so what year is melee getting a buff to be on par with range/casters

melee needs inc aoe built into their skills to get somewhat on par with casters/range clear speeds

what do u guys think
Last bumped on Aug 30, 2016, 3:00:28 AM
Allegedly there are buffs coming with the Atlas and we'll find out about it in the patch notes tomorrow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/5072v6/will_melee_be_addressed_in_atlas/

Of course I'm not sure how they could possibly rework melee to actually be on par with proper AoE skills.
Last edited by DichotomousThree on Aug 30, 2016, 12:41:52 AM
well, its an option. Id sooner see the existing aoe skills have more of a pull outside of reave and eq via damage.

Thing is with adding aoe, sure it might fix a lot of issues, but half the people complaining about melee discount things with aoe as being broken and not melee. So they release skills like eq, we have reave, frostblades clears tons of mobs fast via projectiles, lightning strike can do the same. Apparently none of these count as melee so the fact they are as good as spells and bows is sort of irrelevant to those people.

I think caster defenses leave a lot to be desired in all honesty, I still feel like Id be better of using a lightning coil than sticking with blue socket gear for any life based caster. But they didnt touch caster defenses in the past year or so, they actually buffed spell damage on the gems and added flat to spells etc... k. Seemed like they prefered glass cannon but with more attractive cannon. They also buffed bow skills damage by around 10%? Yep, then u use a coil or some other str/dex mechanic to avoid the glass bit and just faceroll everything.

So unfortunately I think they should reverse that stuff and obviously they cant because it would feel shit to see tooltips falling on existing builds, existing expectations etc. So its got to come from monster life, I really think they should buff mob life in stages over a period of a year till they have at least double what they have right now, possibly much more than that. Its horrible to do it in 1 hit, I feel like youve got to gradually turn up the heat so we dont notice it so much. I think its good for the game, but if you just boosted mob life in mid to high maps by 300% over night even I would be wincing at it.

Then leave Reave, EQ, fb, ls etc alone. Buff every other melee skill to largely ignore the massive mob life boost, the less aoe they have the more they get buffed. Give melee splash a big less damage mod, then every melee skill that needs splash to have aoe should be given an epic damage boost. Thats how I would do it personally.
i swing a sword, i hit a monster. Special-sword-swing-jutsu, i swing a sword and hit 2 mobs; wahoo. Seriously, what do sword swingers want? if they want to hit 10+ monsters, you'd think they'd getta clue and pickup spell casting, totems, traps, bows etc. now what GGG could do is make single target attacks proc different effects when hitting a single target. Maybe do something like a built in baby flickereffect on killing a mob-automatically uses skill to attack (percentage chance) an additional mob with same single target skill-limit one baby flicker effect per "manual" use of skill. Baby flicker indicating the mob being being a "short" distance away(short distance i leave up to GGG).
"
dreadnaught99 wrote:
melee needs inc aoe built into their skills to get somewhat on par with casters/range clear speeds

what do u guys think

There is EQ, but people say this isn't "true" melee so this suggestion wont work...

I guess every skill should have inbuilt 99% dmg reduction and its damage increased by 999% or it won't be true melee. But then people will complain "well i can't die but i cant clear fast"then GGG will make these skills have big aoe,followed by "lol noobs,this isn't melee,melee needs buffs".

Honestly,melee is fine,indeed more AOE for some skills/supports will help and people should think bit more when they ask for buffs. My suggestion would be some kind of survivability buff i guess,since with melee weapon you need to be next to the boss. This can be achieved by putting more health/dmg resistance on the melee nodes (sword/axe/mace passives),but not much since melees invest more points in these.
Last edited by Kasapnica on Aug 30, 2016, 2:39:14 AM
Should just nerf all ranged skills instead.

Give every monster proximity shield, reduce aoe of all aoe skills by 50%. Double aoe of melee splash.

Should do the trick.
I'd love to see Viper strike get a rework, and have it spread a plague on hit so it doesn't need melee splash.
Mark_GGG 2012
If you put on your full plate mail, and I throw hundreds of toothpicks at you, you'll basically not feel it.

If someone catapults a whole tree at you, don't expect the Armour to prevent as much of the damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info