"We don't want the rich to get richer" logic; discuss.

Chris said they decided that master metamods won't work with the essences so that the rich won't get richer and the game economy will be ruined.

Development manifesto:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1713551

Comment By Chris:

"At the end of the day, this master metamod Essence crafting was something that less than 1% of our players will be wealthy enough to attempt, but would dramatically affect the rare item economy for everyone. Essences already apply a large boost to the potential of rare item crafting, so we feel that this particular case was a bit too far in the direction of "the rich get richer".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh ???

If the rich get richer by crafting and selling a ton of good rare items, that also means that the good rare items prices will drop significantly and the poor will have access to excellent rare items -> no more saving up and playing a ton of hours so you can afford some high end rare items.

So, the only "problem" I see here for GGG is not that the rich will get richer but that most people will have somewhat easy access to TOP TIER ITEMS -> easier game -> might get bored more easily ?

Since we're talking about ECONOMY here, Cadiro was the best thing ever in PoE. Why? Because it gave ANYONE a chance at becoming rich and actually gave you strong incentives to keep playing and raise the chances of meeting him and get a good deal; at the same time, Cadiro encouraged you to try out more builds as you had the item(s) you needed to do that.

So, IMHO, GGG's decision actually keeps the poor people poor since the rich will still get richer :P

"Wealth in a game is measured by the amount of fun, joy and entertainment you can get out of it".
-Mythabril
Last edited by EKTELESTES on Aug 22, 2016, 8:58:48 AM
Last bumped on Aug 24, 2016, 3:52:01 AM
says Cadiro was the best thing ever but all he did was make the poor get poorer because all items became relatively worthless.

Best not to talk economy when you dont understand it to be honest.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
says Cadiro was the best thing ever but all he did was make the poor get poorer because all items became relatively worthless.

How did he make the poor poorer when ANYBODY had a good chance of finding at least a shavs, not to mention Voll's Devotion + Headhunter?

In like 10k hours in the game, I have NEVER EVER dropped a shavs; yet Cadiro gave me 2 shavs + voll's + headhunter, among other 1ex ++ items.

Also, do you play Sim City or a Trading game or an Action RPG? I want to have items available; If I have the items available / have good chance of getting them, there is not need to trade a lot :P So what????

"Wealth in a game is measured by the amount of fun, joy and entertainment you can get out of it".
-Mythabril
Last edited by EKTELESTES on Aug 22, 2016, 8:47:19 AM
"
EKTELESTES wrote:
Chris said they decided that master metamods won't work with the essences so that the rich won't get richer and the game economy will be ruined.

Where did Chris say this? Do you have a link or full quote?
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
EKTELESTES wrote:
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:

How did he make the poor poorer when ANYBODY had a good chance of finding at least a shavs, not to mention Voll's Devotion + Headhunter?

Also, do you play Sim City or a Trading game or an Action RPG?

And how much was that shavs worth ? Fucking 1 exalt within a month and it stayed that way for the rest of the league, kaoms got even cheaper.

Guess who benefited from Perandus League the most ? The rich players who were able to grab coins in the quickest amount of time, AKA not the casual subset.

Rich players were able to buy all the gear with coins within week one (pooling coins), they were the ones immediately farming zones for coins and cadiro, which then was nerfed. They are also the first ones into maps and the labyrinth which bring about major economic advantages. You appear to be completely unaware that cadiro spawn rates and item rarity (t1 items showing up on cadiro) were nerfed in response to these players.

Day fucking one Headhunters, the only people who had the coins to buy these items were the ones pooling coins, i can tell you right now that they werent the casual players.

First one to maps are always the richest players because theyre the ones finding all the gear the casuals buy.

Edit - Just read the rest of your edited post. Not a single one of your character is wearing any of the items you mentioned, soo im inclined to believe youre full of shit.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Aug 22, 2016, 8:56:25 AM
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
"
EKTELESTES wrote:

Where did Chris say this? Do you have a link or full quote?

Development manifesto:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1713551

"At the end of the day, this master metamod Essence crafting was something that less than 1% of our players will be wealthy enough to attempt, but would dramatically affect the rare item economy for everyone. Essences already apply a large boost to the potential of rare item crafting, so we feel that this particular case was a bit too far in the direction of "the rich get richer".

-Mythabril
What a terrible statement.

What the fuck is that.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
"
EKTELESTES wrote:
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:

Also, do you play Sim City or a Trading game or an Action RPG?

And how much was that shavs worth ? Fucking 1 exalt within a month and it stayed that way for the rest of the league, kaoms got even cheaper.

Guess who benefited from Perandus League the most ? The rich players who were able to grab coins in the quickest amount of time, AKA not the casual subset.

Rich players were able to buy all the gear with coins within week one (pooling coins), they were the ones immediately farming zones for coins and cadiro, which then was nerfed. They are also the first ones into maps and the labyrinth which bring about major economic advantages.

First one to maps are always the richest players because theyre the ones finding all the gear the casuals buy.

See, here is where you are WRONG; This is not about accumulating vast amounts of currency! This is about PERFECTING your build / having access to better items / maps etc. People who are keen on trading / play in big guilds / have help / play 16+ hours a day, will ALWAYS GET RICH, no matter what!

So, the rich will always get rich no matter what! This is about the poor having a comfy game life, AS WELL.

Another example: Do you remember how many mirrors did these guys with the +3 bows / staffs make?? A +3 used to be 15 ex ++, after they revealed the master mod trick, it went down to 3-5 exalts! Was that bad for the average player who would never have access to such an item otherwise?

-Mythabril
"Youre wrong"

> Goes off on some random ranting tangent thats completely irrelevant.

Good to know my time here was wasted immediately. Now off to work.

Weird stance to take really, considering there are already scenarios where the 1% have a very strong grasp on elements of the market. Now those same groups can do it all over again here since it's now an iteration game.

But hey, no surprises here. No metamod = harder to "craft" (read: pseudo Chaos spam, lels) = more brainless grinding. More numbers to show off "league retention" later on.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Last edited by _Saranghaeyo_ on Aug 22, 2016, 9:05:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info