Help for melee hardcore character

Hi, I'm waiting for atlas of worlds to start a new HC melee char. My idea is to make a juggernaut focused on maxing resistances and phys resistance, but using a 2h weapon, while having enfeeble curse (and maybe temp chains too) as auras.

Basically I want to try a "full" tank, exept I feel block requires too many tree points , taking from the already-little damage i suppose i'll have, and I feel somewhat "safer" if I get to resist the incoming damage without relying on a block chance.

The thing is, there are lots of new melee skills since I left playing, and some i already knew i never really got to try. Was wondering which skills you'd suggest me?

Think i'll use heavy strike for single...

For AoE...no idea o_o;

Ice Crash? Static Strike? Earthquake? Sunder?.

Any tips are appreciated, thanks!
Last bumped on Aug 28, 2016, 8:10:02 PM
Earthquake is the best at the moment, but there's the potential for it to be nerfed to crap, so you'll just have to wait for the patch notes.
"
Drkzaleos wrote:
Hi, I'm waiting for atlas of worlds to start a new HC melee char. My idea is to make a juggernaut focused on maxing resistances and phys resistance, but using a 2h weapon, while having enfeeble curse (and maybe temp chains too) as auras.

Basically I want to try a "full" tank, exept I feel block requires too many tree points , taking from the already-little damage i suppose i'll have, and I feel somewhat "safer" if I get to resist the incoming damage without relying on a block chance.

If your primary goal is tankiness then using a shield can be very beneficial. Shield passives are not a requirement. With Juggernaut permanent IC certain unique shields can increase your tankiness extremely. Examples:

Vs spell damage with Stibnite: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Kongming%27s_Stratagem
If you already have high max resists: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Saffell%27s_Frame

"
Drkzaleos wrote:

Think i'll use heavy strike for single...

For AoE...no idea o_o;

Ice Crash? Static Strike? Earthquake? Sunder?.

Any tips are appreciated, thanks!

Current game balance for melee skills falls in the "cannot be found" category. Some of the new skills (Earthquake) are strictly better than the old skills. People usually do not use separate single target skills anymore. Most "melee" (cough, cough) just use Earthquake.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Don't play melee.

Prophecy will be rolled into the core game, which means you'll still be able to get Voidhearts. That + EQ = ezmode. Or just buy a Disfavour if you can afford it.
I'm kind of new to the game (started in the middle of prophecy) but used to d2 hardcore, even if that was many many years ago. I used last league softcore to learn parts of the game.

I think it's sad that the answers to "help for melee hardcore character" is "do not be melee because it is not the best". Some of us do not have the need to be the best or cut through late game like a hot knife through butter.

I'm trying on a infernal blow build for hc in Atlas, found it in the forums here. It seemed like a legit build (tried it out to pre mapping), I did not want to run earthquake because I felt it was too little melee. I also hate all kinds of enemies that resurrect deads aswell as exploding corpses.

I'm not sure what I will use for single target yet though.
"
I'm kind of new to the game (started in the middle of prophecy) but used to d2 hardcore, even if that was many many years ago. I used last league softcore to learn parts of the game.

I think it's sad that the answers to "help for melee hardcore character" is "do not be melee because it is not the best". Some of us do not have the need to be the best or cut through late game like a hot knife through butter.

I'm trying on a infernal blow build for hc in Atlas, found it in the forums here. It seemed like a legit build (tried it out to pre mapping), I did not want to run earthquake because I felt it was too little melee. I also hate all kinds of enemies that resurrect deads aswell as exploding corpses.

I would very much prefer to play melee in PoE, but the melee-ranged gap is so disgustingly huge that I pretty much gave up on it. Playing ranged doesn't just make you a little more powerful, it basically trivializes half of all content.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"

I would very much prefer to play melee in PoE, but the melee-ranged gap is so disgustingly huge that I pretty much gave up on it. Playing ranged doesn't just make you a little more powerful, it basically trivializes half of all content.

Talk about encouragement for new players
Hail build Diversity,
Death to the speed clear meta.
"
Quo210 wrote:
Talk about encouragement for new players

Gotta call duck a duck. It would be far more cruel to get the man's hopes up for nothing.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Well , I've played many ranged chars already, but what i wanted to build now was something based on survavility, for HC.

To paint the whole idea : having high hp, max resistances, lots of physical damage reduction, AND having a blasphemy-enfeeble (possibly +temp chains with +1 curse ring).

Something Uber resistant.

Of course, looks nice on my head , but i don't know if i'll be able to build it, or survive long enough (at least 90 for achievement would be my main goal). But I'd like to try.
Last edited by Drkzaleos on Aug 28, 2016, 5:20:56 PM
"
Drkzaleos wrote:
Well , I've played many ranged chars already, but what i wanted to build now was something based on survavility, for HC.

To paint the whole idea : having high hp, max resistances, lots of physical damage reduction, AND having a blasphemy-enfeeble (possibly +temp chains with +1 curse ring).

Something Uber resistant.

Of course, looks nice on my head , but i don't know if i'll be able to build it, or survive long enough (at least 90 for achievement would be my main goal). But I'd like to try.

Well, the good news is that recently even GGG seems to have conceded that melee is FUBAR, and they've been adding skills that let you do "melee" damage at range. EQ, Sunder, Ancestral totems, Lacerate. These can easily clear from half a screen away, which is by far your best defense. As far as I can tell, EQ + Voidheart Juggernauts were all the range during Prophecy, so you're def barking up the right tree. Just don't try to use Heavy Strike of all things.

Having said all that, for Uber specifically, you may want to try a 78/78 block Gladiator instead.
Last edited by suszterpatt on Aug 28, 2016, 8:33:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info