I will never be good at PoE

Great post and really helpful. Thanks.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
Coal48 wrote:
"
Some of the statements you make regarding your style or approach is very telling as to why you haven't tasted success.

Like, your reasoning for some of your logic is either biased, lacking in game knowledge, or flawed.

I'm gonna go with biased, for example I know crit is good, I just don't like my damage having rng,

same reason I don't invest in block chance with shields or evasion

Feels like all of the above really.

"I know crit is good" >>> Uh, that's great. Crit is good if you build properly around the mechanic and scale it. In your case to avoid RNG you decided to go the elemental route and a pile of Crit Multi. But elemental builds scale better with Attack Speed (more applications of flat elemental damage since you hit more often), and you decided your base weapon was going to be one of the slowest hammers in the game, at a whopping 0.62 APS. All because "crit is good." In your context, crit sucks. Lower Attacks Per Second, lower applications of flat elemental damage, while having to invest in Accuracy Nodes (top kek) to try to make the hits work, on a portion of the tree where you have to get accuracy nodes instead of having high base dexterity.

"I just don't like my damage having rng, I don't like how it feels gameplay wise" >>> So you like absolutes. Can respect that. To achieve the absolute of "I will always crit" because "crit is good" you put yourself in the hole I mentioned above. You know what also has no RNG for damage? Resolute Technique. Zero RNG. Hit all the time. Maybe not the choice for Templar, but you have other bodies on your account. The best part? No need to invest into things like Accuracy. Literally put on any weapon on and you always hit. Consistent damage. And if you upgrade to any shitty 1-3c Mace, you'll probably do more than a 0.62 APS Trypanon can with Crit.

"I don't invest in block chance with shields or evasion" >>> Welcome to POE. Laughable statement, but you play the game, you don't control the mechanics of the game. If you don't want to get used to layered defenses and surviving, this probably isn't the game for you.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
I have not seen what others have said... You're lost 1000%

Use Tabula Rasa with Abyssus is suicide if you do not have knowledge and good defenses... and a LOT of life. Your problem is your stubbornness and your lack of knowledge. If you say that you are playing since 2012 I think there is no much to do. Just because you want to avoid using immortal call when you use Abyssus is a sign that you should not be playing PoE...
Sorry for sincerity but maybe it's for your own good.

Or totally change your way to face this or better not waste anymore time.
Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
"
Coal48 wrote:

I had 4k health and 70% estimated physical resist, Fortify and endurance charges weren't active since I did not get the chance to hit or be hit prior to dying.

I don't know how people reach around 10k life or energy shield

4k life anything isn't a tank, it's a squishy character that is begging to get one shot.
To reach 10k life, you need Kaom's Heart and shit ton of life on tree (around 250% maybe?), plus life on every piece of gear except your weapon obviously. Take as many jewels as you can, life roll on every one. Take endurance charges as well. All the rest goes into damage. Btw, 10k life isn't really mandatory.

You can make a decent 2h character, you'll need a good weapon. For melee builds, 2h choice would be something like Atziri's Disfavor, Hegemony's Era if you want to go crit for whatever reason, or Marohi Erqi if you can't afford anything better. For bows, Reach of the Council if you can afford it, Voltaxic Rift if you can't.

ES builds are much better than life, but you also need better (more expensive) gear.
Last edited by toyotatundra on Jul 28, 2016, 1:15:59 AM
I've been saying since 2012 off and on (more off than on) and I really only made one good character as of yet. And when I say that, I mean it moderately good. (Varunastra earthquake gladiator. Very fun btw)

It's only got 4k life.

But what I've learned is you need to see what other people have done with whatever build you are wanting to make, ask for some help, and spend at least 1hour planning gear, skills and passive tree. 1 hour minimum. At least for me. And then Incorporate every fail into your next build. I have beat merciless dominus wayyyyy took many times to count each with a different failure. Guessing around, eh, 200 or more?
I also still use two emergency insta-life flasks. Bleh. Waste of a potion slot.

But, hey, I'm not (yet) a pro at PoE, but just a few things I picked up on.
Abyssus is basically required for the Tripanon build. Otherwise your dps will just be too low.

What this means is you can't really ditch Abyssus. So what you need to do instead is stack *lots* of armour, so you don't take much physical damage. Easiest way to do this is with a high armour chest, and that juggernaut passive that doubles chest armour.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
OK first of all if you find yourself having trouble surviving you need to ditch Tabula but more importantly Abyssus. Unique body armors have the best defensive mechanics out of any gear slot and you give up those benefits entirely with a Tabula. The problem with Abyssus is self explanatory I hope.

All of the crit multi uniques you chose complement Trypanon well, but none of them have life rolls. You can also squeeze in at least 90 more base life by switching to coral rings and a leather belt.

As far as your tree I have never found it worthwhile to invest in %armor nodes. I would try to get more life in place of some of the uniques you use now, lose a lot of those % armor nodes you took on the tree and invest in %damage nodes instead. That % damage should compensate for some of the crit multi you will lose and I think more base life on gear will keep you safer than stacking armor so high.

I did ditch Abyssus

As for ditching tabula, at some point during Perandus I did for something like this, I don't remember exactly what armor it was but the goal was high armor and life:

it did not work too well since I had no armor nodes in my passive tree but as you previously said, 4k life is not a lot and I probably didn't even have that in Perandus

those rings were bought, of course I would have chosen coral rings if I could but rng being what it is I really couldn't (and still can't) get better, they have life, accuracy and all resist, it won't get better than this

if I ditch facebreaker and marylene's fallacy, I'll have no damage left, I tried to compensate tabula rasa with grace to get the armor I don't have, but obviously it's not enough, yet if I ditch tabula as well, I'll also be way too weak offensively

To everyone, what's the best life to armor ratio? How much health and armour should I get in the passive tree?

"
1453R wrote:
Good defenses in Path of Exile are almost always layered defenses.

High life is good, but by itself it ablates away like paper in a bonfire.

High armor is good, but without enough life to back it up the reduced damage enemies deal is still enough to quickly eat through your limited health.

Defensive curses, Dodge, Block, all of them are the same way - if they're the only defense you bank on, then when you hit something that bypasses that defense, or hit a dense enough concentration of stuff, you end up wrecked.

As one example: my league-start Vortex Elementalist has roughly 4.7k life (with a 700-point or so incidental ES count) at level 84 (I don’t have any idea how so many people so easily break 7k, 8k life either, but north of 4k is relatively straightforward), but her life is protected by both Mind over Matter and a Cloak of Flame redirecting incoming damage to her mana pool (essentially 30% increased life) and redirecting physical damage to her Fire resist (and the Elementalist’s 8% Paragon of Calamity reduction) rather than her nonexistent armor/phys mitigation.

She (and every other character I run these days bar none) uses a Stibnite flask; the blinding cloud from a Stibnite flask reduces enemies’ accuracy to 50% or less even on characters with zero evasion, which is huge. Most players would also use a Basalt flask on top of that, which is another flat 20% physical mitigation, and the pro guys with money would use a Taste of Hate to redirect another 20% of physical damage to a beefed-up Cold resistance. That Witchementalist also uses Curse on Hit with her Orb of Storms, with one of her curses being Enfeeble. Enfeeble reduces enemy accuracy and damage both, augmenting the Stibnite flask, stretching out her somewhat paltry 4.7k HP more, and reducing the damage burden on all of her other defensive layers.

Plus, most everything within eyesight of Trogdora is cursed, blinded, Conflux’d, Chilled, and dead before they get much of a chance to swing. DPS is its own defense – instagibbing packs before they can do much more than spawn means they get less chance to hammer you. And against enemies like Izaro, simply not being there is a valid defense. Most of Izaro’s attacks have monster wind-ups to go with their monster damage – if you have a fast movement skill or simply quick feeties or a Quicksilver flask, you can get out of the way and not take the hit at all. This method of not-taking-the-hit is often considered the best way to deal with Izaro – very few people just stand there and facetank him, it takes one mother of an expensive build to do that.

Even with all of that, Trogdora would be considered a pretty squishy build by some. No Fortify, no Endurance charges, not much ES. The principle, however, remains the same – building half a dozen moderate defenses into your build is a much stronger approach than banking on one really hefty defense, all defenses are magnified by getting more life, and having exceptionally crappy damage compromises your defenses by giving enemies more time to pound their way through them.

Try BlasFeeble with a Stibnite flask in your armored builds. If you can get a quality Experimenter’s Stibnite of Craving, that’d be nearly eight seconds of 0.4% mana leech on your defensive blindy flask you can drop on every fight, which would also help solve your mana issues and get you away from using Blood Magic, which is something you should only really be doing with 5k or more life totals. Probably 6k or more, if you’re running your whole build off of Blood Magic. Ideally your leech would be on your gear/tree, a’course, but getting it on a long-duration flask is a decent enough quick patch.

After that? Well, learn and experiment. I went through over a dozen junk characters before I got to what most of the yakkalopes around here would call ‘moderately okay’. Every new character you build learns from the last – ideally, every new character you run should be Your Best One Yet.

PoE is just that kind of game, really.

I really try to balance life and armor, I just don't know how much of each I should have

The Perandus version of my Trypanon Inquisitor used : Granite (armor) + Basalt (physical resist) + Jade (evasion) + Stibnite (Smoke) + Life

The idea was to rely on flasks for not getting any defences in the passive tree and as I said, the build didn't fare well, probably because I didn't have enough life despite investing heavily in it (200% goal)

The newer version which uses iron reflexes, replaces the granite with a sulphur one because actual armor is not scaled, It still uses a Stibnite but the smoke cloud portion of it is useless because it can't evade

I do use enfeeble in all my builds but it gets activated via a curse on hit spell, itself activated with cast when damage taken

Trogdora? can't find any info on what that is

I don't have problems with mobs, only bosses, I know that manually dodging is the best way, I wasn't trying to tank Izaro but it requires quick reflexes/skill to dodge and even with 30% movespeed boots I couldn't do it because I suck and the build is melee

With all the builds that I ever made, mobs were never a problem (except when I tried poorjoys asylum with the trypanon inquisitor), it's always bosses that kill me before I have time to react

I don't have problems with 6-link skill costs, life regen + leech make it non factor and my builds usually have around 3k life

often when I make a new build, it's because I think I have something better but I also just want to try different playstyles sometimes, the Trypanon Inquisitor is definitively not my best, I just wanted to always freeze/shatter + shock + burn enemies

My "best" build is a ethereal knives one, and I still have the same problem I always had, bosses kick my ass, I ragequit it after "the wicked one" (pseudo Piety) almost instantly killed me with her lightning storm, I didn't have unwavering stance so I got stun locked. I ragequit another version of my EK build (a chaos inoculation one) when I met "shock and horror" and couldn't escape the beam of death. Regardless of what build I make, I can't kill Merciless Malachai without dying over and over again
"
Feels like all of the above really.

"I know crit is good" >>> Uh, that's great. Crit is good if you build properly around the mechanic and scale it. In your case to avoid RNG you decided to go the elemental route and a pile of Crit Multi. But elemental builds scale better with Attack Speed (more applications of flat elemental damage since you hit more often), and you decided your base weapon was going to be one of the slowest hammers in the game, at a whopping 0.62 APS. All because "crit is good." In your context, crit sucks. Lower Attacks Per Second, lower applications of flat elemental damage, while having to invest in Accuracy Nodes (top kek) to try to make the hits work, on a portion of the tree where you have to get accuracy nodes instead of having high base dexterity.

"I just don't like my damage having rng, I don't like how it feels gameplay wise" >>> So you like absolutes. Can respect that. To achieve the absolute of "I will always crit" because "crit is good" you put yourself in the hole I mentioned above. You know what also has no RNG for damage? Resolute Technique. Zero RNG. Hit all the time. Maybe not the choice for Templar, but you have other bodies on your account. The best part? No need to invest into things like Accuracy. Literally put on any weapon on and you always hit. Consistent damage. And if you upgrade to any shitty 1-3c Mace, you'll probably do more than a 0.62 APS Trypanon can with Crit.

"I don't invest in block chance with shields or evasion" >>> Welcome to POE. Laughable statement, but you play the game, you don't control the mechanics of the game. If you don't want to get used to layered defenses and surviving, this probably isn't the game for you.

I didn't make a Trypanon build because I though it would be OP, I knew the build wasn't going to be that good, I just wanted the 100% crit chance to always freeze/shatter + shock + burn enemies. I also went the elemental route simply because Trypanon is very weak and so it needs added flat damage, physical flat damage is very small and rare to get, while with elemental damage there's gems and auras as well as heralds

You don't need to tell me about resolute technique, it's pretty much the only thing I use if I make a attack build

well, you can't get block chance without a shield or dual wielding (except for staves), if you want to be stun immune or use evasion as armor, you can't dodge

For countless reasons PoE is absolutely not for me but it's a long and stupid story why I'm "stuck" playing it, and I'm so bored right now, it's the only thing I slightly want to play

But I do genuinely want to be able to survive, tell me how and I'll try to do it (if it's not too hard to control)
"
Actkqk wrote:
I have not seen what others have said... You're lost 1000%

Use Tabula Rasa with Abyssus is suicide if you do not have knowledge and good defenses... and a LOT of life. Your problem is your stubbornness and your lack of knowledge. If you say that you are playing since 2012 I think there is no much to do. Just because you want to avoid using immortal call when you use Abyssus is a sign that you should not be playing PoE...
Sorry for sincerity but maybe it's for your own good.

Or totally change your way to face this or better not waste anymore time.

yeah I know, I don't take it badly, I appreciate everyone commenting, I'm just trying to "get my shit together" with this game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info