How to gear for end-game

I'm level 61 now, and am starting to think about gearing myself up for end-game stuff. Thus far I've just been using items that I've found myself, and most of them are really not very good. They don't have any "focus" either - it's just a hodgepodge of stats. My big problem is: I have no idea how to trade with other people!

Other than just going to town and spamming chat, or mindlessly sifting through thousands of threads on this forum in the hopes of finding what I'm looking for, is there a way to easily see what other players are selling? Once I do find something that I want, is there a good way to estimate how much it costs, so that I don't get totally ripped off as a noob? I think that some sort of gem conversion chart would be really helpful, since for all I know an orb of alteration is worth the same as a blessed orb or an orb of transmutation.

Any other advice? I appreciate the input! The build I am using says that I should be able to completely gear myself with one exalt, but I looked up the cost of just one of the items the build recommends (Lightning Coil), and it was selling for 10 exalts.

Last bumped on Jul 23, 2016, 5:11:29 PM
See poe.xyz.is
MY CHALLENGES ARE DONE ON HC, IT'S NOT SC GUYS!
Most build authors exaggerate so you can use their build over others'. In this league though, you can buy the cheapest Lightning Coil you can find(with good life, ideally) and use the "The Jeweler's Touch" prophecy(costs 20 chaos) to get a 5 link Lightning Coil. By the way in case you do this, you have to switch area after you "equip" the prophecy in order for it to work and you have to use a Jeweler's orb(not Vorici's crafting table).

poe.trade is a website that lists what people sell.
Advice: Don't buy things that cost more than 1 chaos until you get an idea of the value of things.
Advice 2 not everything that people list as 1 chaos is worth it(for some people, things aren't worth selling unless it's for at least a chaos).

currency.poe.trade is a place to get an idea of the value of currency.
Unfortunately, it's much cheaper to sell currency than it is to buy it, so you'll need to have at least one pay2win tab in order to make the most of it(for example, it's cheaper to sell fusings for chaos than it is to buy chaos from someone with your fusings).
Also, beware of trolls that sell currency for noticeably less than other sellers, they want others to price theirs down too and don't actually intend to sell it.
"
mglwd40 wrote:
I'm level 61 now, and am starting to think about gearing myself up for end-game stuff. Thus far I've just been using items that I've found myself, and most of them are really not very good. They don't have any "focus" either - it's just a hodgepodge of stats. My big problem is: I have no idea how to trade with other people!

You just do it. There's nothing special.

You message someone who you think has something you want. You ask them if they have it. They say yes, then you begin trading. This is how most trading takes place.

If they say no or that it is already sold, they want you to offer more than it might be worth or than the listed price. I generally just stop talking to these people.

"
mglwd40 wrote:
Other than just going to town and spamming chat, or mindlessly sifting through thousands of threads on this forum in the hopes of finding what I'm looking for, is there a way to easily see what other players are selling?

You're going to be doing work regardless of what it is.

If you don't, you'll end up paying 10 chaos for an item that is weaker than an item you could've paid 8 chaos for.

Be prepared to work either by trading or by playing self-found. Your choice.

"
mglwd40 wrote:
Once I do find something that I want, is there a good way to estimate how much it costs, so that I don't get totally ripped off as a noob?

You learn the value of currency and modifiers. Something with life and tri-res with good rolls will cost a lot. But higher sockets and links cost even more.

"
mglwd40 wrote:
I think that some sort of gem conversion chart would be really helpful, since for all I know an orb of alteration is worth the same as a blessed orb or an orb of transmutation.

An alt is not worth a blessed orb. Blessed orbs are worth far, far more than an alt.

The basic trading currencies are:

1. Exalts. You have these, you have money. Anyone will accept an exchange.

2. Chaos. Similar to exalts, but like single dollar bills compared to hundreds.

3. Fuses and jewelers. These are the third most common and almost anyone will trade with them.

4. Alts, wisdoms, and portal scrolls. These are the ones that come next. Alts are burned on maps and flasks. Wisdoms and ports are burned by people who are mapping. People who are mapping focus on picking up only rares and uniques, so they need wisdoms. They would rather trade chaos for scrolls to save time rather than pick up pennies as they play.

Those are the currencies you should focus on. Try to get two of these rings:

Those are legacy, so they have higher values. But you can still farm wisdoms fairly well in certain areas, like the first area of Act 2, the Dried Lake of act 4, and more. Areas with tons of weak enemies.

Also, there are no "pay2win" tabs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info