash.
* Legacy punishes XP but never gear or stash.
* Cutthroat punishes "stash" but never XP or gear. (If you use currency as you gain it there's almost no death penalty - ideal for the PvP realm where unfair death will be a thing.)

I totally get that some players DESPISE the idea of losing items on death. That would be fine, because there'd be a league where that NEVER happens. Same deal with XP loss; if you hate that feeling of the neverending character level, you could just trade for more gear to replace stuff you break, or run a build with budget gear so you barely care about death at all.

Differences in kind, not differences in scale.

I do think a nice touch would be adding a "II" to the end of names of characters who've died once in Legacy, "III" if they'd died twice, etc.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 19, 2016, 12:47:15 AM
"
sidtherat wrote:
fun observation:

This is simply not true, considering I farm the lab no problem (4 minutes or less), and have been advocating against the death penalty (specifically, the scaling of it) for a while.

Sid, your highest level is 92. I'm not sure if you realize how extreme the penalty is at really high levels given the recent adjustments to XP returns for level 95-100.

There's nothing wrong with the build of an upper 90 who tanks shaper and chain farms T16s, but may die once in 12 hours and wipe their entire progression during that time. The game simply becomes unfun and fatiguing, which is probably why you haven't bothered to reach those high levels yourself.

Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Sep 19, 2016, 12:42:07 AM
"
Vhlad wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the build of an upper 90 who tanks shaper and chain farms T16s, but may die once in 12 hours and wipe their entire progression during that time. The game simply becomes unfun and fatiguing, which is probably why you haven't bothered to reach those high levels yourself.

sure. but you know why i do not bother with that? because lvl 100 is just a random number GGG used never considering there will be people stubborn enough to get there. but power of 'completionism' is strong with us and people are actually getting there. i miss old beta days when it took MONTHS to get there.

for me game ends at 90 when leveling is considered. any level above that is a coincidential bonus i get while playing a character i like. when i get bored with a character - i start another one and try to polish it

right now im perfecting my hierphant triple flame totem hybrid life/es/mom and ill consider it 'ok' if i get from 90 to 91 without a single death. but this is sport i created for myself.

and i wasnt addressing you nor 'getting to lvl100' issue from good players. check who created this thread. check who chimed in. people in their 60-70, who never really faced something you described. their builds have to be ASTONISHINGLY BAD for dying penalty to matter when lvl 70. they want this penalty to go instead of them getting better. and this is an attitude that triggers me badly.
bad people should be told they are bad and that they should get to work and get better. carebear parenting destroys societies and civilizations as a whole..

"
sidtherat wrote:
and i wasnt addressing you nor 'getting to lvl100' issue from good players. check who created this thread. check who chimed in. people in their 60-70, who never really faced something you described. their builds have to be ASTONISHINGLY BAD for dying penalty to matter when lvl 70. they want this penalty to go instead of them getting better. and this is an attitude that triggers me badly.
bad people should be told they are bad and that they should get to work and get better.
I don't think it's right to assume it's bad builds. Could be bad gear. Or bad piloting. Or bad video card (crappy FPS). You're jumping to conclusions just a little.

I do think that anyone who just watches some Twitch now and then - you don't even need to fucking play yourself, just watch some good players do HC things - should realize all kinds of things are doable, even with drastic death penalties, and a failure to recreate such success is personal rather than systemic.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Vhlad wrote:
Players asking for a harsher death penalty on standard: no characters above level 90, no hardcore characters. Seems legit.

Combined with the ramped up XP gain penalty at levels 95+, it has become a really unenjoyable experience mapping at those high levels.

Losing 10% becomes very significant, you lose over a full day of playtime when you die.

You have to play in a constant state of tension/awareness and it's so fatiguing because the majority of the content is just not difficult / engaging. It's a game designed to be played while watching TV with occasional RNG-based difficulty spikes that make you pay attention sometimes. Paying attention sometimes doesn't mesh with such a severe penalty.

The market for players who want a 10+ hour death penalty, but who don't want to play hardcore, is miniscule. The current design for high level players on standard makes no business sense.

I'm for keeping the death penalty as-is, and I have level over-90 character (in Standard and Essence) and a hardcore character (a single one - rest eats the dust).

I also say - then don't die. Can't push your character above certain level, because dying too much? Reroll a new one, change gear, improve mechanically. This is what keeps people playing. If you allow players to simply brute-force their way to 100, it instantly loses any meaning and because of that - fun.

Not to mention that getting level 90 means that you already have all you need for your character, so all there is to level up beyond that point is simply pushing your limits.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
Vhlad wrote:

sure. but you know why i do not bother with that? because lvl 100 is just a random number GGG used never considering there will be people stubborn enough to get there. but power of 'completionism' is strong with us and people are actually getting there. i miss old beta days when it took MONTHS to get there.

for me game ends at 90 when leveling is considered. any level above that is a coincidential bonus i get while playing a character i like. when i get bored with a character - i start another one and try to polish it

right now im perfecting my hierphant triple flame totem hybrid life/es/mom and ill consider it 'ok' if i get from 90 to 91 without a single death. but this is sport i created for myself.

bad people should be told they are bad and that they should get to work and get better. carebear parenting destroys societies and civilizations as a whole..

[Removed by Support]

Videogames are meant to pass time, to have fun not to be a fucking job.

Last edited by CJ_GGG on Sep 19, 2016, 1:41:53 AM
I totally get it how someone asking people to 'git gud' is using a totem build to prove his point. lol

edit - is ggg even reading these forums so many threads already on this and lab and zero response..
Last edited by EdenRage on Sep 19, 2016, 1:45:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info