Can millenials take a joke? The state of modern comedy.

https://theringer.com/can-millennials-take-a-joke-542f58bd7efb#.19m501ocb

I will summarize for anyone who doesn't want to read it:

Quick shout outs to Political correctness and trigger warnings as rising social concerns, comedians and musical acts (Action Bronson) banned from performing at university campuses.

References a documentary called Can We Take a Joke?, directed by Ted Balaker.

Documentary is full of comedians, interviewed, who all say people can't take jokes any more.

Author claims that the documentary doesn't really want to have a discussion because they don't interview anyone who has felt outraged at a comedy show.

Author claims (the main point of the article imo) that

1) today's college students and post-collegiate millennials associate 'hateful' comedy with their parent's generation, thus, banning it on campuses and being outraged on twitter is their way of rebelling against their parents/authority (like every generation finds a way to do).

2) the above groups want inoffensive comedy, not the older hateful stuff, what's so wrong about that?

Would be interested in hearing opinions about the state of modern comedy (both stand-up and at large in the culture), the article, and especially this author's conclusions.
Last bumped on Aug 7, 2016, 9:49:44 PM
i always considered the people who get offended to be people who are insecure.

insecure people are people with problems... and i stay away from them, which also means i stay away from most of society.

i just breathe today and i offend someone, all i can do is sigh.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 9:35:51 PM
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Aug 5, 2016, 9:31:06 AM
Laughter is life's great medicine. People who don't take it spend a great deal of time in pain.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
You know it is probably unforgivable if the joke aren't funny. Never seen the show but if you have a bunch of angry people at the end of the show, it is probably not very funny.

If you think you have the right to offend, I think people have the right to protest when they are offended. Free speech should work both ways.

"
deathflower wrote:
You know it is probably unforgivable if the joke aren't funny. Never seen the show but if you have a bunch of angry people at the end of the show, it is probably not very funny.

If you think you have the right to offend, I think people have the right to protest when they are offended. Free speech should work both ways.

This thinking leads to problems for people like me who appreciate dark humor not everyone can laugh about.

if i laugh of my self > everyone esle
my english sux.
Self irony and cynicism are gifts. And and expression of common sense. People able to laugh at themselves won't ever feel offended by anything.
On the other hand, freedom of speech isn't a gift, but hardly earned. Should keep it safe.

The new generation is a bunch of touchy leftist sissies. Sometimes wonder how they even live with themselves (without...getting offended).

"
Sa_Re wrote:
people like me who appreciate dark humor

Dark humor is like a little child with cancer - never gets old.
Spoiler
I know I'll burn.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Aug 5, 2016, 12:03:09 PM
"
torturo wrote:

"
Sa_Re wrote:
people like me who appreciate dark humor

Dark humor is like a little child with cancer - never gets old.
Spoiler
I know I'll burn.

What does your first car have in common with your first sex?
Spoiler
It's kinda meh but it's from your dad, what can you expect.

[Removed by Support]
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Ethan_GGG on Aug 7, 2016, 7:22:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info