Preliminary Performance Improvement Results

"
PsOfOs wrote:
I can't tell if you are being honest about not hearing about this issue before or just a white knight. And i'm sorry if it sounds offensive.

No worries, I'd be frustrated too if I was getting massive frame rate drops on decent hardware. :-) However, the Core i5 2500K, while a nice CPU, is rather old now (more than 5 years old). As for "white knight", please don't label people. How would you like it if I labeled you "complainer" or "hater" and because of this classification you don't matter?

"
PsOfOs wrote:
Just a google search or a youtube search is enough to see how many people it affects. (...) People have been complaining about this ever since ground effects were introduced. Solo gameplay,parties are unplayable.

There's an archived thread on reddit and plenty of other discussion about it. Yes, there are plenty complaining, but equally plenty saying they have no framerate drop with ground effects.

I run a GTX 680 with an old Core i7 920 and 12GB of RAM, never have framerate drop with ground effects in maps with related mods. But I do have framerate drop with massive numbers of dead bodies around (eg: the pit battles in Daresso's Dream is bad for that).

In Reddit and elsewhere, plenty of people don't have issues with ground effects...

"
running on a toaster with xp and only 2 gig ram and this isn't an issue for me

"
Running a GTX 660 TI. Never flinched except that one time I Vaal Cycloned fracture spiders in Jungle Valley boss room. Took me a few minutes to find my manhood after that.

But otherwise, no problems with ground effects, been stable at around 60 fps with no heat issues (stock fan too). And this is with maxed out graphics settings...

"
My computer is ancient but even ground effects don't affect it too much. But I do notice that HUGE maps with dead bodies everywhere drops my fps to 20-25.

"
I'm using a 980 with one of the latest i7 cpus and it's mostly fine. 120+fps pretty much constantly. Lots of ground effects and I drop down to 60 some times.

"
If you manually modify the .ini file with the graphics settings you can turn them down lower than the settings allow. (1 is high quality textures, 2 medium, and higher numbers worse).

3 strikes a good balance between performance and looking alright. Highly recommend doing this. I run a very mediocre computer and get OK performance this way on desecrated or burning ground maps.

Of course this shouldn't require editing a .ini file...

"
What? I run a 970 and never have been disconnected because of ground effects.... I think you people make some of this shit up.

"
970gtx here, runs smooth 55-60fps across the board.

"
I have 970 gtx and I have 143 fps all the time (vsync, 144hz monitor)

"
Same here, I do not have these problems that everyone complains about. Running a 970 and the game runs smooth. The only time my FPS takes a significant dip is when I'm playing with someone using CoC and we hit a huge pack of mobs - that's the only time I notice any FPS drop.

So, lots of people don't have issues. And the ones complaining about this online are probably a maximum of a several dozen at best, which is a super low fraction of a percent of players who don't complain about this.

It's quite possible there's a bug with ground effects that are affecting a small portion of users for one reasons or another. Since you seem to be one of those, doing a full write up in tech support might be a nice way of isolating this and further pressing the issue with GGG. Because in the past GGG has said they don't see this problem in their analytic data (they can record the framerate of everyone playing).
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Aug 5, 2016, 10:41:34 AM
In a post nearly 4 years ago i was writing:

"pls GGG optimize the game further.
It seems multithreading is not supported, thats a big flaw.
My pc is good but still i get nasty framedrops to 1 fps. How is that possible."

It took a long ass time but finally they came around to makeing it a reality.
On my pc it doesn't run very smooth yet but we will see what 2.4 can do about it.
You have to remember to chase and catch your dreams, because if you don't, your imagination will live in empty spaces, and that's nowhere land.
"
MaxTheLimit wrote:
"
Baron01 wrote:
Something is fishy with the test/beta version of performance improvements.

Would you mind running the game in Windowed mode with MT on and having CPUID ( AKA CPU-z ) running to see if the fluctuations correlate to the frequency of the processor, or changes in the COUP multiplier?
I'm wondering if the unlcoked multiplier or turbo boost may be causing some instability with the results.

Also, the 4790K is also known to be targeted at overclockers. Is your machine running at stock, or is it overclocked?

Maybe post the results in the tech support forum...

I downloaded CPU-Z and checked it while playing the game in windowed mode with MT support ON. Frequency was not moving much from 4400 to 4600+/- and the multiplier was ranging from 44 to 45.

My CPU is stock, no OC. My GTX 970 is ASUS STRIX that is further OCed above what is ships (STRIX being OC card from manufacturer).
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
PsOfOs wrote:
I can't tell if you are being honest about not hearing about this issue before or just a white knight. And i'm sorry if it sounds offensive.

No worries, I'd be frustrated too if I was getting massive frame rate drops on decent hardware. :-) However, the Core i5 2500K, while a nice CPU, is rather old now (more than 5 years old). As for "white knight", please don't label people. How would you like it if I labeled you "complainer" or "hater" and because of this classification you don't matter?

"
PsOfOs wrote:
Just a google search or a youtube search is enough to see how many people it affects. (...) People have been complaining about this ever since ground effects were introduced. Solo gameplay,parties are unplayable.

There's an archived thread on reddit and plenty of other discussion about it. Yes, there are plenty complaining, but equally plenty saying they have no framerate drop with ground effects.

I run a GTX 680 with an old Core i7 920 and 12GB of RAM, never have framerate drop with ground effects in maps with related mods. But I do have framerate drop with massive numbers of dead bodies around (eg: the pit battles in Daresso's Dream is bad for that).

In Reddit and elsewhere, plenty of people don't have issues with ground effects...

"
running on a toaster with xp and only 2 gig ram and this isn't an issue for me

"
Running a GTX 660 TI. Never flinched except that one time I Vaal Cycloned fracture spiders in Jungle Valley boss room. Took me a few minutes to find my manhood after that.

But otherwise, no problems with ground effects, been stable at around 60 fps with no heat issues (stock fan too). And this is with maxed out graphics settings...

"
My computer is ancient but even ground effects don't affect it too much. But I do notice that HUGE maps with dead bodies everywhere drops my fps to 20-25.

"
I'm using a 980 with one of the latest i7 cpus and it's mostly fine. 120+fps pretty much constantly. Lots of ground effects and I drop down to 60 some times.

"
If you manually modify the .ini file with the graphics settings you can turn them down lower than the settings allow. (1 is high quality textures, 2 medium, and higher numbers worse).

3 strikes a good balance between performance and looking alright. Highly recommend doing this. I run a very mediocre computer and get OK performance this way on desecrated or burning ground maps.

Of course this shouldn't require editing a .ini file...

"
What? I run a 970 and never have been disconnected because of ground effects.... I think you people make some of this shit up.

"
970gtx here, runs smooth 55-60fps across the board.

"
I have 970 gtx and I have 143 fps all the time (vsync, 144hz monitor)

"
Same here, I do not have these problems that everyone complains about. Running a 970 and the game runs smooth. The only time my FPS takes a significant dip is when I'm playing with someone using CoC and we hit a huge pack of mobs - that's the only time I notice any FPS drop.

So, lots of people don't have issues. And the ones complaining about this online are probably a maximum of a several dozen at best, which is a super low fraction of a percent of players who don't complain about this.

It's quite possible there's a bug with ground effects that are affecting a small portion of users for one reasons or another. Since you seem to be one of those, doing a full write up in tech support might be a nice way of isolating this and further pressing the issue with GGG. Because in the past GGG has said they don't see this problem in their analytic data (they can record the framerate of everyone playing).

I'm playing on a laptop with i3 3110 2.4 GHz, nVidia 710m. Fps spikes around 80-110 in HO, minimal settings and Shadows off. When I get into zones with ground effects, it doesn't go higher than 30. Playing most of other games flawlessly. See, the thing is, particles screw this game big time and there needs to be a solution to reduce them. I'm not talking about removing them, I'm talking about reducing the amount of particles. Let's say, we just see some red stuff instead of dem HD flame particles.
GGG saying if they do that they will break the atmosphere of the game.. This smells like bullshit tbh. I can assure you, people who are able to max the game will max it anyway and those who will be able to play the game with the particles reduced will play just as much as the others. Effects are not the "core" of the game.
As an example, here I am. What I like about this game is that you can start in a league from scratch with everyone and while playing, you can amass high amount of currency doing different stuff. I like the economy system.
Believe me, particles affect most of users. Not everyone has i7 and GTX Titan + SSD. Just because people don't say anything doesn't mean it's not happening. Izaro and Malachai fight are super laggy for me, freezing and everything. The particles should be the next thing GGG should focus on, really. It will make the game so much more enjoyable and I highly doubt it would cost them that much as porting the game to another engine and should be even quicker.
Last edited by returnofsnow on Aug 5, 2016, 3:00:25 PM
I have enabled this feauture. I have i3 3220 and amd hd 7770. Frame rate still are not very good, 32-90 depends on action. And after 20 minutes of playing, I had colored stripes on my screen. Windows didn't answer. I've rebooted my pc and saw that my videocard is broken and doesn't work. Thanks for that update =\, be carefull guys, I've JUST LOST MY VIDEOCARD :( Tnx for this beta test GGG
Go fix instance crashes
GTX 970, the most common card used in PoE? Are people actually growing money on tress to afford such luxury? Wtf?
"
markvd wrote:
So, in short, absolutely nothing was done for the low end PC population. Which would have benefited the most from optimization.

Thanks GGG

It's a free to play game so you can spend that money buying the most current and sophisticated gaming rig to play an online game in a party and not by yourself.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Last edited by p0t on Aug 6, 2016, 7:45:55 AM
game crashes a lot. can't even load into the game. Which is a shame, because the one thing i loved when i came back was how fast my load times were. Hopefully they will apply more fixes before the official launch of the optimization. Playing a Elemental witch build with lots of flashy effects is killer.
"The path of a true warrior is not how strong you become to defeat others; but how strong you become to protect those who matter most."

Yhuma - melee Dagger Shadow

The game was working fine yesterday with the performance improvements engaged, but today it's crap: freezing or locking-up constantly, and at least one total realm crash, all in a span of just a couple of hours. Did y'all change something this morning, or is it just me?
#ssf_is_better
#make_necropolis_core
#make_melee_better

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info