The Dot spam and Bots

I'm sure this has already been brought up but since the league has started the community has decided to do some really idiotic things every time a bot posts spam into chat. It's really annoying and does nothing but validate the bots who actually make the original spam post, not to mention it makes the spam much much worse.

GGG has a huge filter in place to try to weed out bots and from a developers standpoint, it's literally impossible to completely weed out all bots before they spam. While no game is perfect at removing these types of people, only about 0.0001% of them make it past their first post. This is why chat bots use special characters or spell out the websites in funny ways such as w-w-double-u dot e/x@mple dot c\o/m.

The mods have already mentioned that spamming the chat is a breach of the terms of service. I'm directing this post towards both GGG and the people who are doing this. For the people who do this idiocy, just stop spamming the chat and report the bots. GGG, please do something. Chat ban them for an hour or make a huge post or do something to stop this behavior before it gets further out of control.
Last edited by draakisback on Sep 7, 2016, 4:25:53 AM
Last bumped on Oct 26, 2017, 2:53:34 AM
Global chat lol
I think it's good, I'd rather see the dot spam than the spam and by doing it they're helping GGG identify spam by giving the filter something to look for, humans are much better than the best filter. Only downside would be if they started using it against legitimate posters.
Last edited by scrollo on Sep 7, 2016, 5:32:32 AM
Hey there, I'd like to chime in about this.

The Support team gets rid of spambots in-game within a few seconds of their first line of spam, so there's actually no need to spam chat with full stops in order to "combat" the spammers as they're already gone.

The full stops are very disruptive to chat: they do constitute as spam, and if you spam chat then your account may be muted.
Need some help? Contact us at support@grindinggear.com

Queen of Padlocks
"

The Support team gets rid of spambots in-game within a few seconds of their first line of spam, so there's actually no need to spam chat with full stops in order to "combat" the spammers as they're already gone.

The full stops are very disruptive to chat: they do constitute as spam, and if you spam chat then your account may be muted.

Why don't you then cooy the exact same text and block ALL users spamming THE EXACT SAME TEXT. This changes only 1-2 times per league instead of how many "new" characters use the same lines...
No Problem,
Exile
I totally thought you mean DoT spam when I saw the title. XD
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"

Do you not realize that the reason people do the dot thing is not so that the spambots get muted/banned or anything, it's so that they can get the wall text the hell off of their screens. It's a hell of a lot less disruptive to have a bunch of "." at the very left edge of my screen than having a spambot or flashbang post lingering for a while taking up the lower-left 1/4 of my screen. Banning them quickly doesn't make the text they've already sent any less disruptive, but 'dotting' them does.

And while I know /clear works as well, it takes a lot more keystrokes than a simple typing of '.' while many other people do the same (and if you're actually in the middle of playing the game, that matters a lot). Maybe if we could keybind chat commands in-game (instead of having to use an outside program like AHK) people would just use that instead, but we can't right now, so we've gotta work within our means.

Know what would really help though? If you guys could auto-filter out repetitive text cycles. There's no reasonable usage of the chat system that would necessitate repeating the same single character or words/lines of text over and over again in a single post (or even in multiple rapid posts within the same chatroom), and pre-emptively stopping those messages from being displayed would stop damn near all the spam that people hate and use 'dotting' against.
Last edited by Shppy on Sep 7, 2016, 4:36:17 PM
So just cause some people are too lazy to type '/clear' command (6 characters SUCH KEYSTROKE) in chat they rather use their upper body muscles to spam '.'? I feel like with the spamming of the dots you could use the /clear command... That's a weird mentality.

'stop damn near all the spam' Show me an online game that has conquered this. WoW/GW2/ESO all have spambots, I'm pretty sure they have set up scripts but spambots are like termites that just won't go away.
"Welcome to path of exile, where the rules are made up and the mods don't matter."

Free to play model = optional support = supporter titles = gamifying purchases = gotta catch em all = $$$$
"
Shppy wrote:

Do you not realize that the reason people do the dot thing is not so that the spambots get muted/banned or anything, it's so that they can get the wall text the hell off of their screens. It's a hell of a lot less disruptive to have a bunch of "." at the very left edge of my screen than having a spambot or flashbang post lingering for a while taking up the lower-left 1/4 of my screen. Banning them quickly doesn't make the text they've already sent any less disruptive, but 'dotting' them does.

How is this less disruptive? Instead of getting 1 wall of text, I now get 1 wall of text followed by 57 extra lines of dots, 9 lines of people going "wtf is this shit" and 12 lines of people arguing for/against it. The chat box is now constantly spammed by messages, it feels like trade chat where you can't really read anything because it goes by too fast. Even if I'm not looking at the chat, seeing all those lines go by from the corner of my eye is really distracting.

"
Nasynne wrote:
So just cause some people are too lazy to type '/clear' command (6 characters SUCH KEYSTROKE) in chat they rather use their upper body muscles to spam '.'? I feel like with the spamming of the dots you could use the /clear command... That's a weird mentality.

Take a look at the chat sometime when the dotting happens. It's not one person repeatedly doing it, it's dozens of people making a quick press of Enter then ".". Takes a couple fingers from one hand. Typing out /clear takes much more effort, and like i said, when you're actually playing the game (instead of standing around in a town or hideout), that makes a big difference in a game where oneshots are rampant.
Last edited by Shppy on Sep 7, 2016, 5:02:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info