Ideal society

Im reminded daily just how poor our society truly is... little more than warring tribes of animals really.

And its sad because i can imagine such a better one. One that:

Cares about the truth.
Seeks to be unbiased.
Tries to understand each other.
Considers the impact actions have on others.
Remains calm rather than escalating conflict.
Strives to improve technology and understanding of the universe.
Attempts to automate as much of human labor as possible.
Places no expectations on others whom arent negatively impacting society.
Makes effort to benefit everyone.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last bumped on Aug 3, 2016, 4:05:55 PM
Seek therapy
Oblivious
I actually blame all technology. We're too much like gods and we can't handle the responsibility. I often wonder what it would be like if we never evolved the ability to use more than the most basic tools. No agriculture or even fire. Nothing more than chimps. There'd be no killing off countless species or wrecking the planet's environment.

So to me our ideal society is one in which we are all still wild animals.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:

So to me our ideal society is one in which we are all still wild animals.

Wish granted. Since that's the society we live in currently.

in the past
two men spot a deer, both have a tribe filled with hungry people they duke it out with rock-wood-fist (old variant of rock paper scissors?)
One get's to feed his tribe.

present day
two men go to a job interview, both have a family that depends on them, they duke it out with a flurry of impressive words.
One get's to maintain his social status and prospers.
One get's a mental beating.

There is extremely little difference if you strip away all of the bling current society tosses in front of your eyes. In the end it's a simple game of domination vs submission.

Though we don't kill the people we dominate, we do attempt to crush them emotionally or at least benefit from them in a tool-like fashion.

I am aware that's a pretty black vs white way of putting it though.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : fucked up my spoilers
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Jul 22, 2016, 12:19:07 AM
"
Boem wrote:

Peace,

-Boem-

Have you ever read Michel Foucault?

@OP as a starting point I'd quibble with 'try to be unbiased' I'm not sure that's a thing we can do given the way our brains work. Awareness of our biases is probably the best anyone can do.
"
innervation wrote:

Have you ever read Michel Foucault?

No i have not. But google reveals he was somebody i could have had a good utterly pointless chat with.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
A society consists of individuals. Individuals are the cause and society is the effect. This is the first and most important thing to consider regarding the structure of society.

An ideal society would consist of ideal people. It wouldn't and couldn't be one where society covers for the imperfections in our individual natures, because that ignores cause and effect. Instead, an ideal society helps create ideal individuals, not covering for individual faults but ensuring the elimination of such faults.

Thus, it is impossible to conceive of the ideal society without first fleshing out the concept of the ideal individual. If there were but two human beings alive, one man and one woman, pitted against seemingly insurmountable challenges with the fate of the species on their shoulders, and they were to be ideal, what would they be like?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 22, 2016, 11:04:53 PM
seeking ideals is dangerous leading to zealots doing gods work and purging. Ideally though I'd like every man or woman to be free to pursue anything as long as they dont harm anyone. No taxes first off (which is modern slavery) would be a good start legalization of all victim less crimes like drugs, prostitution, and so on.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity -yeats
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 23, 2016, 12:30:15 AM
The Amish have it nailed.

Lots of wives and lots of kids to do the work.

Probably not ideal if your not the alpha male.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
seeking ideals is dangerous leading to zealots doing gods work and purging. Ideally though I'd like every man or woman to be free to pursue anything as long as they dont harm anyone. No taxes first off (which is modern slavery) would be a good start legalization of all victim less crimes like drugs, prostitution, and so on.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity -yeats

When you say "as long as they dont harm anyone", you're already picking values: the value of the human life. But why would that be more important than other things, like the life of another animal or the shape of a rock?

Taxes are the society's way of balancing luck: you get lucky, you help others, you get unlucky, others help you.

As for drugs, they do harm human life, for the person taking them and sometimes for others too, which kinda goes against the previous point.

The ideal society for me would be moneyless, where robots automate boring tasks and people do whatever they like doing out of goodwill.
http://slysherz.blogspot.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info