Dynamic Legendary items

A new type of item like a unique or rare that begins its life as a normal white item. In essence, it is an item that grows in power with the player... and the enemies destroyed determine what attributes it grants. The legendary item chronicles the story of the players adventure actualized into a useful and powerful piece of gear.

That white item has a new hidden property which dictates the 'potential' of the item, and it can be revealed by a new upgraded scroll of wisdom (which you can get from vendors by selling a transmute and a wisdom). Higher/lower 'potential' can be used as a balancing variable to tweak the maximum power of legendarys.

Navali can begin the process of crafting a legendary item for the price of a regal if you are at least level 75. After which that item becomes bound (unable to be sold, dropped, traded, or destroyed) to the character until a new item is bound. Once unbound, it can no longer be modified but becomes tradeable.

While wearing a bound legendary, there is a 1:1000 chance that upon killing an enemy, its soul becomes trapped in the item. Codewise, it simply keeps a hidden list of the monster_type and a counter of how many of those monsters have been trapped. The maximum number of souls which may be trapped in a single item is dependent on its 'potential', plus it gains 2 additional spots reserved only for bosses (unique enemies).

Navali offers a portal for 1 regal, which opens up a map-like ilvl 75 zone that contains all the souls so far collected. Killing these souls will result in normal xp and drops, but their soul will no longer be considered 'collected'. This allows players to customize their legendary with just the souls they desire, but at a price of a lot of micro-management/time/regals.

For each monster type we have a table entries which dictate precisely what benefit is gained per X number of souls of that type. For instance, devourers could grant 1 life per 1 soul captured. Necromancer souls on the other hand may grant 1% minion damage per 10 souls. Only the current top 3 prefixes and 3 suffixes (by number of souls) can be benefited from.

Diminishing returns can be implemented by specifying in the mob-to-affix table a value which when exceeded, results in additional souls requiring twice the number as the tier before. For instance; devourers may have this value set to 50. The first 50 devourers captured each result in 1 additional life. But it would require 52 souls, to get 51 life. After 100 souls, we now reach a new tier and require 4 souls per life. Thus 104 souls required for 76. At 150: we have a total of 87 life.

1 50 50
2 75 100
3 87 150
4 93 200
5 96 250
6 97 300
7 98 350

Boss souls operate differently though. They provide some unique like bonus, often with a tradeoff.

The most efficient and commonly farmed mobs could be given the worst affixes, promoting new strategies. Such as dried lake/ gorge/ strand mobs granting reflect/ light radius/ mana. While voll and master of the blade offer ridiculously poor trade-offs such as 'resistances are considered 0' and '10% more crit strike chance / 100% less crit multiplier'.

That perfect legendary might take 6 months to attain. So in the end it's a long-term goal with high time investment. Perfect for grinders whom dont feel that level 95+ isnt an adequate carrot to keep us on the hamster wheel.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last bumped on Aug 1, 2016, 10:34:34 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
becomes bound (unable to be sold, dropped, traded, or destroyed) to the character

Nope.

Also, this is so needlessly complicated... Also what is the general design idea/goal behind all this? I'm unsure what this thing would accomplish, and what problems it would solve, given how many problems it would CREATE.

Random ideas are fun, but then you must realize what you want to accomplish with additions like these.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Jul 29, 2016, 2:53:40 AM
"
Perq wrote:
"
becomes bound (unable to be sold, dropped, traded, or destroyed) to the character

Nope.

Is that where you stopped reading? Cause literally next thing mentioned is that it ceases to be bound when you start the next item. Being able to generate dozens of legends which have this large list of souls collected could be a real problem for GGG resources as well as impacting load times. Being limited to 1 at a time reduces this problem. And finalizing the process allows that list of souls to be deleted and replaced by simple affixes.

"
Perq wrote:

Also, this is so needlessly complicated...

From a players perspective you goto Navali, and create a legendary from a white item. As you kill shit with it equiped, it gains powers. If you dont like the powers, you can clear out the souls responsible. It is not that complicated. It offers the players two additional choices from an npc and a very specific currency with a simple recipe.

This is PoE, not diablo here. Complexity is what the community wants.

"
Perq wrote:

Also what is the general design idea/goal behind all this? I'm unsure what this thing would accomplish, and what problems it would solve, given how many problems it would CREATE.

Random ideas are fun, but then you must realize what you want to accomplish with additions like these.

It is a carrot, pure and simple. Something cool to work for. And if you dont think that is a worthy goal, i dont think you understand ARPGs at all.

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
I like that suggestion.

However, I feel that it would need either a new item slot ( I want to wear a cloak, give us legendary cloaks GGG :p ), or an orb to unbound ( and seal the item ) more than needing to bound another one instead.
And yes, only one legendary item per character.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
or an orb to unbound

Sounds good to me.
Sounds more fit for an MMORPG then an ARPG game.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
Sounds more fit for an MMORPG then an ARPG game.

Well PoE is technically a massive multiplier online role playing game.

But seriously, there is no "this fits arpg and this doesn't", why not in an arpg ? It goes perfectly with the grinding and the gear hunt that PoE is basically.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jul 29, 2016, 9:31:37 PM
GGG wants people to craft and find loot, not to find a single item that grows with them. That would both mitigate the need to seek out something new as well as present the issue of the player being conditioned to stick to that item if they've invested any time in to it, even if they do end up finding something better.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Jul 30, 2016, 9:56:58 PM
"
GGG wants people to craft and find loot, not to find a single item that grows with them. That would both mitigate the need to seek out something new as well as present the issue of the player being conditioned to stick to that item if they've invested any time in to it.

I got the impression that the OP suggestion wanted to find a full set of gear on Twilight Strand on character creation and never look for gear again.

I know it sounds nothing like the suggestion but that is the impression that it brings.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
"

I got the impression that the OP suggestion wanted to find a full set of gear on Twilight Strand on character creation and never look for gear again.

Perhaps you missed the part where you were required to be level 75 to begin making a legendary.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info