"GGG considers it impossible for melee to reach t15 "

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
Furthermore, your opinion doesn't even make any sense because by the time you reach low to mid 90s and have nearly perfectly rolled gear in every slot, you've already given away all the carrots. Whether someone can tank the rest of the game or not isn't relevant, the character has progressed as far as he can go.
Let's not assume the passive tree should be without meaningful choice. If a player could Regret a DPS node to pick up a tankiness node, then there should be a balance to that choice.

This conversation is in the context of building a tank character, no? IDK why that character would have dps nodes on the passive tree.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Sep 24, 2016, 6:30:13 PM
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
Furthermore, your opinion doesn't even make any sense because by the time you reach low to mid 90s and have nearly perfectly rolled gear in every slot, you've already given away all the carrots. Whether someone can tank the rest of the game or not isn't relevant, the character has progressed as far as he can go.
Let's not assume the passive tree should be without meaningful choice. If a player could Regret a DPS node to pick up a tankiness node, then there should be a balance to that choice.
This conversation is in the context of building a tank character, no? IDK why that character would have dps nodes on the passive tree.
I'm talking outside of the context of "mindlessly force tankiest build possible" and assuming a player would need a results-based rationale behind choice.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 24, 2016, 6:45:58 PM
As a melee player, I'm amazed there is even an argument over this one. The solution to surviving a boss encounter as melee should never be "have a ranged attack" or "don't play as melee".
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
I'm talking outside of the context of "mindlessly force tankiest build possible" and assuming a player would need a results-based rationale behind choice.

Again this conversation is in the context of building the tankiest character the game will allow so I'm not sure why you're saying this.

"
nuveau wrote:
As a melee player, I'm amazed there is even an argument over this one. The solution to surviving a boss encounter as melee should never be "have a ranged attack" or "don't play as melee".

This kind of stuff goes on regularly in these forums, you should see some of the threads I've been in before, utter nonsense from certain people in nearly every thread.
Although there are a few who at least attempt to make a real argument when they do it, I'm not sure what the goal is for the other dudes who are clearly just... idk, trolling maybe. But it's way too consistent to be just trolling, there are clearly people with a stake in making the game bad posting in here (not talking about scrotie, but there are others).
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Sep 24, 2016, 10:58:43 PM
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
"
Demonoz wrote:
If i did play HC i would have a finger on a logout key at all times. And wouldn't give a shit what anyone thought about it either. Maybe its just dont have the time to burn like that having a job and family and all that good stuff. Guess i make the most of the time i do have. \m/

That's the thing about this game, so many times where having your finger on the logout key doesn't help because of sudden 52k damage out of nowhere. That shit only hurts the game.

There are lots of underused good mechanics in this game like necromancers or high-life + life regen combo where you have to be dealing enough damage or you can't kill them. Proximity shield is a good mechanic too. BC and freeze are both good mechanics. Far shot COULD be good, but the problem with far shot is you get hit before you realize it's there. A couple small tweaks would make far shot great.

What's not a good mechanic is bosses dealing instantly 13k ehp just because you happen to be in melee range. How about instead of straight up SHITTING on melee just put a reverse proximity shield on the mob to force melee out? Why does melee have to CONSTANTLY move to range to avoid instant death? This shit is fucking stupid and it's part of the reason I refuse to play POE right now

Well like i said in my comment one big issue with hits like that is the high crit chance boss's have. It makes even their normal attacks capable of one shotting which when those cases happen it feels shitty.
Id rather see that crit chance toned down and more health added instead so we still have to deal with mechanics but not unfair roll of the dice one shots that sometimes can be completely random because it just happen to roll a crit. From what ive read its not only crit chance bosses have but crit multi as well. Not sure exactly how much but ive heard something like 100% inc crit chance and not sure about the multi.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Sep 24, 2016, 11:13:17 PM
"
Demonoz wrote:

Well like i said in my comment one big issue with hits like that is the high crit chance boss's have.

A boss that hits so hard that it is threatening to many ( people building defenses I mean, a significant enough amouint ) should not be able to crit imho, it's just stupid.
If it's well telegraphed ... why not but, then we would always have a doubt of what can crit and what cannot.
Bosses that hits really hard, should not be able to crit, seriously (imho).

"
Legatus1982 wrote:
There are lots of underused good mechanics in this game like necromancers or high-life + life regen combo where you have to be dealing enough damage or you can't kill them.

Monsters really hard to kill because oh stupidly high regen are a good and underused mechanic ??? seriously ?
Have you been playing at all recently or what ?
I suspect you haven't, which makes out of touch to speak about such balance matters.

Bosses do not deal 13k dmg just because you are in melee range.
Apart from the OP's cases, which is why it is a problem, but apart from that, bosses don't do this, basically.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Sep 25, 2016, 12:33:30 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
allbusiness wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Saying the game needs to be designed around shitty internet is like saying games need to be designed around shitty video cards; some games should be so people with that stuff have games to play, but they definitely don't need to be designed that way. Get your ISP unfucked. If you can't, sorry that your locality is shit. Or just do what I did and accept the occasional bullshit lag-spike death happens - just part of the deal when using bargain internet service.
You used to defend the old net code that GGG had for the very same reason of shitty internet. Let's not be a hypocrite.
You must have me confused for someone else. Here's just one example among many. Please, give me some of whatever you're smoking.

Or do you really mean: I disagreed with some suggestion you had back in the day, because it violated the laws of physics?

I will confirm that scrotie mc B was at the forfront of telling GGG to fix their netcode, and offering suggestions on how to fix it, many of which are most likely being used right now in lockstep.
A scion may be born of the rich, and as such hold more opportunity...
but a scion will never be able to appreciate the finer beauty of those less fortunate.
"
I will confirm that scrotie mc B was at the forfront of telling GGG to fix their netcode, and offering suggestions on how to fix it, many of which are most likely being used right now in lockstep.
Unlikely, as I was against lockstep (much as GGG was). Maybe they used some ideas for the improvements to Predictive Mode; that'd be nice.

Point is, even if my suggestions maybe weren't so great, it's silly to say I was defending GGG's netcode. Defending the idea of, rather than current implementation of, predictive would be a fair criticism... but their methodology for predictive was horrible.

To be fair to allbusiness, he could have meant what I just said and just used the wrong words. My reaction wasn't that great.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 26, 2016, 3:38:51 AM
"
Fruz wrote:

"
Legatus1982 wrote:
There are lots of underused good mechanics in this game like necromancers or high-life + life regen combo where you have to be dealing enough damage or you can't kill them.

Monsters really hard to kill because oh stupidly high regen are a good and underused mechanic ??? seriously ?
Have you been playing at all recently or what ?
I suspect you haven't, which makes out of touch to speak about such balance matters.

Bosses do not deal 13k dmg just because you are in melee range.
Apart from the OP's cases, which is why it is a problem, but apart from that, bosses don't do this, basically.

Oh really? I'm out of touch because I like necromancers and life+life regen as mechanics? The current clear speed meta doesn't make these mechanics bad, it means ggg is shit at balance which we already knew.

And mobs not doing 13k damage to melee ROFL do you even play this game? I guess volatile isn't real? I guess bearer isn't real? I guess giant skeletons and bears with bullshit mod combos on them don't exist? I guess that new boss doesn't drop anti melee holes in the floor?

Oh btw I took a second to think about it and there's also the smoke mod which is basically a reverse proximity shield, I should have known ggg wouldn't have forgotten their anti melee version of proximity already.
-----
Bug Fixes:
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Sep 26, 2016, 7:28:04 AM
If you mean mobs that have high life and high life regen, then yes, you are out of touch with the game in saying that they are underused because most essence mobs are like that .....

If you get hit by bearer, it does not mean that you are just melee ... it also means that you have a stunningly slow reaction time, and the game is punishing you for it.
A range moving and not paying attention will die too.

And yes, you do not take 13k hits just because you are in melee range.

And by the way, the smoke shrouded smonters are worse again attack based ranged.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Sep 26, 2016, 9:34:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info