Animate Guardian Detailed Thread

Animate Guardian seems like it gets a lot of talk, with very little cohesion; I want to collect as much information as possible and REALLY break down what this gem can and can't do.

Will be Editing as I have time to, kinda in a hurry to get this started.

It is vitally important to know each character can have only one AG all gear is linked to the character, NOT the Gem. You can NOT swap gems to build a different AG, you can NOT trade gems so someone can use the AG someone else built!
If you swap to a lower lvl gem you it WILL have all of its gear; it will NOT however, be able to summon that gear until the gem reaches the appropriate lvl to animate the gears ITEM LVL!

Gem stats easy to find on wiki.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Animate_Guardian

What information does AG have?
Spoiler

Char lvl-
Does Ag have a char lvl?
When an item checks does it get info or cause problems?

Stats-
What are the base stats?
Do they increase with Gem lvl?
When an item checks does it get info or cause problems?

Does it count as a Templar, since it started with char model? Does it still use it?
NO.

Resistances-
2.5 changed all minions and totems to

%40 all ele res

%20 Chaos res

Attack Speed-
1.00 per second base

Identifier-
You-No
Minion-Yes
Ally-Yes
Party-No

Hit, Crit, DMG Dealt, Kill, Dodge, Block, Life Gained, DMG Taken etc. are connected to AG for all Triggers and Modifications
Kill count is connected to player.

Support Gems-
Spoiler

Like Spectres this is straight forward, with complexities and choices coming as understanding of more interactions come.

AG can be linked to any "Minion" support gems, as well as any "Melee" or "Attack" gems that effect melee attacks.

Any Support Gem that adds an Identifier Tag, such as Added Fire Damage or Melee Splash adding AOE, can then be further supported with Tag appropriate Gems, per usual.

Any gems that support item generated effects will modify most said gear produced effects.
Such as Inc. AoE working for radius buffs, debuffs and damaging effects of items.

Personal Thoughts, Findings & Notes for inquiry
Spoiler

Any testing results and/or questions regarding gem interactions encouraged.

Multistrike- Often cited as a way to reduce time between attacks. This does nothing to effect the gesture animations; and actually reduces the effectiveness of many attack based effects by spacing the in game checks. Charge gain effects, notably Power Charge on Crit. (tested with multiple sources together and individually) only checks the initial attack "roll" and "copies" the attack repeatedly, thus creating a gap in charge gain opportunities making it nearly impossible to gain a second charge before the first expires let alone a third.

Charges-
Spoiler

Can have and create charges.
Minions are considered monsters, not Player Characters, and gain more benefit than players.

Max 3 base
Items that increase max charges work.
I believe non player characters are capped at 6.
Not all charge related item mods work with AG and need to be investigated to find which and why.

Gear-
Spoiler

Limited to item lvl by gem lvl.
Items MUST be identified.
New items overwrite current items.
Items animated are unrecoverable.
Spoiler
The exception is the Haku lvl 8 master craft mod for Body Armour; which YOU must wear & CAN NOT be put on unique!

Raise Quality, add Master Crafted mods, Ascendancy Labyrinth enchantments(testing to see what if any work) and Vaal Orb if you dare BEFORE casting Animate Guardian on them!

It is possible to copy item text with mouse over Crtl+c BEFORE ANIMATING. HIGHLY recommend using this to keep track of lvling gear.

Duel Wielding and Shield Tips & Issues-
Spoiler

1st weapon goes to right main hand, 2nd left offhand, 3rd will overwrite main, 4th offhand etc.

Until a shield gets tossed in...things get wonky and take a few trash items to set back on track.
This makes management a pain.

Animating a weapon will shift the old one to the Offhand erasing any shield.

Animating a shield will shift the weapon back to main as long as a third new weapon has not written over it.
Animating a weapon will slot it in the Offhand erasing the shield while keeping the old weapon in the main.
For a shield user this means you can mess up once and not lose your old weapon. You will lose the new one and the old shield and have to have at least 2 trash weapons with 3 recommended before a new set of weapon and shield can be reliably set.

When duel wielding animating a shield to overwrite your Offhand slot and 'cycling' main to Offhand by animating a weapon is theoretically possible, but you will have to keep track of AGs hand sequence order to make sure you don't lose the wrong weapon.
This needs more testing

Can Use-
Spoiler

Base, Magic, Rare & Unique
Can only use MELEE weapons
Any armour
Shield

Can NOT use-
Spoiler

Ranged weapons (Bows, Wands)
Quivers
Jewelry (Amulets, Rings, Belts)
Unidentified
Items with socketed Gems
MTX (Micro-transaction Appearance Changes or "skins")

Of note, Bringer of Rain helmet Changed from "Can't equip body armour." to "Can't use...".
General consensus is that it always bypassed the restriction as AG does not "equip" and receives all relevant effects.

Item mods and effects-
Spoiler

Works-
(Non-standard mods so the list isn't a mile long)
Most Unique and Corrupted mods
Spoiler

"curses target with X on hit" From Unique or Corrupted items. (This effect is an application by the item not a "cast" or "Skill Use")
"Create 'X' (on condition other than "Cast" or "Skill" use)
Such as Burning Ground and Cosmetic mods such as Footprints or Flames that are produced by the gear itself without MTX.

DON'T Work-
(Any "Casts", "Grants 'skill'", "Attack with 'skill'", are auto nopes; AG can not have gems socketed so "+/-* to level of" & "supported by" are wasted)
Spoiler

Rampage-
Rampage is Player only.

Ascendancy Labyrinth Enchantments-
Spoiler

Gloves "Cast" or "Grant Skill"- unusable by AG.
"Attack With"__"on hit" do not work, assuming these too are linked to a skill.

Boots on the other hand are passive with "Recently" 4 second time gate; Group ConditionalBuffEnchantment , and seem to effect the boots themselves or place a generic "buff" as any normal item effect; this should allow them to work with AG.
Testing...

Helms are Grouped as SkillEnchantment; some specifically have "to_owner".
While they may technically function, AG is restricted from using any Skill and the Gems cannot be socketed.
Some may work with item generated effects such as Curses and Buffs...

Animations-
Spoiler

Stand Up-
Appears laying face down when cast and has to stand up.

Has special kill animations based on weapon and enemy, just as players and other monsters do.

Taunts-
Sometimes before engaging and between attacks AG will stop and attempt an animation.
Does the taunt animation aggro mobs?
No, if anything it breaks aggro...

Seems to be a built in stopgap for chaining.
(Not sure if intentional but it was added to game with the Scion and Rampage league. Has been the clutch ending to many Rampage streaks)

It would appear attack speed and/or move speed effect the animation speed as well. Still testing.
Flesh Offering seems to speed up all animations of all minions...

Confirmed Taunts-
Spoiler

Thumbs Down-
Every 3-7 swings
2h Axe, 2h Mace

Sign of the Cross-
Moves hand in front of face in the pattern of a cross(+)
Every 3-4 swings
Any combination of 1h weapons and/or Shield except Thrusting Sword or Claw in Offhand or with Shield

Pause with no animation-
This is caused by AG attempting the taunt of other weapon combinations and being denied.
Staff, 2h Sword
Claw or Trusting Sword in Offhand or with Shield

Last edited by Cloaked_Wanderer on Feb 23, 2017, 7:23:18 PM
Last bumped on Apr 12, 2018, 8:35:20 AM
Can it trigger glove enchants (when hit and on hit respectively) is what I am interested in and does the regen enchant on boots apply to it as well?

I am currently leveling multiple gems for corruption, I want to be completely aware of its intricacies as I begin to use the gem.
~ I am Wreaclast middle class and proud of it!
~ Poor investment =/= entitlement to compensation.
~ Build smart, build S-mart!
Last edited by Ageless_Emperion on Sep 1, 2016, 2:08:58 PM
Good question, I'm compiling data at the moment. Usually when the item does something on "X" rather than making the wearer cast or use a skill it works; not sure if the lab enchants work or not, the few posts ive seen are complaining about "cast when x" not working. It depends on wether they are player specific, seems like a missed opportunity to make AG do some things players have begged for from day one.
I plan on crafting some new gloves and doing lab runs tonight to test my AG.
"
Good question, I'm compiling data at the moment. Usually when the item does something on "X" rather than making the wearer cast or use a skill it works; not sure if the lab enchants work or not, the few posts ive seen are complaining about "cast when x" not working. It depends on wether they are player specific, seems like a missed opportunity to make AG do some things players have begged for from day one.
I plan on crafting some new gloves and doing lab runs tonight to test my AG.

Thank you, I will keep an eye on this thread then.
~ I am Wreaclast middle class and proud of it!
~ Poor investment =/= entitlement to compensation.
~ Build smart, build S-mart!
"
Can it trigger glove enchants (when hit and on hit respectively) is what I am interested in and does the regen enchant on boots apply to it as well?

I am currently leveling multiple gems for corruption, I want to be completely aware of its intricacies as I begin to use the gem.

Just ran AG with Attack with Spite when hit and never saw a proc
"
"

Boots should work!
Please post confirmation.

Dug around the wiki and did some testing with the Ascendancy Enchantments.

Gloves are a no go, Helms are a no as well.
Prophecy League was generic witch summoner for AG testing and relearning the game after a long break

Essence League I wanted to try a speed crit AG build (It's scary good lvl 62-68 T7 maps with crap gear)

Inc. Minion Speed, Inc. Crit. Chance, INC. Melee Phys. Dmg. linked to AG.

Started with Faster Attacks, Inc. Minion Speed, Inc. Minion Dmg., Inc. Crit. Chance.
adding Fortify when I got 5L before swapping to The Queens Decree (which I will upgrade 6L and color fix to run all. XD)
Should I stick with Melee Phys for the more multi or go with Fortify for the, well, Fortify dmg reduction, even tho its an inc. not a more?

(Multistrike sucks, especially for a crit build)

Purity of Elements, Discipline, and Blasphemy - Assassins Mark, with Flesh Offering, Lightning Golem and Frenzy Apes (never got 6th Socket on body, will be swapping Purity of Elements for Haste)
Necro Ascendancy- Beacon of Corruption and Commander of Darkness

Beacon of Corruption activates on minion death, duration expiration AND over cast; allowing you to spam a summon spell past your max limit to create a large overlapping chaos DoT AoE!

Moving, Testing and a new friend inviting me to maps early got the better of me and I wound up rushing to beat Merc in the last few hours before league end at lvl 71 with the gear I had crafted for cruel lol
Barbarian Bear has some basic video guideshttps://www.youtube.com/user/barbarianbear

I hope to work with him and showcase some builds I've been theory-crafting and help him with his AG projects in the future.

We can grow the community and get more experimentation with better info than just "Hey I made a vid of me killing a boss with an AG that had a weapon! Good luck finding out how!"
If they don't fix his AI he can oneshot Shaper and people still wouldn't use it for offense.

#hyperbolleoff
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Dec 1, 2016, 6:01:04 AM
Patch Notes for 2.5.0
"Totems and all other minions now have 40% elemental resistance and 20% chaos resistance. This also includes minions that didn't have resistances previously, like wolves."

This would be a change from the %25 ele / %0 chaos across all difficulties AG had before.

"The Minion and Totem Elemental Resistance support gem now has a multiplicative minion and totem elemental damage stat on it, scaling from 10% at level 1 to 19% more elemental damage at gem level 20."

-.-
o.O
O.o
O.O

WOW... That's just nuts.

My idea for an ignite prolif burning ground AG just got Buffed... alot...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info