Which past ARPG would have benefitted from GGGs approach?

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Your question is so lacking in foundation that it is essentially just an invitation to spout whatever nonsense you want about the game (see next post). That's why you can't ask questions like this in a court. Your term "GGG's approach" is meaningless. Are you talking about their monetization? Are you talking about their patching? Are you talking about their community involvement? Bah... to vague. Ask your question again.

Asking about what past games could have done is really pointless. They didn't have the technology. They didn't have the tools. Most importantly, they didn't have players who were willing to toss money into a bottomless pit. That's a new thing. Back in the 80s and 90s, if a game was made and said "pay us what ever you feel like!", it would have crashed and burned while everyone laughed at it.

You omitted Borderlands from your list... if you haven't given it a try, please do. Great hybrid of ARPG and FPS.

I think the question and it's explanation are sufficient. the monetization is key to having the funds to pay everyone to keep working on it year after year. But the financial aspects are far less interesting than the results. the approach is continual development of the same game, like is done with MMORPGS.

IS that still too vague?

And yes it is pointless to speculate. But I find it interesting to share my thoughts and read those of other people. I wasn't expecting so many bitter burn outs to troll this thread with their negative attitudes (not you).

I'm not sure why you say they didn't have the technology? As long as games have been played and patched online they have. I think players have always been willing to reward developers montarily for new quality content. But the old paradigm of release base game, then years later release expansion, or two, that old model looks like it is being replaced by GGGs model. Instead of waiting a year or two or three for updates we get them every month. New content all the time.

Do you think any of the games I mentioned or the ones you were into back in the day would have become an amazing phenomenon with this kind of developer investment? In what ways?
"When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
I think some of the games mentioned (sacred 2, d2, and some others like torchlight 1&2) would have benefited from a deeper and more complex, meaningful character customization like the one PoE has, first, and then we could talk about continued development and expansion.

D2 had a lot more reason to group up. In PoE there really isn't any to be honest unless you're gimped.
D2 also felt more immersive because you didn't need to load a new area and see a loading screen.
D2 actually had dynamic weather system, better colors.

God, D2 is just far superior in almost every aspect I can think of and the game is nearing 2 decades old.

I'm just waiting for the next ARPG to come out and it is going to be forever. There is Umbra, Lineage 2, Lost Ark
Dynamic Environment - Day/Night, Rain/Lightning - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/110100

GGG's design philosophy in three words:
Quantity over Quality.
"
laycast wrote:
D2 had a lot more reason to group up. In PoE there really isn't any to be honest unless you're gimped.
D2 also felt more immersive because you didn't need to load a new area and see a loading screen.

God, D2 is just far superior in almost every aspect I can think of and the game is nearing 2 decades old.

I'm just waiting for the next ARPG to come out and it is going to be forever. There is Umbra, Lineage 2, Lost Ark

I agree with you. It still stands on it's own and as the inspiration, in whole or in part for POE. It's funny when you compliment D2 there's always somebody who comes out of the woodwork and says you have rose colored glasses or nostalgia is taking over. No, it's just a f***ing awesome game.

Skill system could use more depth, although I liked synergies. And it's too bad they backed off the stash expansion idea, and never had a shared stash. Their fauilure in that regard led to all modern ARPGs having bigger, shared stashes.

Those 6 party member groups were fun!
I completely agree. Although I suppose there is something to be said for quicker, simpler games. Easier to figure out but still satisfying.
"
mjkittredge wrote:
"
laycast wrote:

I agree with you. It still stands on it's own and as the inspiration, in whole or in part for POE. It's funny when you compliment D2 there's always somebody who comes out of the woodwork and says you have rose colored glasses or nostalgia is taking over. No, it's just a f***ing awesome game.

Skill system could use more depth, although I liked synergies. And it's too bad they backed off the stash expansion idea, and never had a shared stash. Their fauilure in that regard led to all modern ARPGs having bigger, shared stashes.

Those 6 party member groups were fun!

8ppl. Sometimes if people here talking 'bout d2 I think they never really played it.

Maybe too long ago, no offense ;)
"better to simply go balls deep full retard if you gonna go retard." -Boem-

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info