To all fellow POE Exiled from France my thoughts and prayers are with you

"
innervation wrote:
"
Whats your issue with islam tho? Muslim women wear the headscarf willingly and proudly. I even talked to one and she told me she does it because its for her religion.

The west got poisoned with this idea that islam is evil yet its the west and its christianity that does equally evil things.

Stop blaming islam for terror attacks, blame the terrorists. They dont have a religion. They misuse the one the west brought them up with but all they preach about islam is false.

Muslims are good people. I live among many muslims and i have better experiences with them than with any christian i ever met.

I'll take your statements and questions in reverse order, since the first will take the longest.

I never said Muslims are bad people. Most of them are generally good people, but as I will demonstrate later, hold a few very disturbing beliefs, especially outside of America. They hold these beliefs SPECIFICALLY AND SOLELY because of their religion.

You guys have to stop with the meme that terrorists aren't 'real Muslims'. When Boko Haram and other groups capture people, do you know what the conditions are for some of those people either being executed, or released? 'Can they cite the Quran to the captor's satisfaction?' That's the test.

Tell me again they're not religious.

The source material of their religion tells them to establish a caliphate, to convert the non believers, and to smite the necks of the rest (not just once, but in multiple passages). And that is exactly what captured terrorists and ex-extremists say they are/were trying to do, citing chapter and verse.

Tell me again how blameless the Quran is.

The offices of Charlie Hebdo were attacked. Why? Cartoons. Where in the world would the attackers get the idea that an image of the Prophet is an offense punishable by death?

Tell us all again that they don't have a religion.

--

You can pass on quoting peaceful verses. I don't deny their existence - but this ideological fight is one that Islam needs to have with itself. You don't need to convince me not to kill in the name of someone's god - rest assured I have no desire to.

The people who carry out these acts bear the overwhelming majority of responsibility. Beneath that, the texts of Islam carry blame for having verses that encourage the above, and that encourage an apocalyptic death cult of martyrdom. Truly peaceful Muslims need to work, and talk, and act quickly. They need to demonstrate a better way forward, and they need to reform the religion.

We need Tunisia to work. We need secular governments in Muslim majority countries to thrive. To be great places of peace, and success, and freedom, and opportunity. It's obviously possible.

--

"Muslim women wear the headscarf willingly and proudly." I don't deny that some do and I think they should be free to do so. Now please defend forcing it on the women who would rather not wear the veil.

--

Is the 'west' poisoned with the idea that Islam is evil? Now who is painting with a broad brush? :P Certainly some are. Many Conservatives in America, obviously. You'd have a hard time convincing me that liberals are poisoned in this way given that they can't wait to shout 'Islamophobia!' and 'Bigot!' at every opportunity. I can't speak for the politics of Europe, but it is surely less widespread there than it is in America.

Is the 'west' really at fault here? They aren't blameless, but this is another meme that is so overblown. Wahabism and Salafism didn't start in America friend. And the most basic fact of the matter is that if the Quran didn't have shitty verses in it, none of this other stuff would matter. Thomas Jefferson created his own version of the bible without the miracles and supernatural bullshit, because he didn't believe in them. Muslims should show as much bravery and fix the source material - that will be the biggest step forward we can take.

--

Do Christians do evil things too? Absolutely. Their opposition to stem cell research alone cost people countless injuries and deaths (Muslims don't oppose stem cell research, and the few that do don't do so on religious grounds). The most conservative among them are anti-science, anti-reason, anti-progress, and a whole host of other things that I wish they weren't. It just so happens that this thread is about France, and the attack was Jihadist, so Christianity didn't come up.

The west taught them this from the christian point of view. Christian missions were established in many countries around the world and ruined peoples lives in the process with their indoctrination and discrimination.

You hate the quran yet dont even seem to try to understand that the very people i live with read the same book yet they dont blow themselves up to kill lots of people.

Who are you to tell people to change their religious books verses anyways? The majority of muslims are the most peaceful people on earth.

In fact, Syrians are muslims, yet they fight the terrorists that according to you are also muslims. You are being hypocritical in your thinking.

Syrians read the quran yet they dont blow themselves up or invade other countries.

So leave the xenophobia against islam and the quran to the propaganda machine of the west.
"
In fact, Syrians are muslims, yet they fight the terrorists that according to you are also muslims. You are being hypocritical in your thinking.

Secular regime syrians are fighting islamist syrians who are also fighting among themselves. The point is that islamism / jihadism, which is a fascist ideology, comes from Islam. If you want to know true islamism, then look at the awful political system in Iran or Saudi Arabia, where islamic theocracy is in charge.

"
Syrians read the quran yet they dont blow themselves up or invade other countries.

Islamist syrians blow themselves up every day in Syria, as part of warfare. I dont want them to come in the EU in masses, without strict background checks. Also the syrian secular regime are not angels, they attacked Israel a few times and occupied Lebanon until not long ago. Still, the regime is way more preferable than the islamist nutjobs.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jul 15, 2016, 2:03:05 PM
"
morbo wrote:
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
You also have to understand reality has no sense of morality. That's just something humans tack on to events to help us rationalize a chaotic and unforgiving world.

And what is "reality"? Is this tragic and brutal event not real, did it not happen? Is this killer's decision to run over people, not part of reality? Was his tought proces that result in this conclusion, influenced by some extra-dimensional thing?

Humans who are part of reality, have morals, therefore morals are part of reality.

The world is not chaotic and unforgiving, else we wont be talking on a game forum now, but probably dying in some ditch. You guys choose to look only on the bad sides (while at the same time saying there are no good/bad sides ??). All that primordial brutality is fought with civilization and overcome with civilizational moral norms.

btw, the terrorist was reasoning with the same nihilistic ideas, while running over people: these people have no intrinsic value, they are just guilty infidels and I'm allowed to kill them since there are no morals or morals dont apply for me.... Think about it -_-

1) no it was influenced by reality, obviously. A reality we are all part of and contribute to, willingly or not.

2) correct, but morality does not dictate the course of reality. It influences our reality though, but so do many other factors.

3) Can't believe you could write such a thing without a grin on your face.

Your actually making the argument that your own fortune negates the existence of misfortune?

As far as civilization goes, it's a beautiful theater constructed to be barbaric. Instead of simply killing your opponent, he gets pushed down on the ladder of society. How very humane of us.

4) how would you know? All i can say for sure is that i would have done the same if i "was him".
Beyond that is just speculation.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
morbo wrote:
"

Secular regime syrians are fighting islamist syrians who are also fighting among themselves. The point is that islamism / jihadism, which is a fascist ideology, comes from Islam. If you want to know true islamism, then look at the awful political system in Iran or Saudi Arabia, where islamic theocracy is in charge.

"

Islamist syrians blow themselves up every day in Syria, as part of warfare. I dont want them to come in the EU in masses, without strict background checks. Also the syrian secular regime are not angels, they attacked Israel a few times and occupied Lebanon until not long ago. Still, the regime is way more preferable than the islamist nutjobs.

I dont know where you got your info from but Syria was close in merging with lebanon. And i never heard of any Syrians blowing themselves up on my Twitter feed, and i do follow someone who regularly spreads the truth about the Syrian conflict.

"
Boem wrote:
4) how would you know? All i can say for sure is that i would have done the same if i "was him".

"
Boem wrote:
There is nothing inherently wrong with slaughtering innocent people.

Only people who think life holds no intrinsic value or morals "dont exist in reality", could kill indiscrimniately and randomly.

"
Boem wrote:
Your actually making the argument that your own fortune negates the existence of misfortune?

No, im saying that the human reality can be more than just barbarism, but only if you have morals & ethics. Else, yeah, it's just that - chaos & barbarism.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Now, to deal with the question of 'what is my issue with Islam'. Some of it, at this point, should be clear from my last post, but there's plenty more.

It violates, oppresses, and represses the natural rights of women. Women are chattel - property, and their punishments for 'crimes' like 'being raped' are things like being stoned to death. They didn't arrive at these laws through thoughtful social/political discussion of how to best maintain their civilization - the Quran instructs this.

Islam shows little tolerance for free thought and leaves little room for self criticism. Apostasy is a crime against God punishable by death. This pervasive attitude and belief is one of the big reasons ex-Muslims and ex-extremists have such a hard time reforming the religion, and otherwise changing people's attitudes. The religious and political leaders (all too often the same) immediately scream 'APOSTATE! HERETIC! BLASPHEMER! DONT LISTEN TO HIM!!! KILL HIM!' or 'her' in cases like Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Again, if it's not obvious, they didn't arrive at this crime/punishment from careful political, cultural, or social deliberation, it is purely religious in nature.

The genital mutilation of children. Clitoridectomy in the case of Islam. Do I really need to explain why this violates people's natural rights?

And while suicide attacks are scary enough, the truly scary part - the existential threat - is what I mentioned in my last post. The texts - the source material for all of this wickedness - are incredibly resistant to change. The books themselves decree how perfect they are, who can argue with that? Trying to change the sacred words means an eternity of hell. The problem, long term, is that even if we were to eliminate every fundamentalist and have 300 years of peace, there will ALWAYS be the possibility (the near certainty given enough time) that someone down the road picks up the books - they haven't changed mind you - and reads them. And says "OH! That's what we should be doing!" They then take the political and economic circumstances of their time (you can see the Jews do this in the old testament over and over) and say to their disaffected peers: "Look at how our ancestors lived! Look at how pious and holy they were! The reason we are <insert plight here> is because we have forsaken God! We must reform the caliphate! We must institute Sharia!"

And we're right back at square one.

As a final point, Pew research is terrifying on a number of fronts. Anywhere from 25-50% of people in various Middle Eastern and African countries believe that suicide bombing is sometimes or often justified. 20-50% have a favorable view of Hamas and Hezbollah. In countries like Indonesia and Turkey, about 40% say they don't see Islamic extremism as a threat to their country. 78% of Pakistanis think laws in their country should 'strictly follow' the teachings of the Quran.

Does any of this sound problematic to you? And these aren't even the truly crazy countries like Syria and Saudi Arabia - who won't even allow polling. Take the roughly 50% of Jordanians who say that suicide bombing is sometimes of often justified. Now those people aren't going around doing it themselves, but this is the pool of people that aid and abet them. They give money to organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah, who then give it to terrorists. They give shelter - both literally to terrorists - and figuratively, by demanding the stifling of criticism of Islam, which shelters the truly radical.
"
Antnee wrote:
Nihilism is utterly worthless, and not nearly as deep as ya'll seem to think it is.

I suppose you could technically say I'm a nihilist but that's only a part of the picture. Just because I don't think things have any inherent meaning doesn't mean they aren't important. Same with morality, just because it isn't inherent to reality doesn't mean there isn't beauty and ugliness in the world.

I'm a firm believer in that old Gandhi quote; 'Everything you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it.'
"
I dont know where you got your info from but Syria was close in merging with lebanon. And i never heard of any Syrians blowing themselves up on my Twitter feed, and i do follow someone who regularly spreads the truth about the Syrian conflict.

It was a 'friendly' occupation :P

How do you follow the news from Syria, but dont know about hundreds of suicide bombings going on there? By native & foreign islamists. They make a ton of propaganda videos, where they glorify the act of blowing youself up for the sky god wizard.

I suggest you diversify your sources, because following just one twitter feed (even if he's "spreading the truth" :)) is not enough.

----
E:
Also, Innervation = 100% spot on on everything
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jul 15, 2016, 2:28:01 PM
"

The west taught them this from the christian point of view. Christian missions were established in many countries around the world and ruined peoples lives in the process with their indoctrination and discrimination.

You hate the quran yet dont even seem to try to understand that the very people i live with read the same book yet they dont blow themselves up to kill lots of people.

Who are you to tell people to change their religious books verses anyways? The majority of muslims are the most peaceful people on earth.

So leave the xenophobia against islam and the quran to the propaganda machine of the west.

So rather than respond to or acknowledge any problems with Islam at its core you've chosen to:

1) Double down on the idea that Christian missionaries are more responsible for the Nice attack than the perpetrator or his actual religion. (Absurd, and completely ungrounded in facts)

2) Continue saying that "I know good Muslims, so bad Muslims must not really be Muslims at all" (re-defining terms as you go along)

3) Apologize for the worst aspects of a text that incites people to violence daily by saying 'who are you to question it?' (deflection, and a misguided one at that)

4) Conflate, for the third time this thread, your invented definition of Muslim for the actual definition. Then try to call ME a hypocrite for not butchering the definition.

Guess what - Americans fought and killed each other in their Civil War. Just because you or I think one side is 'right' and 'just' doesn't make the other side NOT Americans. You're just redefining words as it suits you. You're tacking on 'but doesn't kill other Muslims' to the definition. Sorry, that's not how it works. Just because extremists interpret the Quran differently than you'd like, it doesn't make them not Muslims.

Edit: on the topic of 'phobias', a phobia is an irrational fear. This is mostly overblown and inaccurate too. Look at the polls I have cited above. Some fear is rational. Now, some in America (and again, I won't speak for EU) DO absolutely have an irrational fear of, forget Muslims, anyone who even looks Middle Eastern. A man was tackled by police in...Cincinnati or Cleveland the other day. He was talking on his phone outside of a hotel wearing a turban. That was his 'crime'. Some idiot hotel lobby receptionist called the police and said 'I think he's doing, like, terrorist stuff, or something'.

Of course, very few outlets reported on it, and of course, those that did only did so because he was a rich business man. Who knows how often this stuff happens in reality. Some people do have an irrational fear. But to suggest that I have a phobia is off base.

Last edited by innervation on Jul 15, 2016, 2:44:24 PM
"
morbo wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

"
Boem wrote:
There is nothing inherently wrong with slaughtering innocent people.

Only people who think life holds no intrinsic value or morals "dont exist in reality", could kill indiscrimniately and randomly.

Ah i see, your convinced these actions are "random" in nature and have no cause. That explains a lot.

And just to be clear, with "was him" i am actually referring to = having his genes, upbringings, history etc etc

As in actually being him. Since he committed the crime, i can positively say i would have done the same if i "was him", so the question to understand him becomes how he reached that point.
And from that you can learn and improve.

To be clear i value life, else i wouldn't have cried for the victims and the terrorist. At the same time, i don't think "innocent people" exist in this world since we are all interconnected to one another.
It reads more like an excuse then anything else.

It's tragic that the victims life are lost, but i consider it equally tragic the terrorists life was lost and resulted in doing such an act.

"
morbo wrote:
No, im saying that the human reality can be more than just barbarism, but only if you have morals & ethics. Else, yeah, it's just that - chaos & barbarism.

I sometimes wonder what is most humane, dominating a target or putting it out of its misery.

quantity would say, dominate it, it's still useful as a tool.
quality would say, put it out of it's misery, it's lost it's will and beauty.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info