Please fix pathing in the lab and trials

I clicked on the lever in the picture. I expected to walk over to the lever and hit it, but no. Right before I clicked, the spikes popped up and blocked my path. Instead, my character ran out the door, into a bleeding pulse trap, and on top of a buzzsaw.

The lever is inside the room. I ran outside the room. There is nothing that should ever make pathing this terrible kick in. It's not like my character found an alternate route or anything. It's like she couldn't get to the lever and said "Woe is me, I can't hit the lever, I'll commit suicide via traps now."

Please fix this. Pathing has been terrible forever, but the lab makes it so much worse and more noticeable. I have had this bad pathing force me onto so damn many traps now and it has become incredibly tiresome and frustrating.
Last bumped on Dec 21, 2017, 12:58:32 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
The same thing just happened to me again with that trial layout. I tested it many times and it's 100% repeatable. If you click on the lever while the spikes are up in the room, you will run out of the room and straight into the buzzsaws every single time. I have no idea what's screwing up the pathing so horribly in this instance, but there is clearly a problem here.
The only feedback you'll ever get is that you're in a vocal minority, and that is it. Enjoy.
"
Siochan wrote:
The only feedback you'll ever get is that you're in a vocal minority, and that is it. Enjoy.

Nop, this guys has a more than valid complaint, and I'm ready to bet that it has either been fixed, or is on the todo list.
Because that is a bug, and it needs to be fixed.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jul 26, 2016, 9:14:25 AM
When people complained that frogger was blocking their path to proper character development, that's the only response they got.
"
Siochan wrote:
When people complained that frogger was blocking their path to proper character development, that's the only response they got.

Improper pathing in lab\trials is not the same thing as people complaining about traps because they are traps. Stop trying to derail the thread.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Aside from bugs (i can't see the picture that the OP posted but i trust the other posts that says that it is a bug), i think the Burning trial should be changed: you have to run into tiny tiny doors while the ground is not on fire, and sometimes you can't see them very well... not to mention that most of the time they are blocked by iron vergin or a stupid skeleton soldier that you cant see very well. I think it needs to be changed a bit to make the path more clear before starting to move on the ground.
1.5 years later this is still happening. Pathing in POE is still dump.

Here's me standing in front of a lever. Spikes come up and block the path every few seconds.

Here's where I run if I click the lever while the spikes are up:

What the hell is this? There's no path to the lever outside the room. Why, then, do I immediately run out of the room and into the path of the death Roomba? The example posted at the top still happens, too. The difference is that instead of running straight into a death Roomba, you run straight into a buzzsaw. Both can easily get you killed.

Fix your damn game, GGG. 1.5 years is more than enough of this bullshit. Come on.
"
Jennik wrote:
1.5 years later this is still happening. Pathing in POE is still dumb.

Here's me standing in front of a lever. Spikes come up and block the path every few seconds.

Fix your damn game, GGG. 1.5 years is more than enough of this bullshit. Come on.

Labyrinth is loathsome content. While I appreciate that GGG has chopped most of the traps out of the first two labyrinths in 3.0, it is still horrible broken not fun content that besmirches and insults GGG's good name. They are too busy working on new content to fix this horrible crap, at least up to this point. GGG needs to make the labyrinth truly optional by making the ascendancy points available elsewhere.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
The spike traps themselves interfere with pathing. They are effectively walls when it comes to pathing.

Whether that's a bug is another matter. One of the things about pathing that some games try to do is if you click on a given place then you should always try to move towards it. Part of the rationale for that is even if you can't physically get there, you might still be able to attack or cast a spell there to kill an enemy. So that's why you take another route that can't get you to the exact spot, but will get you as close as possible to it.

There's also an issue of negating mazes that are supposed to be engaged with if pathfinding is too good. That can be mitigated by setting some limits on how far the pathfinding algorithm can move you, but that's likely pretty complicated in practice. See the way monsters stand stupidly at cliffs even though there's likely a ramp a screen away.

Chances are this isn't a bug so much as a combination of things that cause player annoyance. You want to do X but the game's systems mean you do Y instead. The spike traps count as walls for actual movement to prevent people from walking into and through them while up. The pathfinding is done that way because the vast majority of the time when you click somewhere it's good enough to get close to that spot and not always to the actual spot itself. It's also much easier computationally to get you close as opposed to on that exact spot.

It would be nice to prequeue waling across the spike traps when they go down, but it seems very much intentional because that would lower the engagement with them. Also, the spike traps are timed such that a character with a little bit of movement speed can get across them safely even if you click a little after they go down instead of the very moment they go down.

One solution to this player annoyance is to wait for the spikes to go down before you try to cross them. You should still have enough time. If you don't then invest in extra movement speed whether permanent or temporary like a Quicksilver of Adrenaline. Alternately, use a movement skill in the direction you want to go instead of using the move command itself since movement skills are designed to make you go only in the direction you click and don't generally do any pathfinding.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info