I question if I'm just growing out of the whole ARPG thing.

I think a lot of people are in this boat right now. I've been in luck in that I recently got into the wticher series. Finished the first game, now on the 2nd one. So I am occupied with another game atm.

That being said, I still log on here and there to push a little further on my character this league. But it has been hard to push this char to its limit. I believe that since GGG hasn't implemented these past leagues into the core game, it hasn't changed very much. It's like that work on something.. release it.. then take it away. Prophecy in my opinion has been a complete bust. Again another league that has so much potential but wastes it on nonsense.

This game needs a serious jumpstart. Although I'm not confident in GGGs ability to do this. They have good ideas but they need to spend more time working these leagues out. They are all half finished products that just get thrown into the dumpster.
"
Crackmonster wrote:
Playing a game all your life robs your power of creation really, you are a slave to what someone else created for you.

Yeah...You wouldn't be saying that if you had played CoH. Creativity was THE driving force for most players I knew. Every character was unique, thanks in no small part to the single best aesthetic character creation tools ever designed, and no build was objectively bad. Everyone, bar none, was capable of slugging it out in what was the most epic and rewarding endgame I've ever seen. It wasn't easy, mind you, but the game came with the promise that every build had a trick you could use to your advantage. Taking down high-profile NPCs felt incredible, due to how much you heard about them over your career and the sheer buildup to the encounters. If ever you want a lesson in how to make the player feel like a total badass, look no further than CoH.

Cut to games like PoE, where you aren't allowed to customize your character without spending money, and even then it's not really your avatar. Build diversity is theoretically limitless, but constrained to a list of rules that you need to follow or your build will fail.
This is a buff™
"
"
Crackmonster wrote:
Playing a game all your life robs your power of creation really, you are a slave to what someone else created for you.

Yeah...You wouldn't be saying that if you had played CoH. Creativity was THE driving force for most players I knew. Every character was unique, thanks in no small part to the single best aesthetic character creation tools ever designed, and no build was objectively bad. Everyone, bar none, was capable of slugging it out in what was the most epic and rewarding endgame I've ever seen. It wasn't easy, mind you, but the game came with the promise that every build had a trick you could use to your advantage. Taking down high-profile NPCs felt incredible, due to how much you heard about them over your career and the sheer buildup to the encounters. If ever you want a lesson in how to make the player feel like a total badass, look no further than CoH.

Cut to games like PoE, where you aren't allowed to customize your character without spending money, and even then it's not really your avatar. Build diversity is theoretically limitless, but constrained to a list of rules that you need to follow or your build will fail.

As a matter of fact i would - it is a logical deduction, something i came across as i searched to understand where i came from. It is a very literal statement. Sure you can create new things, original ideas and mixes, but at the end of the day the choices you have are what someone came up with and programmed for you(outside bugs) - compare that to the power of pure imagination and you will see how limited you are if your whole life is about waiting for a new better game to come along and/or waiting for devs to fix things. If you want to take power back for yourself you must realize.. that is no way to live a life, you must create something that is you, your path. It could be for example just being the best gamer/streamer, whatever, but some purpose in what you are doing, a purpose that is greater than just waiting all your life for a good game(so the game can entertain you), or waiting years for patches. WoW taught me.. never put your life on hold for a game, and especially don't be afraid to do something else if devs are retarded. If you decide your life is in gaming, good for you, you may just have solved both things in your own way.. but the truth is for most people what really matters to them is not gaming. Even many that think so, don't know better simply and don't know themselves, once they learn better and try other things in life most will awaken.. through experiences we find out who we are.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
I'll tell you some of my childhood which involves me just studying all day in conjunction to mf'ing like a very very long time of combination of the two in terms of Diablo II and school shit / family work shit.

Whether it be pindle runs and eventually the whole classic Baal run for hours and hours. Quite basic of some of my child hood now fastfoward to the days of PoE where I'm grown up doing family business shit while servants ask ''Why did you spend so much money at a game where you don't even play it anymore'' I simply ask myself yeah I dunno why either within every single league that I do I get the best gear / finish all challenges then fade away for awhile. Is it because the gameplay is shit? The hunt is shit or mf'ing?

Probably not I don't even MF much and if I do I usually just get a bunch of dick while in conjunction to most of my profit comes from the trading. Is that why I'm bored? Just trading all day to become a god every single league? Or am I growing out of it? I even question myself I'll be making 1-2 more div cards + 2 uniques and say boy am I really going to be playing this much longer?

tldr I'm trying to find out why I don't play as much as I use to in my childhood even when I finished everything in D2 I still continued to play while I fade eventually in PoE every ''season'' league.

I think the real question is how did you manage to stomach so much grinding without getting burned out earlier :)

You're in a rut. Try something different. Years upon years of repetitive behaviour is bad for your mental health if it isn't an activity which has real benefits and gives you a sense of meaning and accomplishment.

It can sometimes be beneficial if you can't deal with some unpleasant shit in real life and you just need to escape reality for a while but at some point it turns into a vicious circle which has to be broken.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jul 19, 2016, 4:18:34 AM
I really wanna play PoE :( but there's nothing else /sad face like I got a gold weapon in overwatch now :O now OW is terrible.

WTB Time travel for new season.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
What you want to do is find a time-consuming and repetitive activity which helps you enter a state of light trance and not think about anything else or most likely anything at all, i.e. escape reality.

Which is OK if you have something else in your life, this escape from reality doesn't consume most of your time and it's just how you unwind and recuperate. If gaming is the only activity you enjoy and you feel lost or depressed when you can't find anything interesting to play, this means games aren't your well-deserved time of rest, they are your escape from a reality which, for some reason, sucks. Instead of confronting the suckiness and trying to find solutions, you're avoiding the problem. It won't go away, it will only get worse the more you ignore it.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jul 19, 2016, 7:14:10 AM
I'm nowhere near amount of time and money spent as OP but I still clocked over 2000 hours in PoE combined accross stand-alone and Steam client. That is multiple times more than any other game in my gaming history that span over 20 years.

Truth is I always played PoE, and most other games, solo and self-found. There is frustration but also satisfaction in this style of gaming. I also take long breaks between period of playing the game.

I still think that a game in this day and age that can provide to its players multiple thousands of hours of gameplay is simply amazing. It was very different when Diablo I or II was the shit since there was a lot less competition and choices. Amount of time one can spend in PoE rivals that of MMOs, which is again amazing for ARPG.

At the end, everything should be used in moderation and this is not different for games. Maybe it is time to move on and do other things than play PoE, all the more so if playing it no longer provides joy and satisfaction to you.
"
Xavderion wrote:
I grew out of MMOs. I'd rather kill myself than show up to raid four times a week for four hours straight. I guess the same thing can happen with ARPGs...

If you're raiding four times a week, you should just shoot your computer now. Of course you won't like it, because at that point it's a freakin' job. You didn't grow out of anything, you just made a poor decision in how you play MMOs.

"
G7Ghost wrote:
I grew .. kind of out of MMOs?

You don't grow out of MMOs, you decide that it's not fun for you anymore and move on. In my MMO days I've played with retired gamers in their 60s (this was in LOTRO). And in other MMOs, like GW2 and all the way back to UO (Ultima Online), I've played with many in their 50s. Again, it's all how you play the game. Kids will just go in there to grind, max levels, raid, and think that's what MMOs are all about. You're missing a lot along the way.

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Not as bad as watching idiot box TV a totally passive exercise.

You can be creative here. Make builds, trade tycoon and stuff.

Exactly. You can make your PoE experience into anything you like. So sick of the western culture pushing couch potato TV watching as an acceptable past time, but condemning gaming as "for kids only". This is why people get Alzheimer's in this day and age: they're not really stimulating their thought process enough, they just veg in front of the TV.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"

You should have seen the glory days of Star Wars Galaxies, before SOE ruined it and it shut down

that was some of the best roleplaying I've ever had in an MMO

"
cipher_nemo wrote:

"
G7Ghost wrote:
I grew .. kind of out of MMOs?

You don't grow out of MMOs, you decide that it's not fun for you anymore and move on. In my MMO days I've played with retired gamers in their 60s (this was in LOTRO). And in other MMOs, like GW2 and all the way back to UO (Ultima Online), I've played with many in their 50s. Again, it's all how you play the game. Kids will just go in there to grind, max levels, raid, and think that's what MMOs are all about. You're missing a lot along the way.

Aye, but I've played WoW and EVE since their betas, so I did too much over too long, I think D:
Last edited by G7Ghost on Jul 19, 2016, 8:12:49 AM
"

tldr I'm trying to find out why I don't play as much as I use to in my childhood even when I finished everything in D2 I still continued to play while I fade eventually in PoE every ''season'' league.

/dinosaur.

Path of Exile changed much for the past two years, game is still too hard for casuals but already too easy for tryhards. I keep telling myself that i am just taking a break from poe but it feels exactly like when you move to another town while your girlfriend stays in the old one; you still keep talking on the phone and shit but you know that its already over.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info