Are We Ever Going to See Combat Use of Weapon Switch?

Since I started playing, I thought a Bow character switching to melee after wiping out most monsters was going to be a thing when I learned about the secondary weapon slot. It still feels like that was the original intention and it got scrapped simply to become a gem leveling slot.

I think the swap spots are given up on and wonder if they will ever be more than gem bags. Might as well give the background weapons a default haku weapon mod so enlighten, empower and enhance have their maximum exp bonus, take away the actual weapons and just make it a spot for 6 gems to sit in and level.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Last edited by PleiadesBlackstar on Jul 29, 2016, 3:17:34 PM
Last bumped on Aug 1, 2016, 5:55:04 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Aside from a 2 hander build that doesn't have sockets in the chest and has 2 weapons that are great, when would you ever need a secondary setup for weapon swapping?
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Why press more buttons when you can just press one?

The design idea for the weapon swap was probably from the closed beta, when the game was still closely similar to diablo 2.

The game has evolved. Whether that design choice stays or not, is up to them.

That aside, you could always have an iron grip setup or something on swap to do ranged things (Apply chilled ground via ice shot, apply elemental equilibrium, etc etc.)
Unique Map Making~

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1174961

I like music. Do you like music? Cause I sure as hell like a lot of random music.
"
goetzjam wrote:
Aside from a 2 hander build that doesn't have sockets in the chest and has 2 weapons that are great, when would you ever need a secondary setup for weapon swapping?

I don't think I understand. You mean for example if somebody is weapon swapping between say Marohi and Disfavour (pretend Marohi is just as good) or 2 similar rare 2hers?

What I am wondering is if dual combat builds were originally intended to be in the game but the clear speed meta and everything before that kind of made that idea obsolete. As things are, dual combat types is absolutely pointless but I'm just kind of wondering what if here.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
"
"
goetzjam wrote:

I don't think I understand. You mean for example if somebody is weapon swapping between say Marohi and Disfavour (pretend Marohi is just as good) or 2 similar rare 2hers?

What I am wondering is if dual combat builds were originally intended to be in the game but the clear speed meta and everything before that kind of made that idea obsolete. As things are, dual combat types is absolutely pointless but I'm just kind of wondering what if here.

I don't think dual combat was ever really suppose to take off, yes you could have 2 different axes or two different bows, one could be more aoe focused, one single target, but that requires essentially twice the amount of weapons and links to do so. That sort of investment isn't necessary, nor has it ever really been.

About the only true use I can see for weapons swapping is unarmed builds switching shields

FeelsBadMan

Ah that makes sense. I didn't really think about an AOE vs Single Target bow and things like that.

The raider portrait makes me want a bow/duel wield daggers build to work. I'm sure I could pull it off but it would be horribly inefficient to the point where I would just do one.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
"
Ah that makes sense. I didn't really think about an AOE vs Single Target bow and things like that.

The raider portrait makes me want a bow/duel wield daggers build to work. I'm sure I could pull it off but it would be horribly inefficient to the point where I would just do one.

The issue with have weapon swap of completely different playstyle is some nodes you would want to invest into have 0 effect on the weapon swap ability.

If you scaled more generically like just generic crit with frenzy charges and generic phys damage that could work, but neither version would be optimal, I mean lets be honest here what does going into melee grant you in most circumstances anyway?

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:
"

The issue with have weapon swap of completely different playstyle is some nodes you would want to invest into have 0 effect on the weapon swap ability.

If you scaled more generically like just generic crit with frenzy charges and generic phys damage that could work, but neither version would be optimal, I mean lets be honest here what does going into melee grant you in most circumstances anyway?

Yeah that is kind of what I think of when I would think of trying to pull this off. As the game is now, this would never be optimal. I guess when I started I just expected the tree to evolve into something that allowed this in an expansion, give more build varieties.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
I've seen people use weapon swap to eke out as much as they can from their build if they are short on sockets (i.e. using BofR) or just want to get extra links and don't mind swapping.

I used to use it for CoH dual-curse in a 5-6l quill rain while my primary was dagger+shield.

I've seen flicker guys use weapon swap to a bow to generate frenzy charges for boss

You can also use it for power charges.

Facebreaker builds also weapon swap a lot - but it's just shield swapping since they have no weapon they can swap shields easily on the fly. Usually Saffell Frame is the secondary shield they carry to swap when high spell defense is in need.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jul 29, 2016, 3:50:45 PM
I have a current combat use of weapon switch:
My bow on my archer contains Blood Rage. If I have Blood Rage active and I'm not attacking for a moment, I weapon swap to quickly disable it. It's quite convenient.

Other than canceling things like that, or swapping to a cull weapon for MF (haven't really seen that in a WHILE, though), I don't see much use for weapon switch - it's usually just a place to stick 2 3S items for gem leveling to me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info