Martial law in Turkey - possible Coup

Tanks and low flying planes in Ankara. Military might be taking over right now.

They attempted to. Lets see how this turns out.

Turkey wanted to renew ties with Russia and Syria. Turkey was also helping the west attack Syria.

Police was arrested and disarmed by soldiers.
I don't know nearly enough about the politically inclined factions in Turkey to say anything useful, so I'll potentially derail the thread.

What comes to mind is the meme of 'damn Barrak OH BAMA tryinna take R gunz'. And what comes to mind right after that is the liberals of America responding with 'Jesus you rednecks are idiots' as they facepalm irl.

This is why it's nice not being a partisan or an ideologue. Liberals are right that gun nuts are overly protective, conspiratorial, and tie everything they don't like to Obama. HOWEVER...liberals are always so busy looking forward that they never make time to look backwards. They like to think that in 'modernity' (as if that were anything but a construct) the days of military coups are a relic of a bygone era.

They are blinded by their egos.

Now, you could argue that Turkey never quite made it to modernity, and I suppose that could be a discussion worth having.

Also worth noting: all the guns in America wouldn't be able to stop a military coup there so the gun argument doesn't really rise to the situation anyway unless someone's going to say that private citizens have a right to war machinery and nuclear weapons, or, conversely, that the military should not have them.

Anyway, if and when I have anything useful to say about this specifically I'll come back and re-rail the thread, I promise.
It was bound to happen. The Erdogan islamist regime was encroaching on everything in Turkey - police, media, courts... Military coups is how Turkey restores and keeps the country secular. Keeping a stable democracy in muslim majority countries is really hard, beacuse Islam is a political ideology too.

Anway, it looks like it's done deal. So we can add another mugshot here:

Spoiler
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Somewhere Assad is chuckling. Bound to happen though the government of Erdogan has damaged the law throwing hundreds of x-generals and press in prison, damaged order, and democracy. This is a guy who said he wish he could be Hitler and run Turkey like Hitler and was not joking.
http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2016/01/turkey-erdogan-presidential-system-hitler-comment.html

Git R Dun!
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Somewhere Assad is chuckling. Bound to happen though the government of Erdogan has damaged the law throwing hundreds of x-generals and press in prison, damaged order, and democracy. This is a guy who said he wish he could be Hitler and run Turkey like Hitler and was not joking.
http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2016/01/turkey-erdogan-presidential-system-hitler-comment.html

The Assad curse is real. Everyone goes down now. Maybe we see the white house burn too some day.
play by play.

Erdogan not in control of anything even the TV stations he gave to cronies. communicating via skype asking his supporters to take to the streets (very humiliating)...The Turkish Army orders its units to pull out of Ba'shiqa Iraq which were there illegally in international law and unwelcome by Iraq.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 15, 2016, 5:52:12 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
play by play.

Erdogon not in control of anything even the TV stations he gave to cronies. communicating via skype asking his supporters to take to the streets (very humiliating)...The Turkish Army orders its units to pull out of Ba'shiqa Iraq which were there illegally in international law and unwelcome by Iraq.

He reaps what he did sow. Lets see how things turn out. Ties with Russia and Syria would have been smarter than being a EU and US lackey.
"
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

The Assad curse is real. Everyone goes down now. Maybe we see the white house burn too some day.

WH probably gave Turkish army the Green Light realizing can't beat ISIS with Erdogan in power supplying them in all manner. I have no doubt TA will seal borders on ISIS AQ and all Jihadists in Syria. Either-way dark future ahead of Turkey. Coup wins and islamists blow things up (dont they always?). Coup loses and major purges and more police state. Civil war maybe even.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 15, 2016, 6:16:13 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

WH probably gave Turkish army the Green Light realizing can't beat ISIS with Erdogan in power supplying them in all manner. I hasve no doubt TA will seal borders on ISIS AQ and all Jihadists in Syria.

Yeah, i thought it might be a coup by the west to get rid of sudden pro Syria and Russia Erdogan. You do realize that its the US and EU thats funds and arms the terrorists over there, right? France did so as well among others. France even sent arms during the embargo.
Do you guys think that the recent terror attack in Turkey was the tipping point of this happening, or was it an accelerator of the inevitable? Or a third option?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info