Is Atlas only for the top 5% of players?

"
Bars wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I would bet that most players never map. The community here isn't made up of typical players. We're "fans". Even those that hate on the game enough to come here are "fans" of a sort. You get a really biased view of what players are like by looking at forums... either here or reddit.

Most just load up the game and play a character. When they get through normal, they stop. Might try it again in a couple months.

That's probably more typical play than we care to admit.

These aren't players, they are just passing through.

Say it ain't so?! People who play video games are not players?
Probably true that most players never reach maps, though this is impossible for me to prove. I guess only GGG knows and they ain't saying!
So, yeah, it is EP for long time players, they promised it a long time ago.
Censored.
Sure, most "players" never reach maps, statistically speaking. Because people try out the game and quit when they dont like it. In that statistic, every player that ever fired up the game is a notch in the belt so to speak. And if it doesnt catch the players interest they get thrown on the "98,4%" stack of players that try out this game short-time.

But i really dont understand why we need to justify the endgame getting its first overhaul since OB, (that anyone reaches that plays the game for more than two weeks)

Or that not catering to a demographic that most certainly doesnt spend a cent on the game is a bad thing.
Last edited by Cataca on Aug 25, 2016, 6:42:44 PM
I believe all of the recent power creep since 2.0 is specifically directed to allow more players to access at least mid-tier mapping. I think everyone on this forum would be surprised at the actual percentage of people that try 1 map much less crawl into mid-tier/red-tier.

Sometimes giving average players more power gives them the confidence they need to push into higher tier maps. Is it boring for many players that are (unknowingly) already in the top 5%? Probably. But that is the price we pay when the game needs new players to be able to continue to provide content.

I honestly don't believe, however, that the new content is only for the top 5%, but the time commitment required to complete the atlas will drive it to that number automatically.

A lot of players don't have free time like they did over the summer. Lot's of kids going back to college/school, adults (with their regular time constraints), etc...

If only 5% see the high-level content, I believe it will be because of time constraint and not difficulty.

Something tells me quite a bit of min-maxing will be necessary between T14-T16. Most players are not willing to go through that exercise. Or if they are, it will take them quite a bit longer to get there.

As a side note, I'm happy the end gamers got something to look forward to. After all of the power creeping as of late, it will be nice to see players feel challenged again.

(just an opinion)
Last edited by Prizy on Aug 25, 2016, 3:21:46 PM
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 10:24:36 PM
Side note that is somewhat related. People on the forums greatly overestimate the players. If you're on the forums, other than a random post of "how do I launch the game", you're already in the top % of players.

Dark Souls 3 came out a little while ago. A month after release, they showed some stats that something like 35% of people who launched the game, didn't have a single achievement. The first achievement you get is from the first boss and it is literally 6 minutes into the game. And we're talking about a game which people paid full price for.

Personally I think stats should exclude players with little to no time played so we could get a clearer picture. But I doubt it's going to happen.
I think it will be better for people like me/us who are used to map system who can manage their pool (or know that the value of it at least) but in the other hand: just an interface to conceptualise their advancement is a great thing for casuals.

Overall I think AoW will be a HUGE win for that non vocal majority of casuals who get to merc then random play low tier map at 2-3K hp and/or inexistant clearspeed and leave leagues as they came into those.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 10:24:59 PM
I'm fairly sure more people watch games being played now then actually play games on any given day.

So yeah the level 10 players that stopped after brutus do mater.
Last edited by brunowa on Aug 25, 2016, 6:13:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info