"We don't want the rich to get richer" logic; discuss.

"
CalamityAOE wrote:
I think the biggest effect this would have is on the price of Ex orbs. They could be worth 3 to 4 times if not more then what they normally are with the crafting method in the game. So yes the persons with the ability to generate Ex orbs through trading would be getting insanely rich this league if they kept it the way it was.

While you're probably right that it would influence the exalted orb exchange rate, your conclusion doesn't make sense; the items they'd be trading for those exalts would then be priced at 25%-33% the current price (when expressed in exalts).
"
acme_myst wrote:
"
CalamityAOE wrote:
I think the biggest effect this would have is on the price of Ex orbs. They could be worth 3 to 4 times if not more then what they normally are with the crafting method in the game. So yes the persons with the ability to generate Ex orbs through trading would be getting insanely rich this league if they kept it the way it was.

While you're probably right that it would influence the exalted orb exchange rate, your conclusion doesn't make sense; the items they'd be trading for those exalts would then be priced at 25%-33% the current price (when expressed in exalts).

I'm actually not sure Ex wont still be worth large amounts this league. I mean you can't get multiple essence mods on an item so that's one thing. However you can still scour and multi mod the crap out of an item until it's mirror worthy. This league is really going to be interesting from a trading standpoint either way.
"

See, that's the thing; I don't expect there will be "ample supply" for chaos-spam-like crafting with these, especially not top-tier essences.

Taking into account that it takes 700+ level 1 essences to get 1 level 7, you're going to be in for a lot of grinding. Sure, they drop up to level 5, of which you'll only need 9. Still there's, what, 25 different types announced? Even assuming you find 1 level 5 per zone at endgame (don't think so), that's 225 zones for one of the top-tier essences you want---and that's assuming a uniform distribution over the different types, which, knowing GGG, will probably not be the case.

Now multiply those numbers by how many chaos you'd normally spend spamming to get a good item; 500-1000 on armour pieces and such is not unheard of, and weapons are more difficult still

I generally agree, and understand the maths here needed to get to a T7 essence. But the usual pyramid scheme of average players farming and more experienced players accumulating their finds will again prevail. The guys spamming 84 gear with chaos will simply buy the essences rather than farming them. But, as you suggest the details of essence drop types/levels will be very important. I'm also interested to see what happens to value of chaos orb.
Last edited by BatHeart on Aug 22, 2016, 12:04:43 PM
So it won't be super easy to create mirror level items. This can only be a good thing.
We fight to delay the end because it's the means that matter.
"
BatHeart wrote:

I generally agree, and understand the maths here needed to get to a T7 essence. But the usual pyramid scheme of average players farming and more experienced players accumulating their finds will again prevail. The guys spamming 84 gear with chaos will simply buy the essences rather than farming them. But, as you suggest the details of essence drop types/levels will be very important. I'm also interested to see what happens to value of chaos orb.

So what you're saying is, in their effort to change this system to prevent the rich from getting richer, they managed to change it into something that only rich players will be able to benefit from? (Not disagreeing with you, just rhetorically pointing out the facepalm)

"
Timewar9 wrote:

So it won't be super easy to create mirror level items. This can only be a good thing.

It never would've been that.
Last edited by acme_myst on Aug 22, 2016, 12:29:02 PM
I can't find much to agree with in the OP, although I did learn that people have very different definitions of 'rich' - with some people claiming it's having lots of powerful items and finished builds, and others seeing it more as having a vault full of currencies.

2 major points of criticism:

You have a flawed premise. He didn't say "we don't want the rich to get richer" and it shouldn't be in the title.

-also-

"
So, the only "problem" I see here for GGG is not that the rich will get richer but that most people will have somewhat easy access to TOP TIER ITEMS -> easier game -> might get bored more easily ?

This statement doesn't jive with

"
Cadiro was the best thing ever in PoE. Why? Because it gave ANYONE a chance at becoming rich and actually gave you strong incentives to keep playing and raise the chances of meeting him and get a good deal; at the same time, Cadiro encouraged you to try out more builds as you had the item(s) you needed to do that.

this one. Good items retain players, or make them bored. It can't do both for the majority.
Last edited by innervation on Aug 22, 2016, 1:44:17 PM
"
innervation wrote:

[...]
You have a flawed premise. He didn't say "we don't want the rich to get richer" and it shouldn't be in the title.
[...]

I was about to write this. Not that it's surprising a thread on these boards would start off a wrong premise.
That's exactly what he said.

"so we feel that this particular case was a bit too far in the direction of "the rich get richer"."

If that doesn't mean "we don't want the rich to get richer" in plain English, I don't know how else to explain it to you 2 guys :P

"Wealth in a game is measured by the amount of fun, joy and entertainment you can get out of it".
-Mythabril
Last edited by EKTELESTES on Aug 22, 2016, 2:15:12 PM
"
EKTELESTES wrote:
That's exactly what he said.

"so we feel that this particular case was a bit too far in the direction of "the rich get richer"."

If that doesn't mean "we don't want the rich to get richer" in plain English, I don't know how else to explain it to you 2 guys :P

You aren't reading carefully enough, and as a result you're thinking in binary either/or fashion. The operative words are 'too far in the direction of' which demonstrate that PoE is not a place where either the rich get richer or they don't, but rather, it's a spectrum.

Imagine a scale that ranges from 0 to 100. 0 represents that the rich never get richer, in fact every 24 hours, everyone's currency disappears, and every 7 days their characters get deleted. No matter how rich you get, you never get richer over the months and years.

Imagine 100 as being the rich always get richer, and no one else has a chance. August 22, 2013. This is the cutoff date. If your account was created before that date all the currency in your stash doubles every 24 hours. If your account was created after that date you can't trade with anyone.

What Chris actually said is that allowing Essences to work in tandem with master crafted mods would push the actual number we're at on the scale, whether it be 33, 51, or 67, a bit too far towards 100 for his liking.
If there's one thing I hate in life is "political correctness". And you, sir, with all due respect, are the most representative sample of that following.

You could have a brilliant political career if you're not already a politician :P

"Wealth in a game is measured by the amount of fun, joy and entertainment you can get out of it".
-Mythabril
Last edited by EKTELESTES on Aug 22, 2016, 3:20:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info