New T12 bosses overtuned

Some bosses are definitely in need of some tweaking, and Necropolis is one of them, IMHO. I get the idea of what the boss is supposed to do and why he should be dangerous, but this sort of falls into the same category of how the necromancer enemies pretty much almost never miss with their curses because of 'smart auto-targeting'. Same applies to the Vaal Glacial Hammer the boss uses...it pretty much never misses, but that's the first issue.

Second issue is that the debuff from the physical spikes stacks far too quickly and low-armour builds will absolutely get shredded to death, even worse because the DoT that is created lingers for a few seconds. That's fine if you're a life build as you can pop flasks, and I assume heavy armour and defense builds will not be tickled that much. However, for LL builds that rely on ES pools and use their other flask slots for other defenses, and may only run a CWDT+IC setup for some type of physical mitigation, at most they will only get one brief second of safety. Of course, the DoT lasts much longer than that, and again, it doesn't wear off immediately once you get out of the spikes.

This is made even worse if you're doing the map with Temporal Chains, Twinned, and I would assume that extra damage mods will apply to the spike damage as well...Temp Chains being particularly nasty. Not only that, but the boss has no limit as to how many times he can use the attack, despite it being a Vaal skill that only holds one charge for a player. I get that it's a boss, but this has always been a peeve of mine when bosses have player skills, or skills that seem to follow their own ruleset that are outside of what a player may get used to, BUT...whatever...bosses will be bosses.

The fight certainly calls for a movement skill like Leap Slam, Whirling Blades, Blink Arrow, Flame Dash, or Lightning Warp, but not every build may use those, nor is it right to assume that all builds 'should have a movement skill' and design a boss fight with that somewhat heavily in mind. And even if you do use the movement skill, you're still going to take some stack ticks from the DoT, and they're still going to linger and cause damage, even though you're out of them, and honestly should drop off immediately as soon as you clear them. That, or the ice circle could be a bit bigger and the spikes setup so that they follow a 'path' that you can see and try and dodge them within the limited space you have, which would actually provide a good use of skill to avoid damage instead of it being as 'binary' as it is now.

I do give credit for GGG for making the boss fights harder overall, as in general they needed to be a bit more challenging, but some of them, like Necropolis IMHO, need some tweaking still.
"
Char1983 wrote:
Power creep will make the whole problem only worse over time.

Even though I don't like the term power creep in this case it's certainly true.
Bosses deal way too much damage and attack way too fast tbh. Combine it with a couple of map mods and your ranged 5k life, 30k evasion char is gonna get destroyed in a small bossroom unless you have over the top micromanagement and can dodge everything. Since you getting one shot anyway. It's almost impossible building a ranged char in a temp league who can clear maps fast without getting destroyed by map bosses unless you abuse the current poison / chaos dmg meta.
Last edited by dEus__ on Oct 23, 2016, 8:33:30 AM
I think it is safe to assume that every character has a movement skill. I think that is not too much to ask. So you can get out of that ice ring with Flame Dash, Lightning Warp, Leap Slam or Blink Arrow. The only problem with that is Whirling Blades won't get you out of the ring.

With an ES character, by the way, you most likely have one or two Vaal Discipline, so you can park in the physical DOT and not have a problem for a few seconds.

Other than that, I cannot really comment other than with 4.7k HP you do not get oneshot by a lot of things in the game. The Necropolis boss certainly does not oneshot. I've run it a few times, and never died to it on a 4.7k HP ranger. However, I have to admit that after a few changes to my build, he now dies in about 3 seconds, so does not have much time to attack.

In general, I like that the new bosses are harder, but I do not like how the bosses are now very much harder than the rest of the map. If you can kill the map boss, most likely the rest of the map is going to be complete snooze (unless you spawn some Beyond bosses).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Necro boss is not really a prob tbh. His room is rather big and clean. There's not much going on. He doesn't chain his attacks in a machinegun like way etc.

Bosses like Plaza or Excavation on the other hand are just big clusterfucks.
"
Roukoswarf wrote:
I ran through both the new vault and necropolis maps on my softcore standard 10k ES 150k DPS EK witch with ease, except for the bosses, both maps I ate through every portal on the bosses.

Vault:
Had dual boss, enfeeble, reduced phy, elemental equilibrium. Entire room filled with unkillable minions which hit for 2-3k each hit, kiting didnt work, as they out-swarm mobility skills, and the boss doesnt follow you.
After about 4 deaths, the boss just stood in the middle ish of the arena, immune to damage, not moving or animated.

Necropolis:
Had dual boss. Boss traps you in a circular frost wall, then a physical ground effect kills you while youre trapped, especially as an ES character with no armor.
My build doesnt have any gem slots left for a teleport, does this mean this boss cant be done by anyone who doesnt have a teleport on hand?

If an overgeared standard character can't survive, who can? Am I doing it wrong?

The Vault boss can hit very hard a be a little tricky if your not able to get around. This is where having some sort of movement skill is very handy. Ive had little problems with this boss even double versions but i also have blink arrow to get me out of tight situations that can arise.

Same with Nerco boss yes you do pretty much need some sort of movement skill or be at least moving when he puts the ice cicle around you. It is worth mentioning that ice circle is actually bugged from what i can tell... If you are running with 30% MS boots not even with a QS up when he puts the circle on you.. you will run right through it not getting trapped within it. Ive noticed this happen quite a few times but im also playing a build that is constantly moving. But yeah simply running when he does this will make it so you cant get trapped apparently. In fact ive yet to get trapped by it and be forced to Blink Arrow out yet. I litterly run right through the ice as it comes around me every time.

That said i would also hate to think if i ever did get trapped in that for long... Ive run back through those physical spikes before and it does quite a bit of damage so i imagine if you was to get trapped inside the vaal GH you would need to get out quick because you wouldn't last very long otherwise.
But yeah i pretty much always run something like Flame Dash or Blink Arrow on all builds even ones with things like WBs just for the utility of getting around certain maps faster as well as situations like these boss's. IT really makes a difference.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Oct 23, 2016, 1:34:37 PM
Yeah well they are new and they will get tweaked.
Censored.
"
Roukoswarf wrote:

Making a boss that fills the entire arena with unavoidable adds is not difficulty, it's broken.

Oh boy, hope you never have to try and run a Pit of the Chimera map. Only had the one drop, and ofc had to corrupt it...got completely wrecked by the adds . Movement skill didnt do me any good, the ads (which I think includes the boss morphed as one) moved just as fast.
"
Char1983 wrote:
I think it is safe to assume that every character has a movement skill. I think that is not too much to ask. So you can get out of that ice ring with Flame Dash, Lightning Warp, Leap Slam or Blink Arrow. The only problem with that is Whirling Blades won't get you out of the ring.

You mean "'Shield Charge' wont get you out" here?

"
Char1983 wrote:

With an ES character, by the way, you most likely have one or two Vaal Discipline, so you can park in the physical DOT and not have a problem for a few seconds.

Dont know about the timing/durations but if you run out of Vaal Discipline with 20(?) bonespire charges you may rip in 1sec... There are similar RIP posts out there with leech instead. Leeching while building up stacks. Then running running out of leech (boss dead or whatever). RIP.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 11:31:25 PM
Well, I like the idea of bosses being either "learning by failing" or "do your freakin' homework". The first suitable for soft core, the latter a must for hard core. Either way, now you KNOW that you should bring a movement skill when fighting the Necro boss. Now it's time to sit down, and focus on "what can I learn from the Vault fight?

1) My build can't handle double bosses here, next time, i don't roll double bosses. (Should EVERY build be able to handle ALL map mods? I don't think so)

2) Maybe I'll choas the next Vault map with reduces physical, as I deal mostly physical damage?

Thousands of people are doing these bosses in the temp leagues - with A LOT of different builds. They are absolutely doable - but you have to prepare and learn.

If a boss fight doesn't force you to prepare... Might as well don't exist.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info