Detailed Atlas Mechanics

Wow, completing legacy maps in standard is going to be ridiculously advantageous, nice. I'm glad I've started saving 1 copy of each map for the last couple of weeks. And new layouts + new bosses, huh? I wonder if core malachai is getting nerfed, because quite frankly the revealed t16 bosses look easier than him, hahah.

"
Yeah Im not sure about this reveal. I really don't like atlas being account wide, it can gimp people who play multiple characters in a league.

Gimp? This is an advantage for them. It means they got bonus map drops that their predecessor characters unlocked for them.
Last edited by codetaku on Aug 24, 2016, 9:10:40 AM
"
When a map drops, its tier is entirely unchanged by the choice of which maps you have unlocked so far. Unlocking more maps doesn't change how many of a specific tier you receive (but increases the number of different maps that you see at that tier).

So as far as I understand this sentence, it is very simple. If a map is dropped, the game will check the tier of the map and check, if you have unlocked maps of this tier.

If yes, the drop will become visible and it will become one of the maps possible to obtain, unlock. This means you can narrow down the map of this tier you will obtain to one by only completing for example gorge.

If not, the map will stay invisible and you recieve nothing. I guess this will also overwrite the rule of one guaranteed map drop from the boss. This means it is not useful to not unlock lower tiers, as you can only choose between a map drop or no drop at all. Choosing the example of gorge.

If I play gorges and I do 10 maps with only gorge and the four T1s unlocked, I will probably recieve one gorge and an additional 3 or four T1s, maybe also the next higher tier. If I have additional map tiers unlocked, I will gain additional map drops to vendor or play myself. I can then choose if I want to limit this tier as well by unlocking as few maps as possible.

While it is true that it can be beneficial to only unlock certain maps, I feel that this is still going to backfire by missed drops.

I would prefer if the they had chosen a system, where you can only unlock maps with at least one unlocked map nearby. This means you will require at least one chain of T1-T? of your desired map.
50% increased chance of getting a map from your pool

VS

100% increased chance of getting any map

hmmm
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
100% Ethical, most of the time.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I do think it is a shame the Atlas is by account and not by character. Shaping maps will place them out of reach of characters earlier in their map-quests, at least initially.
"
morbo wrote:

Another "abuse" by limiting your map drop selection, is that you get more maps of the same type to drop and can tier them up more frequently.

Shit, didn't even think of that. Nice catch :)

... Also I'm really curious if anyone at GGG is reading along and, if so, if they are dismissing these concerns because it works as intended, or if all of this was an oversight and they're now scrambling to find a fix for it. Anyone at the GGG offices care to let us know one way or another? :)
"
Rohirion wrote:
If not, the map will stay invisible and you recieve nothing. I guess this will also overwrite the rule of one guaranteed map drop from the boss.

There is no such rule. Have you ever actually played this game?

"
acme_myst wrote:
"
morbo wrote:

Another "abuse" by limiting your map drop selection, is that you get more maps of the same type to drop and can tier them up more frequently.

Shit, didn't even think of that. Nice catch :)

... Also I'm really curious if anyone at GGG is reading along and, if so, if they are dismissing these concerns because it works as intended, or if all of this was an oversight and they're now scrambling to find a fix for it. Anyone at the GGG offices care to let us know one way or another? :)

Obviously it's working as intended. Did you read the entire reveal? Every map completion gets you a +1% global map drop bonus that stacks multiplicatively with IIQ intrinsic to each map.

In other words, if you try to "abuse" this system, you'll get fewer map drops overall, which to GGG means it'll balance out because the devs refuse to believe that most map layouts are bad layouts.
Last edited by codetaku on Aug 24, 2016, 9:13:54 AM
I love the proposed changes! The cumulative effects will add a real purpose to the mapping grind beyond simple earned XP. Looking forward to the new season on September 2nd!
"
Chris wrote:

Standard Players and Legacy Maps
Many players in the permanent standard and hardcore leagues have legacy maps that use either the pre-2.0.0 or post-2.0.0 art. These old maps will still function at their old tiers. For example, if you take a Gorge map from Ascendancy and run it in Atlas of Worlds, it'll still be tier 9.

The maps do inherit the new layouts and new boss fights that are introduced in Atlas of Worlds. They drop new maps rather than legacy ones.

If you complete a legacy map, then it'll unlock an equivalent map of the same tier as well as all the maps leading up to that map. This allows you to catch up with your Atlas progress quickly.

That means if I complete only 1 Abyss, 1 Colosseum and 1 Core map I have unlocked 75% of the tree? Seems legit! ;o)
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
Wow, completing legacy maps in standard is going to be ridiculously advantageous, nice.

If by "advantageous" you actually mean "incredibly harmful for your account", then yes.

What's really going on is that the current mappool of standard players who want to play optimally has just lost its entire value/utility.

Edit: Woops, I think that HikaruYami was actually being sarcastic, but didn't quite catch that until his second post on the previous page. Sorry about that :)
Last edited by acme_myst on Aug 24, 2016, 9:22:00 AM
"
acme_myst wrote:
"
Wow, completing legacy maps in standard is going to be ridiculously advantageous, nice.

If by "advantageous" you actually mean "incredibly harmful for your account", then yes.

What's really going on is that the current mappool of standard players who want to play optimally has just lost its entire value/utility.

And there is currently no way to unfuck that mistake.
100% Ethical, most of the time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info