No Man's Sky

"
Slayer_Tip wrote:
Fuck yes lol, ive been waiting since ive heard about it... finally, a space exploration game that might not suck major shit.

Welp, play the Sad Trombone, because it seems that No Man's Sky actually sucks major shit. : ( It is yet-another-RNG-world, where everything looks the same after 2h of play, and mechanics go nowhere.

Sad, because I wanted it to be good, too. :(
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Aug 16, 2016, 8:50:40 AM
"
Perq wrote:
"
Slayer_Tip wrote:
Fuck yes lol, ive been waiting since ive heard about it... finally, a space exploration game that might not suck major shit.

Welp, play the Sad Trombone, because it seems that No Man's Sky actually sucks major shit. : ( It is yet-another-RNG-world, where everything looks the same after 2h of play, and mechanics go nowhere.

Sad, because I wanted it to be good, too. :(

that's not true it is a very very amazing game. Probably the best space exploration game ever made. But it's not an mmo or an action game, people never followed the game dev and never red about the game before buying it, so if you were looking for your next sci-fi action FPS shooter title then you're not looking at the good game, and be disappointed like all the sheeps who never red a single line about the game. But, if you are looking for an amazing exploration survival crafting game, then it's one for you.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 9:58:01 PM
"
diablofdb wrote:

that's not true it is a very very amazing game. Probably the best space exploration game ever made. But it's not an mmo or an action game, people never followed the game dev and never red about the game before buying it, so if you were looking for your next sci-fi action FPS shooter title then you're not looking at the good game, and be disappointed like all the sheeps who never red a single line about the game. But, if you are looking for an amazing exploration survival crafting game, then it's one for you.

I haven't played it yet so no clue if my expectations are met or not, but what I personally expect of a good exploration game is a) varied environments that not only look different but also offer new and advanced game mechanics the more I explore b) varied ways of achieving the goal of exploration c) actually interesting worlds with good background stories and engaging NPCs and finally d) my exploration should ideally have an impact not only on my character but also on the world itself.

Now I know this is hard to achieve but I've been playing the release version of Starbound for many hours now and it comes pretty close. I've also seen a lot of people comparing Starbound to NMS.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:

I haven't played it yet so no clue if my expectations are met or not, but what I personally expect of a good exploration game is a) varied environments that not only look different but also offer new and advanced game mechanics the more I explore b) varied ways of achieving the goal of exploration c) actually interesting worlds with good background stories and engaging NPCs and finally d) my exploration should ideally have an impact not only on my character but also on the world itself.

Now I know this is hard to achieve but I've been playing the release version of Starbound for many hours now and it comes pretty close. I've also seen a lot of people comparing Starbound to NMS.

Well yesterday when I played No Man's sky: I was exploring a very normal planet with nothing special on it I landed on it during the night time so it was all dark I was following a signal to explore an abandoned building to get some rare technology. When I got out of the building it was morning on the planet. Sun was rising at the horizon, sky was teal geen, herb was blue and there were some very elegant four legged reptilian creature walking singing like the brachiosaur in Jurrasic Parc. It was such a beautiful sight and it took me by surprise I wasn't expecting it at all.

So that game has it's moments, it's slow paced and very chills, you can take as much time to explore everything you want. If you like exploration game you will surely enjoy this one.
I might check this title out next year. I've been hyped for it since I first heard about it (way back before it ever had a release date), but reading reviews and talking to a couple friends who have played it, my hypes have died down.

For me it's the competitive aspect, or lack thereof. My hope was that this game would let me explore competitively. I wanted to have a solar system (or galaxy?) of my own, by virtue of starting the game there. I wanted to explore it, name the things (get credit for exploring it), then I wanted to go to other people's areas and name their shit out from under them. I wanted to leave my exploratory mark on other's territory. Then I wanted to go back to my system and thoroughly explore every nook and cranny - to the point that anyone venturing into my neck of the woods didn't have a prayer of finding something that I didn't find first.

Ultimately this was (and is) probably too hard a balance to strike. The idea that another player or three will find their way to your homeworlds over the course of a week, but not to the point that 3,000 are. A question of space and time so to speak. What I gather from everything I've read is that you should never expect to find another player or their explored worlds ever.

For anyone who's ever played minecraft, perhaps you can relate. I've never played the game solo, only with other active friends on a server. I want to see what they build. I want them to see my constructions. Whatever forces drive those emotions operate on my feelings for NMS. What's the point of being Edmund Hillary if no one ever hears of your heroics? What's the point of building the towering skyscrapers in Dubai or Malaysia if no one ever sees them or sets foot in them?
Last edited by innervation on Aug 16, 2016, 2:52:13 PM
I'm already maxed out on ship (48 slots), exosuit (48 slots), weapon (24 slots), and techs (all as far as I'm aware). I'm also maxed out on upgrades on all the above. My ship has ALL upgrades installed and still many slots left to store items. Still 160k light years from the center with nothing really left to do but warp to a new system and see similar types of planets I've already seen before a dozen times.

I figured out something interesting about the space combat. Interesting in how boring it is. You're better off staying still rather than moving because the enemy AI + Weapons can hit you regardless of whether you're moving or not. Which led me to believe you were better off staying still so you could pivot around in one spot and shoot all the targets around you. First time I did that was the easiest, and quickest dog fight I ever had. Trying to do fancy moves in dog fights will just get you hit anyway, and it just makes it harder for you to track stuff. Something else is when you receive the sign about "hostile scan", etc. Immediately drop out of pulse, sit, and wait. The ships will come out of one location, and for a few seconds you'll have them all in your field of view and if your ship is upgraded like mine is, you can pick all or at least half of them off before they can fire a shot at you.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Aug 16, 2016, 3:04:14 PM
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 9:58:14 PM
I left my mark one one world by naming the planet Penii (had penis shaped plants all over the surface), and there was a mob that looked like a triceratops I named cawkatops (its tail looked like a dick, had the head and everything). Just a couple examples of my many naming exploits. Don't hate because you're not as creative as me.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Aug 16, 2016, 3:08:40 PM
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:

Looks like NMS is gonna be another one of those massively polarizing games, because different players look for different things. I've watched just a very little gameplay footage, and I can tell you, I got bored. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info