Standard Stigma - Why the social inequality?

I have been playing this game for a couple years now, primarily in standard. I have played a couple leagues here and there with the recent prophecy league being one of my favorites. Throughout the years I have noticed one thing. Players who play in leagues think they are better or superior to thise in standard in every way. They often trash talk about players who enjoy standard league, or players who do leagues only to become more rich in standard, ie players who are standard focused. I really don't understand it. Often leagues don't offer anything special other than an opportunity to experience possible new content that will be added to standard. Most of the leagues in fact are not new or special but just reskins of similar mechanics for different or new items. For example essence league is similar to perandus league, it offers no special mechanic but offers new possible items through crafting.

When talking to players in game on leagues they oftain describe standard league negatively, as being trash, pointless, & easy mode since wealth always accumulates there with items that no longer drop being maintained there. As such they see leagues as harder as they have challenges that change how you play, and are limited to items that are obtainable currently.

For me I love standard as it allows me to easily find items I desire for a reasonable price, which allows me to try new builds, and increase replayability and overall enjoyment of the game. What I hate about standard is selling stuff, as most stuff you obtain have no real value. Players will not stop what they are doing to sell something for a chaos or a few chaos, most of the time. In fact in leagues I found it a drag to be forced to sell something some one wanted that had low value, some times resulting in me ignoring them. This is probably the source of negativity for most players in leagues, and I assume standard players just cope with it. In leagues it is definitely easier to sell things, and of a higher value. The thing I dislike though is starting over, as by now the leveling process through the story has grown boring. So I do leagues I find interesting that will have items that are likely to be nerfed before they make it to standard as they will have high value in standard as they are unobtainable.

Anyways my question is why is standard stigmatized. From what I am aware of more players are in standard than leagues. Players hate trading in standard as the economy makes so many items, even if they are good, very low value, thus not worth the time to sell. Due to the inability to lose your items, the game is considered easy mode by those who play in leagues if you play in standard.

As such I believe the economy in standard is problematic as it appears to be the larger problem in why it is stigmatized. There are ways to fix this. For example continue making fated uniques. But maybe also try doing events in standard as well as in leagues at the same time. This will make it so there is new content for standard players when league players get new content. Likewise it means players will have to actually decide to play league or standard instead of automatically playing every new league if they dislike standard. Alternatively add league content to standard at the same time. Likewise instead of making fated uniques for all items that are simply terrible, unused, and low value, maybe just buff them. In fact there are some uniques that have been nerfed in the past that certainly need to be rebuffed now. One of the few issues in standard is it rarely changes in a significant way. Simply changing how much damage monsters deal, or what skills they use, or how strong those skills are will change how the game is played. Make the changes standard specific while leagues get their changes and their fresh economy.
Chroniccomplainerreviews.wordpress.com

Your source for quality honest reviews to save you time and money!
Last bumped on Sep 20, 2016, 7:38:33 AM
People need to feel superior. If they have nothing to feel superior, they just make shit up.
"This is a Buff"
-------------------------------
There is an old almost forgotten prophecy, that hell will freeze over.
But we just recently discovered the true cause of this unlikely event:
By the time GGG manage to balance their game.
People in hardcore( at least in my opinion) think standard is easier really because there is no punishment for dying. Yea lesson learned but it doesn't teach the player to fix their resists, find gear upgrades through loot/master crafting or actually look at their tree for flaws(aka low hp). When a player comes against something they can't beat they simply can just suicide run it and although they shouldn't be progressing past that point they still can.

Where in hardcore if not prepared for the task at hand you die and that's it. You can't just progress with your character who isn't ready without circumventing the game play somehow. (IE paying for boss kill). Some people feel that standard play gives you so many breaks on a lot of things important to progressing through. But more importantly it lets the player ignore the almighty important defense aspect of their character until they cant suicide run through their map boss.

The only real punishment is XP at higher levels and its a fair argument. I wish the XP penalty was rougher at low levels personally. But this penalty cannot forgo the facts that standard is indeed easier to play and progress farther in. I could go on and on why hardcore is tougher but that doesn't answer your question about why the players feel that standard is inferior.

As to why hardcore players need to consistently prove they are better, more often than not it's gonna be trolling / anyone < 18. it's not like they are playing self found every character and actually making the game very difficult. Cause the ones playing like that are too busy playing(or being mature, yes i said it) to want to bash other players. We just want to enjoy a game not balanced around trading. And it's doable although it takes more time. But some people like to enjoy a game more than just end game maps. The joy in making a build and it being able to make it to mapping without twink gear is a great feeling. I almost feel like it should be a build tag (SSF viable).
Also, people like to generalize. They attribute characteristics of some people that play standard to all people that play standard.

I've given standard a go and find it pretty unsatisfying, but can't see myself going back to playing HC either. Not very happy with what they've done to their game.
Shh, no one mention hc!
"
Jgizle wrote:
For example essence league is similar to perandus league, it offers no special mechanic but offers new possible items through crafting.

You should try it before saying things like this.
Standard haters are usually noobs mad cause they got here late. Therefore they can't afford all they want. Either that or they're hc players that have their inherent bragging rights.

I think its a joke though because often times the people dissing it are dissing it in standard global lol.
Only inferior people need to feel superior :)
-Forever Casual-
IGN: Zzerk
TLDR: Who gives a fuck.

In a lot of cases I don't necessarily think that league players think they are "better" than others just for playing league.

However, I do think that their P.O.V. stems from an opinion; in which leagues are better than playing standard in general.

Let's face it, the games focal majority effort seems to be present within league materials.

Let's face it, the "economic value" of particular gear in standard is a little out of whack in the opinions of many exiles.

Let's face it, league players get a refresh on the "economic situation" every time one starts a new.

Let's face it, standard is a "so called dumpster league," in the notion that; it is the place where everything go's to die. (A burial ground, of sorts, if you may.)

Let's face it, standard is the home of legacy gear. Of which, various members of the community particularly despise.

Let's face it, I could go on, but I prolly should stop saying, "let's face it."

In any case, some people are just pricks. Similar to HC, a player who chooses to play HC, isn't automatically better at the game, than a player whom decides to play standard or league. Some HC players can't even make it past level 30 for example. Anyone can die in HC. All they did differently in this situation, was click a different button at a selection window. But, that's really not the point.

Players will obviously cater to their "realm" of choice over others. It's their personal preference. It's what they enjoy that's most important. As it should be with everyone.

Some standard players are very good at the game. Some are bad.
Some league players are very good at the game. Some are bad.
Some hardcore players are very good at the game. Some are bad.
Some hardcore league players are very good at the game. Some are bad.
Some players race. Some are very good. Some are bad.
Some players play all kinds of formats, and don't really give a fuck about anything.
Some players just enjoy being dirty assholes.

It's all about having fun. Fun, and defense mechanisms. And, dirty assholes.

As far as not being here early enough? As far as not being able to afford shit? That's a bunch of bullshit IMHO. Iv been here since closed beta, for example. I couldn't give a shit about standard other than using it to test builds for new leagues.

But the aforementioned is just my personal opinion, and that shouldn't bother you.

Personally, I prefer league play, because I get more enjoyment with my time spent there. For various aforementioned reasons. Plus some reasons that I neglected to mention at all. All of which, are my personal opinions, and tastes.

In conclusion, in a lot of cases; players who talk shit about standard, or various other formats that they themselves do not enjoy in comparison to what they choose to play, are talking shit about the format. Not necessarily the individuals playing said format. EX: If I say, "Fuck standard." A standard player might take offense to it. Not because I insulted him or her, but because I insulted his format of choice. You know what I am saying? People tend to get defensive, and associate their choices as a personal attachment of sorts. It's like a metaphorical kick in the gonads, so to speak.

Anyhoo, I think I'v contributed enough to this topic. I'll shut up now.

TLDR: Who gives a fuck.
SUPPORT TAGS LIMIT REACHED!!?? - Fine then....
twitch.tv/amity13
Last edited by AmityXIII on Sep 14, 2016, 10:31:46 PM
I enjoy Standard because all my favorite characters eventually move there, and I enjoy playing them. I usually delete my least favorite or least used character(s) to make ones for the temp leagues.

While the temp leagues are fun and it's nice to try new items in a setting where you have nothing to begin with, it's also nice to play a fully developed powerful build that you've been working on for a while.

As someone who plays both Standard and leagues, and enjoys them both, I would say people who diss on Standard don't really understand that some people don't like starting over all the time and enjoying working on a character in the long term.

They're also probably frustrated that when they do play standard people rarely buy their items.
There are so many items in Standard that rare items are only purchased if they meet the requirements of the buyer in terms of stats and are inexpensive (those will be bought first). Uniques sell more often but usually only if they are GG or legacy (like an item you would use in an endgame build as a piece), and are cheaper than all the equivalent ones on the market.

Temp leagues (and their ladders) are temporary, but Standard ladder is forever.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info