Will Shaper's Orbs increase the drop level of the shaped maps too?

For example, will a shaped map that's originally t10 still drop in places t10s can drop from, or does it get kicked up to dropping where t15s drop?

I'm guessing the latter, but the former would be much nicer for sustaining high-tier maps (at least once you've been there before to earn shaper's orbs).
Last edited by Shppy on Aug 24, 2016, 4:11:41 PM
Last bumped on Aug 25, 2016, 9:17:29 PM
From the dev manifesto thingie, shaping a map (t10 becomes t15) makes it so ONLY the t15 version now drops for you and not the t10 version. They also specified that all standard rules apply to maps, ie. you can only find maps of your tier +2. Therefore, a t10 shaped into a 15 will now only drop in t13 and up.

That's how I understood the post and I'm disappointed personally. I thought you could get both version of the map and choose which one to run, which would increase availability of t12+ maps. Especially since we can only shape 1 map per tier, it would have helped a lot without making it too easy to sustain red maps.
The 100% passive map drop bonus from completing the atlas already performs the job of making it easier to sustain red maps. We don't need more bonuses.
"
The 100% passive map drop bonus from completing the atlas already performs the job of making it easier to sustain red maps. We don't need more bonuses.

I could see that helping for sure, but if shaped maps also have the drop level of their 'new' tier, it kinda seems like it'd kinda defeat some of the purpose of shaping them in the first place.

I mean, otherwise what are the real benefits of shaping a map? +5 ilvl to the map-specific base item? Seems like... not really a big deal. Getting better xp out of farming a 'good' type of map? Meh, I'm sure there's gonna be reasonably good xp farming maps that are naturally around that tier, plus you'll have a harder time finding that now-shaped map to farm in the first place if its drop level gets elevated.

But if you were able to get a shaped map that's originally t10 (so t15 post-shaping) to potentially drop in as low as t8? That's a real reason to use them.
Last edited by Shppy on Aug 24, 2016, 11:33:40 PM
"
Shppy wrote:
I mean, otherwise what are the real benefits of shaping a map? +5 ilvl to the map-specific base item? Seems like... not really a big deal. Getting better xp out of farming a 'good' type of map? Meh, I'm sure there's gonna be reasonably good xp farming maps that are naturally around that tier, plus you'll have a harder time finding that now-shaped map to farm in the first place if its drop level gets elevated.

Have you ever actually played this game? Shaping a t10 map with a great layout to be a t15 map with a great layout is like the most important possible thing for grinding in this game.

Even if there are one or two default t15 options for great layouts (which, uh, there aren't, unless the layouts have all changed really drastically), having more t15 maps with great layouts makes it so that the percentage of t15 maps that drop with great layouts as opposed to shitty layouts is higher.
Last edited by codetaku on Aug 25, 2016, 11:22:36 AM
"
Even if there are one or two default t15 options for great layouts (which, uh, there aren't, unless the layouts have all changed really drastically), having more t15 maps with great layouts makes it so that the percentage of t15 maps that drop with great layouts as opposed to shitty layouts is higher.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1714341

it kinda sounds like they have. Or at the very least, the ones with sh*tty layouts will be more rewarding (i.e. more enemies and potential drops per map)
Last edited by Shppy on Aug 25, 2016, 1:59:45 PM
Have to say this is highly disappointing for me. I can't see me needing to use a shaper orb all that much now.

The way I assumed it would work when I first read about them was I could take a level 70 map which I have loads of and run them at level 75. But if what I'm now reading about shaper orbs is right the reality is I use the shaper orb on the atlas and my existing maps stay at level 70 and only new drops of that map will be 75.

Considering level 75 maps are my limit without randomly dying a horrible death this expansion is suddenly starting to look like pants and provides me with nothing new or ways to progress my char then what I already have.

Yeah sure ok this means I can have a good level 70 map now drop/run at level 75 but in no way does it help me get more level 75 maps to run. I still need them to drop in the first place.
All this does is instead of say me having a 1/8 chance of a good level 75 map dropping I now have a 2/8 chance and what do you want to bet I'll still get more of the other 6 drop more frequently than the 2 I would actually like?

Would have been much better if the orb got placed on each individual map bumping them up 5 levels higher.
I have done so much with so little for so long I'm now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info