My Version of Mjolner 2.4 Essence League

Hello fellow Exiles !!

First of all before we start, i just want to say that my build was based on Rico's "[2.4] Mjolner done right by Rico": https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1606509

Thing is I've made some modification to the tree and gear.

So my character is currently level 88 in Essence league and everything is going quite well. I can easily clear red tier map and I went through Uber Lab without any problems.

What I like:
-Build is VERY tanky
-5.750 life
-83% fire Res
-79% cold Res
-79% fire Res
-Arctic Armor + Purity of Fire + Fortify
-No 6L required ( I did Uber Lab with 4L only )
-Healing is INSANE because of KingsGuard
-THIS BUILD SATISFACTION IS OVER 9000!!!!

What I dislike:
-Lag of course
-Leveling was painful
-Meeting Stats requirement was also painful
-Character is slow
-It is quite hard to reach that next level damage you need for red tier

The Must Must Have Items !:
Spoiler

Of course you could make this work without KingsGuard and repetence but Repetance just brings you the tons of damage you need and KingsGuard is simply a must have item for this build. It Simple, KingsGuard makes it so you dont die.... Ever.

My Current Gear:
Spoiler

Update !:
Rerolled Kingsguard for:

I am Also using 3 jewels:
1st: 16str,14%lightning damage, 8str+int
2nd:15%firedmg,15%lightning dmg
3rd:15%firedmg,14%armour,10%area damage

My Tree Level 88:
Spoiler

At the moment there is no Iron Reflexes in this tree but I highly recommend taking it.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAAHnBLMFLQthES0UIBRNFm8W6RiRGjgaPiGQJDckqicvKS4snC3SMtE1kjboNuk64TwFPC09_ECgRKtFR0ZpRtdN41BHVa5VtVcpWGNZ814TXz9f0GFSZlRmnmebaFho8nGFcg9yqXaseu98g3y4fNmCB4IQgpuDX4PMhmCJ2IzPj6aQVZRvmFeaO57Nnz6fy6IApwinMKyqrY2uPq9stz68n78IwGbBBMQVxPbGrsbYz37SIdWm15bYvdl837Dhc-Nq5FHqEOoY6-7tPO8O707vfPAf8kHyRfZI9zL4X_rS_Ev-Cv6P?accountName=torrent41111&characterName=RIP_Thor

Videos:
Spoiler
Random Tier 10 Quay Map: https://youtu.be/2x2BFOX0xRo
Bazaar Map Tier 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmykbKg0OVU&feature=youtu.be
Uber Lab: Coming soon
Atziri run: Coming soon

Hope you gus enjoy !!!
Last edited by torrent41111 on Oct 4, 2016, 1:23:24 PM
Last bumped on Oct 4, 2016, 1:19:42 PM
I haven't brushed off the dust of my Mjolner char from the changes in 2.4, but here are a few comments/thoughts about your build.

On your Molten Strike setup, Melee Phys really should be swapped out for GMP, though I'm unsure on how effective it is because of the nerf. Yeah, getting RRRGG on Kingsguard is a nightmare, but well worth it. Mjolner's melee damage is pretty much worthless, so you're almost better off leaving that socket empty to reduce the mana cost of Molten Strike.

I'd swap the helm for a Devoto's Devotion. It has 4 stats that are great for Mjolner builds. Movement speed, attack speed, dex, and chaos res. Since Mjolner can't abuse Whirling Blades, it has to slowboat it's way everywhere, or use shield charge, both of which are based off of movement speed. Attack speed helps with Molten Strike proc rates, though again I'm unsure how they're affected now with the nerf. It will also make Shield Charge go faster. Mjolner builds are always dex starved and Devoto's Devotion has tons of it. Chaos res is a nice to have stat and even getting it up to 0% makes a huge difference.

Your boots should have move speed on them. Yeah, it'll make them a lot more expensive, but that's the cost of going fast.

The crafts on your belt and ring are both pretty useless because Mjolner's melee damage is pretty much negligible. When you can scour it off the belt and I'd recommend "Flask Life Recovery Rate +%" on it. However for your ring, there really isn't anything else to craft onto it that's more useful. I'd suggest ES, but since you're running Blood Rage, your ES will never regen anyways and it will actually make you take slightly more damage from Blood Rage.

The tree generally looks fine, but it is lacking on the damage nodes. Personally I prefer crit Mjolner to RT Mjolner because it does a bit more damage and perma-flasks, but then again I run legacy surgeon's on Standard which isn't available to everyone. Since you're not a Juggernaut, I'd suggest trying to get an even balance of power charges and endurance charges. If you took Alira, then you have 4 power, 4 endurance, which might be a bit low. 5 and 5 might be better since with the reduced proc rate of Mjolner, you might be sitting at a higher number of charges now. Grabbing Golem's Blood isn't particularly efficient points wise, but I can understand it if you need those str nodes. You might get more bang for you buck doing this:

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAQHnBLMLYREtFCAUTRVQFm8W6RiRGjgaPhzcIZAkNySqJy8pLiycLdIy0TWSNug26TrhPAU8LT38RKtFR0ZpRtdN41BHVa5VtVcNVylYY1nzXz9f0GZUZp5nm2hYaGVo8nGFcg9yqXasfIN8uHzZggeCEIKbg1-DzInYjM-PGo-mkFWUb5hXmjuezZ8-n8uiAKcIpzCsqq2Nrj6vbLc-vJ-_CMBmwQTEFcT2xq7G2M9-0iHVpteW2L3ZfNrd37Dhc-Nq5FHqEOoY6-7tPO8O73zwH_JB8kXzm_ZI9zL4X_rS_Ev-Cv6P

You gain 10 dex, 10 int, 2 jewel sockets and lose 10 str, 15% life and 1% life regen. The life can be almost be made up with 2x 7% life jewels and the str can be made up with str on one of those life jewels. Depending on your luck with crafting, or poe.trade, you can possibly get 3 to 5 more useful affixes across those jewels to boost your damage as well.
Last edited by InBobWeTrust on Sep 16, 2016, 1:36:01 AM
I’m playing hc Essence and decided to give a variant of this build a shot. My thought was, “Mjolner and Voll’s Devotion should be pretty cheap now considering all the nerfs.” Well I started leveling my character before actually checking the prices. I guess I shoulda checked them beforehand! :( Then it wasn’t until I completed Cruel Laby before I realized that I had forgotten about the Unrelenting nerf (now only get full end charges 25% of the time). I was pretty disappointed in myself, but I had already bought the gear, so decided to give it a shot anyway. I’ve been pleasantly surprised. The damage isn’t great, but it’s pretty good. And, the build is tanky as hell. I’m currently lvl 84 and have basically face tanked every boss through t12 maps.

"
InBobWeTrust wrote:
On your Molten Strike setup, Melee Phys really should be swapped out for GMP, though I'm unsure on how effective it is because of the nerf.

You are correct, Melee Phys is a waste here. However, unless you are using LGoH in links, so is GMP. The cast frequency is limited, so more hits per time is not an effective way to scale the damage anymore. I used to use Molten Strike with my Mjolner builds, but I’ve actually switched to cyclone with this one. Since you can’t get more discharges per time, you may as well be mobile and negate stun without taking Unwavering (little evasion goes a long way). You also don’t have to use multistrike, so you can throw an extra utility support in there. My links are:

Cyclone-FA-LGoH-Fortify-BM (Life from Kingsgaurd is huge, LGoH is a bit of bonus)
Discharge-Cont Des-Fire Pen
Shield Charge-FA-Fortify-BM
CwDT-Imm Call-Inc Dur-Flame Golem
Reckoning-Vengeance-Curse on Hit-Enfeeble
PoF, PoL, AA

"
InBobWeTrust wrote:
I'd swap the helm for a Devoto's Devotion. It has 4 stats that are great for Mjolner builds. Movement speed, attack speed, dex, and chaos res……… Your boots should have move speed on them. Yeah, it'll make them a lot more expensive, but that's the cost of going fast.

Devoto’s isn’t a bad choice, but in hc and already requiring so many uniques, I felt it necessary to get a big life roll on my helmet. Ya, dex can be a problem, but Mjolner builds require a lot of attribute stats. I went with a helm with big Str and Int rolls and picked up Dex in my rare ring slot. Move speed is always nice, but my build actually has none. I’ve picked up enough ias to make shield charge tolerable, and that is what I use exclusively to get around. I actually like low move speed when procing with cyclone, as it makes it easier to stay on bosses. When the bosses move a lot then it is a different story though.

"
InBobWeTrust wrote:
The tree generally looks fine, but it is lacking on the damage nodes. Personally I prefer crit Mjolner to RT Mjolner because it does a bit more damage and perma-flasks, but then again I run legacy surgeon's on Standard which isn't available to everyone.

Those things are nice, but not really doable in an hc challenge league. I focused more on hp and block than either of the 2 builds discussed in this thread thus far. This will be my tree at lvl 86 after having taken Oak, Krat, Oak. Additional points will be used to fill out the life wheel.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEBAMbYWGPzjcAB97k9_PSDBsYWu4zPXaT2SN3VXz8aPhQgfuLvDnk5UEfp1Z7N0iGnMFcN8kEB59lhlmzzm4IHFE026K2Nkc5oZdl8_EsaVYcpRmnPfryfYSF2rBiRhO_qGKLqYuzawfcyEuFNRi5TdO1yqXzZwYLTbwUtxPYvzHrvr6fEFcauhNkczj0PPC1HfitQfLsGOYNfg8y9Ng3NOtj7qrc-ZU3-VCcvAZHsOPMG_gq-p5BVLdKCm4V7UWDYvRo4mjtmVJ_f7TzvfDwF1abAZgSzogDwH-QiGmw26SSqFm_jag==

"
InBobWeTrust wrote:
Since you're not a Juggernaut, I'd suggest trying to get an even balance of power charges and endurance charges. If you took Alira, then you have 4 power, 4 endurance, which might be a bit low.

This would definitely have been the way to go with the old mechanics. The problem now is that only one spell casts at a time. Therefore, it’s not efficient to use something like Arc+Discharge with Arc generating all of the power charges through Romira’s. With cyclone, the most power charges that I ever generate for each discharge is 2, anything more would be a waste. Large numbers of charges will be end charges gained through the Unrelenting mod, which only occurs 25% of the time.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts. If I’m wrong about any of this then please let me know. I’m currently trying to figure out a way to squeeze more dps out of this guy. Some boss fights are taking a painfully long time!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info