RoA Trapper

Working on a non-crit RoA trapper, but at this time, just doing some recon and such.

I know for bosses, its all about using barrage trap because of the ability to do a double-dipped 7-8l effect with point blank and it melts things.

For trash packs though, im considering the following (And correct me if my math is wrong). I want to be sure this is enough to deal with trash mobs in stuff like T15 maps.

Base damage (avg) 150 (2x ring, ammy, gloves, belt, quiver, 4x coated shrapnel + doomfletch's)
Rain of Arrows 129% base
Trap 39% more
T/M Damgae 39% more, 10% increased
PPAD 49% more, 10% increased
Cluster Traps 36% less, 10% increased
Slower Proj 29% more, 10% increased
Net Increased 550% (roughly all the passives + gear + bonus from elemental damage x.25)
----
1993% increased damage, total or 2989.5 physical per trap. Then we include all the add-extras of elemental damage (and chaos from that one node)
110% added as fire (prism)
110% added as cold (prsim)
110% added as elect (prism)
10% added as fire (explosives expert)
5% added as chaos (force shaper)
15% added as fire (herald of ash)
40% added as cold (hatred)
---
This totals 400% more damage from a number of elements, yielding 14947.5 damage per trap, total.
Of course, with chain reaction and high area of effect (20% from Carcass, 10% from chain reaction, 29% from rain of arrows) most targets are hit by all 4 traps, yielding 59,790 damage total.

I definitely rate this as passable, but not amazing.

Because I want to be ornery and use the same bow for my boss beating as well (mostly to say I can rather than because it works great) my single target is a barrage-pierce set up.

Base damage (avg) 150 (2x ring, ammy, gloves, belt, quiver, 4x coated shrapnel + doomfletch's)
Barrage 61.4% base, 10% increased
Trap 39% more
T/M Damgae 39% more, 10% increased
PPAD 49% more, 10% increased
Pierce 29% more, 10% increased
Slower Proj 29% more, 10% increased
Point Blank 50% more
Net Increased 610% (roughly all the passives + gear + bonus from elemental damage x.25)
----
3132% increased damage, total or 4698 physical per trap. Then we include all the add-extras of elemental damage (and chaos from that one node)
110% added as fire (prism)
110% added as cold (prsim)
110% added as elect (prism)
10% added as fire (explosives expert)
5% added as chaos (force shaper)
15% added as fire (herald of ash)
40% added as cold (hatred)
---
This totals 400% more damage from a number of elements, yielding 23,490 damage per arrow, or 93,960 total. Normally I can lay 4-5 traps down on a boss with a slow start up for when the fight starts, meaning I could open with as much as 375k damage, plus some 16 stacks of poison. (Of course, I realize getting a reach of the council here will break the game, potentially tripling the damage this could do.)

Skill tree concept below:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYDAPafNxew2KLZyBT1b2qMFr8mlXX9YeKEb1VL1EK1SOtjES8DHjY9KwofQZ2qXfJsjA5IYqy3MBGWtMXoWgcewuzb5yaIlS4FtWwIcFHw1QZwjb8ajfGKdm-zA4_6SVFOn1FHWyZ-sDIY7BhcQHp_MHw31H_72FRTMWSqVL2NfX8r7T-bhhXtI_ZW-mo2lotNknfXkA3VuRR1MbOkwluvV9gNjU4qG-CHdkz_459noEMxSn3awY1-LlN07c2Y028FLepieu91y76nZU29Nkd-hNliT8kGZ05vd6B5Qiw=

Thoughts, tips, tricks, etc? Anything would be appreciated since I have not really done this before. (last time I attempted it was back in like 1.3 and with a vastly different concept, such as not using a main trap for trash).

Edit: A lot of changes given feedback and gameplay experimentation!
Edit2: Considering the addition of Abyssus which adds 50 average damage, which ups damage by around 33% (since it takes my average base from 150ish to 200ish) or would overall boost my damage from 59,790 to 79,720. (It would also up the potential damage of my single target from 93,960 to 124,967.)
And if you close your eyes, does it feel like your exalt almost hit this time~
Last edited by Eternallight on Aug 26, 2016, 7:15:11 PM
Last bumped on Aug 26, 2016, 10:38:48 PM
If you are using Coated Shrapnel, consider using Conc effect since the poison will double-dip on the bonus. Or maybe swap out inc AoE of conc effect on bosses.
With cluster traps you might find you don't need Inc AoE anyway.

Chin Sol's bonus won't always apply, since the radius it effects is lower than the Radius of Rain of Arrows. Still, it should apply most of the time, especially against bosses. Another reason to consider swapping in Conc effect though.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Aug 25, 2016, 6:05:46 PM
For bosses Ill puncture-trap them, because puncture trap.

If it turns out I do not need inc AoE for my crowd killer, I think ill change to something like slower projectiles, faster projectiles, or conc effect, just to see what gives the best rate of return on killing things.

Im surprised the Chin Sol bonus radius is so small though, but I figure with the overlapping traps, it should still get a number of creatures in the effect.

Edit: still not sure how much damage vs how much increased DoT I should grab. 775% increased damage strikes me as overkill.
Last edited by Eternallight on Aug 25, 2016, 7:25:32 PM
According to the wiki, the Chin Sol radius is 20 units (the same radius as cleave). Afaik it doesn't increase with AoE radius bonuses.
RoA has a default radius of 24. (18 with conc effect.)
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Aug 25, 2016, 7:33:38 PM
I've got a similar build in prophecy currently, but not using Chin Sol. Instead I've got Doomfletch's Prism for traps, and a RotC in the alt weapon with barrage mines (and using 4x coated shrapnel... flat damage is good for Prism, poison's good for the mines). And I'm using both Blast Rain and RoA traps (cuz sticking with just one type of trap is painful... even with the 70% increased cooldown recovery in the tree/sab, you'll still find yourself running out if you're putting everything into a single type of custom trap).

If you wanna collect any pointers from it, https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1707580

Also, as far as using puncture traps and poison, you might wanna wait to see what 2.4 balance changes bring... GGG might finally get around to balancing out poison and bleed (and ignite) scaling, which would certainly alter your build's power (and mine) dramatically.
Last edited by Shppy on Aug 25, 2016, 7:55:42 PM
Shppy, this is some great data and an interesting thought using Prism.

The downside, of course, is as you said with elemental damage and resists, as well as physical/chaos damage is the only thing that scales poison, so your high ele damage doesnt net any bonus to poison.

With Chin Sol + Point blank, things in the point blank area do take 3x damage, but of course, with Prism, you deal 330% bonus elemental damage, so 4.3x damage, or 6.45x with point blank.

I might just try both bows and see how life treats me.

I think the benefit on the chin sol is obviously the much higher base physical, the higher overall physical w/ point blank and its natural bonus, which also equates to better poison.

But I do not know if that would beat the pure elemental insanity that is Prism.
well, traps in general get around typical levels of ele resist pretty easy, but yeah, the elemental from prism won't help poison. But that's fine, it's not really necessary (seriously, that build's damage per trap is sick, though the tooltip doesn't account for most of it), but the poison still does amazing (by which i mean imbalanced and hopefully-nerfed, tbh) things with the barrage mines from Reach, which are pure phys.
Last edited by Shppy on Aug 25, 2016, 9:11:33 PM
You seem to be correct on all counts here, Shppy.

After looking at the range needed for point blank, it only makes sense to use chin sol with barrage trap, but not so much for what I am planning with rain of arrows.

I was hoping to dedicate the build to a single bow, but no such luck it seems.

I do suppose RoA is still the main skill, so id still call it a RoA build, but prism does seem to be the better bow for crowd killing. I however may still take the PB keynode because at worst it -50% damage to RoA at extreme ranges (135) But is still bonus damage out to a moderate range (35). With traps exploding everywhere, I figure it will probably even out.

Edit: So what are your thoughts on Abyssus? Too risky?
Last edited by Eternallight on Aug 26, 2016, 3:06:38 PM
Bump because of a lot of edits xD Feedback is wanted and needed and thank you <3
"
Eternallight wrote:
You seem to be correct on all counts here, Shppy.

After looking at the range needed for point blank, it only makes sense to use chin sol with barrage trap, but not so much for what I am planning with rain of arrows.

I was hoping to dedicate the build to a single bow, but no such luck it seems.

I do suppose RoA is still the main skill, so id still call it a RoA build, but prism does seem to be the better bow for crowd killing. I however may still take the PB keynode because at worst it -50% damage to RoA at extreme ranges (135) But is still bonus damage out to a moderate range (35). With traps exploding everywhere, I figure it will probably even out.

Edit: So what are your thoughts on Abyssus? Too risky?

actually, no, you don't want chin sol with barrage traps/mines; the knockback will cause them to miss more often. Meanwhile RotC is actually outstanding for them, because the +4 arrows effectively doubles barrage's output.

As for RoA traps, you'll never come close to -50% damage, even with massive aoe. They're pretty much always within the +damage range, and by a pretty wide margin.

And I wouldn't bother with Abyssus, i didn't need it to get my damage, and i wouldn't really wanna risk it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info