one handed spears

any thoughts on adding one handed spears. also rome style armor would be cool.
Last bumped on Aug 28, 2016, 8:50:43 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I for one would love to see spears in the game, what with them being used by pretty much every society throughout history and all.
Yes! More weapons would always be an awesome addition.

It would be a lot of work, deciding required stats, which skills they function with, etc.

Perhaps more expansion-level material, but I would welcome it!
"
SudianX wrote:

It would be a lot of work, deciding required stats, which skills they function with, etc.

Deciding Stats and Skills is the easy part. The hard one is making models for the spears and animations for all 7 chars with all skills that spears are usable with.
Oh yeah... all the animations. I did not even think of that.

Silly me. Clearly I know a lot about computer programming :P
Spears would be really cool indeed. Being still melee but attacking from a longer distance.
A New Staff with an implicit +2 Melee Range could be a spear. Plus we already have Spear-ish shaped staves in-game.

Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
"
Emphasy wrote:
"
SudianX wrote:

Deciding Stats and Skills is the easy part. The hard one is making models for the spears and animations for all 7 chars with all skills that spears are usable with.

Deciding skills would take a lot of time, with the proper testing that comes with it, balance is not something to take lightly in PoE if you want something correct imho.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Spears with chance to pierce through armor/ physical reduction.
Make melee great again !!
"
T_Speed wrote:
Spears with chance to pierce through armor/ physical reduction.
Make melee great again !!

Actually you would need Physical Penetration. Enemies have almost no armor. They usually have direct Physical Reduction by the "armored" mod or power charges or the map mod.

They should actually look into some implicits of weapons in general. Foils are good, but Axes have none and the little bit more base damage is meaningless for well rolled weapons and the Stun Duration on Maces could be a sub type.

Not sure why Bows got so many different implicits, of course there is only one base type, bows so they are technically the axes, maces, swords and staves of ranged combat, but giving a bit more flexibility to melee weapons would be a very easy and cheap modification that could actually help a lot.

Just look at some of the weapons. Reaver and Royal Axe is exactly the same, yes Reaver has a bigger damage gap, but once you add some flat phys to it, that is hardly noticable, they even have the same stat requirements.

Even worse are 1h Maces. Just look at Legion Hammer and Nightmare Mace, they are the same weapon, ok technically it is 27 to 63 damage and 29 to 61 damage, but that is the only difference. Couldn't one of those weapons get another implicit to make them different?

Over at 1h swords it doesn't look any different, actually we have 3 swords with the same aps, same dps, same stats, same implicit, again only different damage gaps. And the worst thing is all those 3 swords are terrible compared to Eternal or Corsair swords.

For sceptres we even have two weapons that have exactly the same damage values, however they do actually have 30% and 40% increased elemental damage, which is an oddity, because why should you use one if you have the other.

So although I would like to see Spears, Crossbows or even Thaumaturgical Pistols in the game, it would be much easier to take a look at existing weapons and making some of the more interesting. There should be a lot of data around about how desirable certain base items for weapon crafting are and I'm sure there are a lot of bases nobody wants.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info