Which past ARPG would have benefitted from GGGs approach?

Having all this new content several times a year, year after year... I don't think I've seen this approach with any other game before short of MMOs.

Think of the ARPGs of the past that got you into this Genre. Zelda. Faery Tale Adventure. Diablo series. Sacred series. Fate. Titan Quest. Torchlight. Hellgate London. To name a few.

After the games were released - that was it, mostly. It was what it was. We didn't get years of continual development and new content. We might get the odd expansion or patch or two. It wasn't until Diablo 2 that we started seeing long term improvement and addition to an already existing game. Even that petered out gradually after a couple years past release of the expansion. It was piddly compared to what GGG is doing. Which is great, gives game companies a model of how they can do things going forward.

But at the same time I'm kind of sad. I get nostalgic for past games - they each had a unique feel to them. For instance, I loved the open world exploration of Sacred and Sacred 2 that is so freaking rare in the ARPG genre. But when I play them again - I realize how spoiled I've become with all the new features of modern ARPGs and the old ones feel so clunky and outdated, from inflexible skills that don't work very well, to monsters that are boring with poor AI, to lackluster item mods, to poor balance. What once was joy, when I first got into those games years ago, is now sadness. They've aged poorly. All the potential they had that never got realized. With some tweaks they could still become amazing and if I had the mod developer skills I would go to town on them. But even beyond that, can you imagine leagues or race seasons or monthly content updates for those old games and what they would have become? Wow.

Now we see this game, Path of Exile, growing and changing and evolving so frequently since I first played open beta in... 2011 was it?

***SO, like the question in the thread tile, which ARPG you used to love way back when would have benefitted the most from GGGs method of years of development & polish past release and new content?
"When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
Last bumped on Jul 20, 2016, 2:08:22 PM
The approach of "Fuck casuals, sell supporter packs, and reset the game every 3 months to obfuscate our complete lack of a goal"?

None. Absolutely none.
This is a buff™
Last edited by AkuTenshiiZero on Jul 18, 2016, 8:39:44 AM
Your question is so lacking in foundation that it is essentially just an invitation to spout whatever nonsense you want about the game (see next post). That's why you can't ask questions like this in a court. Your term "GGG's approach" is meaningless. Are you talking about their monetization? Are you talking about their patching? Are you talking about their community involvement? Bah... to vague. Ask your question again.

Asking about what past games could have done is really pointless. They didn't have the technology. They didn't have the tools. Most importantly, they didn't have players who were willing to toss money into a bottomless pit. That's a new thing. Back in the 80s and 90s, if a game was made and said "pay us what ever you feel like!", it would have crashed and burned while everyone laughed at it.

You omitted Borderlands from your list... if you haven't given it a try, please do. Great hybrid of ARPG and FPS.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Jul 18, 2016, 9:38:57 AM
"
Which past ARPG would have benefitted from GGGs approach?

Which approach you mean? the one that imply creating an awesome game with insane costumer interaction and then scrap it with shit content that lacks imagination and finition. When customer say that game is not the quality it used to be, simply say that this feeling is shared by a small part of the community, that the major part of the players like it, despite having surveys showing the opposite and online players reaching new lows.

benefitted from GGGs approach? NONE, it doesnt even benefit to GGG
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Most importantly, they didn't have players who were willing to toss money into a bottomless pit. That's a new thing. Back in the 80s and 90s, if a game was made and said "pay us what ever you feel like!", it would have crashed and burned while everyone laughed at it.

Have you never heard of shareware ?
It would be nice if graphics were updated for Diablo 2 man that game was so good GGG taking on that game would be awesome.
"
markww wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Most importantly, they didn't have players who were willing to toss money into a bottomless pit. That's a new thing. Back in the 80s and 90s, if a game was made and said "pay us what ever you feel like!", it would have crashed and burned while everyone laughed at it.

IIRC sharewares were more about "you can demo the game then if you want to play the whole thing you have to pay a little something". At least all the sharewares I played back then used that model. Here you have access to the full game for free.
IGN : @Morgoth
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
"
markww wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

IIRC sharewares were more about "you can demo the game then if you want to play the whole thing you have to pay a little something". At least all the sharewares I played back then used that model. Here you have access to the full game for free.

there were many different models. Quite a lot were donation/trust based, some basically gave reminders and some were supported by ads. Basically F2P games are just a refinement of the shareware system enabled by the massive change in the internet structure.
Sacred.
"The Eye of Ra appears against you,
His force is powerful against you.
She devours you, she punishes you
In this her name 'Devouring Flame."
-Anubis Hotep
Not to change the subject, but I think a better question is "How can GGG benefit from the approaches (and mistakes of) past ARPGs?"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info