So, why exactly are 'you' against CoC? It's not like it's the equivalent of pre release Spork...

Can we not just nerf everything??
Last edited by AshmakerMcQ on Aug 19, 2016, 4:35:08 PM
CoC isnt even broken. People who think so are living in the past like pre 2.0. Top builds today are direct fire or direct cast. That said proc rate will prolly be reduced to 50% and still be decent no worries. My main point is almost everything is OP now with power creep.

I'd like to see a real nerf like 75% DPS nerf of almost all skills.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Aug 19, 2016, 4:38:49 PM
It's not just about the current power of CoC, it's about future wiggle room for balance. CoC is a lot like shotgunning was: it horrendously limits what kinda skills/mechanics can be implemented in the future. If CoC remains the same, every single attack or spell has to pass a 'how abusable would it be for triggering CoC/getting triggered by CoC' test, and that test is far more restricting than testing any other potential interaction (besides maybe poison, but hopefully that's being dealt with too).

It's also about performance... face it, people don't like frying their gpus because someone's casting 3 spells 15-20 times a second (and god help you if one of those spells is discharge...)

And there's the relative maintenance cost (by which i mean mana) which is... yeah, pretty much zero. A single attack with a 130% or w/e mana multiplier for CoC costs next-to-nothing, while triggering spells that should be eating thousands of mana per second for no charge. It's kinda a slap in the face to self-casters (and trappers and miners) when triggering with CoC generates higher 'cast' rates for a fraction of the cost... hell, even totemers look ripped off by comparison.

I mean, it's justifiable for the other triggers to trigger spells for free... CwDT/Stunned have an extra opportunity cost to pay in terms of taking damage, CoH has its own other drawbacks (though i'd argue it should have a cost mult above 100%), and CoMK requires splitting your focus between augmenting the melee attack and the spell(s) and doesn't compare to the dps potential of CoC.

CoC does deserve a rework for the health of the game, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it'll happen. It's not like GGG wants to tear down the archetype or nerf it into oblivion; it's rarely the intention of developers to nerf an individual mechanic to the point where it isn't used (though it's sometimes necessary to nerf a specific interaction of mechanics that produce an unreasonable or unexpected result to the point where they're not used). They'll look into it and find a healthier way for it to exist while still having a unique flavor, though it may take a while to fully tune it up.

If I had to guess what that form was? Well, hard to say what direction they wanna go with it. I'd assume a reliability-enhancing 100% proc rate with scaling 'increased spell damage' like CoMK has, instead of the steadily-scaling proc rate it currently has, combined with some kinda frequency-reducing change. Could be a longer internal cooldown, could just be a different kinda limitation (like spells can only be triggered once per attack usage, for instance). There's other things that can change too, but the frequency is the most problematic issue from a design perspective.
Last edited by Shppy on Aug 19, 2016, 4:47:36 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
CoC isnt even broken. People who think so are living in the past like pre 2.0. Top builds today are direct fire or direct cast. That said proc rate will prolly be reduced to 50% and still be decent no worries. My main point is almost everything is OP now with power creep.

I'd like to see a real nerf like 75% DPS nerf of almost all skills.

I'd much prefer them to add an internal cooldown. The issue with CoC is being able to multi hit 6 times per second with barrage or cyclone.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
"
yungwhiz wrote:
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
They can adjust values back properly. Values are too high because of these builds existing. Thats a pretty selfish mindset "I dont give a shit". You should because it affects literally everyone who isnt playing those builds rofl. Youre literally saying fuck you my fun playing a broken as shit build is more important than everyone suffering through game changes trying to accommodate your demi god build.

I dont have a demigod build. I dont play CoC. I dont want to ruin the fun of people that do. That makes me selfish? They have already said that it will be changed in 2.4. Knowing GGG that means that its going to get gutted. Come back here afterwards and tell me that all of a sudden there are no gimmicky one shots because they are no longer needed without CoC being so powerful.
Lmao, THEY CAN FUCKING PULL BACK THE DAMAGE NUMBERS ACCROSS THE BOARD. The reason why they arent right now is because they literally fucking cant kill people without them, is that really that hard to understand ?

They pull back the numbers and damage gets scaled back across the board, stupid shit wont one shot anymore.

I highly doubt you dont have a COC build and it doesnt makes the shit you said any less selfish.

You understand that they cant kill anybody without one shots yet you want all monster damaged pulled back. Soooooo. You want them to not be able to kill anybody? I understand and agree with you that one shots are lame. But in a game like this it is one shot or cake walk. There isnt a nice middle ground. If there is GGG is incapable of finding it. One shots are not in the game because of OP skills, they are in the game because you hold one button to move and one button to attack and that is the entire depth of the active gameplay. There are very few ways to make the game the challenge that they try to sell it as without gimmicks. Look at the video on the front page right now. Keep in mind the boss is designed with CoC already nerfed.

P.S nothing on my account is hidden. I play 90% in standard and never delete characters.
"
Shppy wrote:

CoC does deserve a rework for the health of the game, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it'll happen. It's not like GGG wants to tear down the archetype or nerf it into oblivion; it's rarely the intention of developers to nerf an individual mechanic to the point where it isn't used (though it's sometimes necessary to nerf a specific interaction of mechanics that produce an unreasonable or unexpected result to the point where they're not used). They'll look into it and find a healthier way for it to exist while still having a unique flavor, though it may take a while to fully tune it up.

LOL

you must be new around here. They will shit on it so babies will stop crying on the forums lol.
People make some crazy assumption that the entire game...new spells...new content...EVERYTHING goes thru some imaginary CoC check. PLEASE.

They will wreck the skill than these forum zealots can be happy...but then they'll just take their pitchforks and try to burn down something else in the game that through some stretch of imagination "affects everybody's gameplay".

Put simply people can't handle the fact that their builds take 5 minutes to clear a map where as other people's builds take 1 minute.

Until everyone's build is not homogenized (hello World of Warcraft) will these crusades for skill nerfing come to an end.

It's fucking annoying, but at this point i just laugh it off. There will always be something OP and something for forum crusaders to cry about. I'm just happy that I play leagues. I feel really bad for the folks that only play in standard and get the nerfed-shitty version of what we actually got to have fun with for 3 months.
i find it weird that you can "Go Crit"
cause like in other RPG games, even if u REAALLLY try to "go Crit"

it ends up being like 20 percent chance to crit or something ... like absolutely maxxed out

idk i just found that to be weird about this game,
for the longest time i thought getting crit nodes and crit gear was a total waste of time, cause of how other RPGs handle crit..

then again, in those games a crit is like.. 90 percent of an enemies life in damage or something

but i mean yeah PoE is its own game, make it however
.. i just thought it was weird idk

crit is supposed to be a bonus, not a build
Last edited by CaoMengde on Aug 19, 2016, 6:49:13 PM
"
CaoMengde wrote:

it ends up being like 20 percent chance to crit or something ... like absolutely maxxed out

for the longest time i thought getting crit nodes and crit gear was a total waste of time, cause of how other RPGs handle crit..

then again, in those games a crit is like.. 90 percent of an enemies life in damage or something

Even in oldschool dnd games like icewindale 2 released over a decade ago you could go 100% crit and get max damage rolls on top of it. PoE does not allow the manipulation of the latter in any way shape or form.
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
CaoMengde wrote:

Even in oldschool dnd games like icewindale 2 released over a decade ago you could go 100% crit and get max damage rolls on top of it. PoE does not allow the manipulation of the latter in any way shape or form.

IWD2 isn't nearly old school, and it's not even d&d it's ad&d.
The difference is you shouldn't 'rely' on 'critical' hits, according to the meaning of both terms (it's simply a contradiction).

It's not only a matter of terminology, and entire style revolved around higher statistical damage provided by occasional bursts of high damage. Had a downside because of being unpredictably risky for being susceptible to prolonged 'dry streaks' but rewarding when multiple of those 'relatively rare' procs happened in a row. That was lost and replaced by the 'constant critical' models, and it didn't have to be like that. Newer gamers are very much used to the notion of 'more crit = more dmg, with no risk, downside nor alternate 'style' whatsoever' and that is simply poorer design, there's no way around it. The complementary restrictions and mechanics that came along that high dmg burst potential have been completely neglected to the point of degrading the entire concept.
Last edited by BacktoHell on Aug 19, 2016, 7:34:25 PM
"
BacktoHell wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
CaoMengde wrote:

IWD2 isn't nearly old school, and it's not even d&d it's ad&d.
The difference is you shouldn't 'rely' on 'critical' hits, according to the meaning of both terms (it's simply a contradiction).

It's not only a matter of terminology, and entire style revolved around higher statistical damage provided by occasional bursts of high damage. Had a downside because of being unpredictably risky for being susceptible to prolonged 'dry streaks' but rewarding when multiple of those 'relatively rare' procs happened in a row. That was lost and replaced by the 'constant critical' models, and it didn't have to be like that. Newer gamers are very much used to the notion of 'more crit = more dmg, with no risk, downside nor alternate 'style' whatsoever' and that is simply poorer design, there's no way around it. The complementary restrictions and mechanics that came along that high dmg burst potential have been completely neglected to the point of degrading the entire concept.

It's 2016 most people arent playing with paper and pen and rolling dices to get their rpg on. They want to right click and have 2 screen's radius worth of mobs die instantly. What does it matter that the concept of reliable crit didnt exist 20 years ago on a table top with dices?

You may not like where poe has gone from a crit or clear speed perspective but its clearly what ggg intended in order to grow their playerbase and stay in business.

Too many mechanics are reliant on crit and clear speed and that's by GGG's design. Looking at basically any ascendant class will be telling enough.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info