The Secret Cookbook of a Bachelor Exile

We should probably face it, Wraeclast doesn't strike you like a place where you eat well. So, once the day is over and Malachai rests in whatever questionable amount of peace he can enjoy, you're left with only the craving for a good, hot meal spoiling that grim feeling of satisfaction. Unfortunately, besides good grub, the continent seems to be at a distinct shortage of capable women so there's nobody handy to send back to the kitchen.

I mean, just think of it, the whole of Lioneye's watch apaprently survives on charred Rhoa steaks prepared by Terkleigh and a stray herring caught by Bestel’s bestest efforts. That kind of unfortunate situation probably means that, despite her motherly bearing, you can base a viable chaos build on vapors from Nessa's cooking, with meal itself easily capable of opening a rift to the beyond. In the forest encampment things are hardly rosy either with Yeena’s mushroom expertise managing only to keep her head firmly wrapped in wool, resulting in so many irreparably burned meals that cooking duty ended up shared between Greust and Silk. That, unfortunately, means Monday is roasted boar and Tuesday is spider stew, rinse and repeat (chickens are just mtx pets so they aren’t really edible).

The visitors are no better themselves. Zana is a career girl and that means ‘can’t even fry an egg’, Tora still hasn’t heard of the beneficial effects fire has on raw meat and you never know when will something Catarina prepared decide to just get up and seek its fortunes away from your plate.

Yes, brave exile, seems you’re on your own here. But never fear, there are many easy meals you can prepare with just the ingredients you scavenge on the move or borrow from willing or less than willing neighbors. And remember, the time-honored custom of eating junk or going hungry in absence of a dedicated housewife was established by the lazy, not by the manly.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, even though this was discussed as a joke in another thread there’s no reason we can’t make it somewhat serious and try sharing our most coveted urban survival techniques. With that in mind, it’s a big plus if the recipes are cheap, simple and ingredients readily available but there’s no harm in posting something you make only on special occasions to dazzle and impress. The ironclad rule for submissions is you have to post something you made yourself, preferably with pics and tips to avoid common beginner screwups, no copying over something that just looked tasty and simple on a foodie website.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Coastal Moussaka
Deep Fried Mustardized Bacon
The Comprehensive Bachelor Guide to Potatoes and Eggs
Waterfront Bread Omelette
Fakener Mojito
Ooozeback Pilaf
Kira's Dere-Dere Rice Omelette
Fried Pickles, Bitches!
Pizza Forever!
One Pot Lentil Soup
Sour Haku Stew

Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Apr 26, 2018, 4:18:09 PM
Last bumped on Jun 8, 2017, 2:05:54 PM
Coastal Moussaka

I’ll open the ball with a favorite meal of Lioneye’s Watch exiles, the trouble is only they don’t get to eat it very often because Bestel is more of a crackpot than a crackshot fisherman and not much really grows around the place so they need to trade for the potatoes. It’s something that maybe takes a bit longer to make but it’s very simple, cheap and light, a worthy no-frills summer meal. Ingredients are very common and it doesn’t require any special tools or appliances, just a large pot, a deep baking pan and an oven.

Ingredients:
- 5-6 big cloves of garlic
- Some parsley, basil or origano, anything you’re used to seeing on seafood.
- A bit of salt and pepper.
- Some olive oil preferably, but nothing wrong with using another kind.
- (optional) A bit of lemon peel, if you like it.
- 6-7-8 large potatoes, depends on how big your pan is.
- A few fillets of any kind of saltwater fish, hake, mackerel or whatever you can get, you can also use shrimps or squid, anything you find in the freezer really, it only affects cooking time
- (optional) A cup of rice (I just like rice in this, not a must).
- An onion.
- (optional) An egg and some sour cream

1. Wash the rice
As it says, wash the rice and leave it a bit to soak, you probably want to use the long grain rice, but any kind really works, skip if you don’t want to use rice.

2. Prepare the sauce
Finely chop the garlic or use a press, add herb(s) of choice, salt, pepper, lemon peel, olive oil and set aside.

3. Boil the potatoes
until you can stick a toothpick or a fork in them somewhat easily. You ideally don’t want to cook them fully so they don’t fall apart while cutting and they finish the cooking in the oven anyway, but it’s no disaster if you do overcook them a bit, just use a sharper knife later on.

4. Cut the onion into thin slices or rings.

5. Peel the potatoes and cut them
into thick slices, oil the pan a bit and cover the bottom with half the potatoes.

6. Drain the rice
and spread it over the bottom potato layer along with half the onion, then sprinkle everything with half of the sauce.

7. Spread the seafood and the rest of the onions, use the rest of the sauce to season the fish chunks.

8. Cover everything with the second layer of potatoes and sprinkle with half the glass of water, milk or yogurt. Usually you would beat up an egg, add some sour cream to it and spread over the whole thing but you don’t really have to if it’s too much of a hassle.

9. Bake on 180°C (360°F) for around 20-30 minutes depending on what kind of seafood you used (and was it frozen or not). Fish halves will take longer than fillets and shrimps will take less to cook.

Last edited by raics on Apr 26, 2018, 4:39:03 PM
didn't expect a cooking recipe coming to the PoE forums but this looks really tasty!
hardly ever bother posting and more just luring in the background following posts but felt like I should write something for the effort you put into this :)
Gorramit, raics! I was already hungry, and then you post this! =>[.]<=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Spoiler
my english sux.
"
blubbber wrote:
didn't expect a cooking recipe coming to the PoE forums

It was only a matter of time, there should be some food enthusiasts next to all those former navy seals, experienced programmers and ancient weapon experts :)

"
Raycheetah wrote:
=>[.]<=

Hmm, it says 'annoyed or angry'. Good, they say anger is the best sauce and annoyance is best served cold.

hmmmmm .... former navy seals cook .... are you Steven Seagal??? ;)

bit of a shame I saw this post one day too late, experimented with black quinoa and trying to turn it into a healthy protein / fibre filled salad which turned out to be incredibly tasty... had I know about this topic, I would have taken some pics along the way and added it here :)
Last edited by blubbber on Jul 13, 2016, 12:28:54 PM
"
blubbber wrote:
hmmmmm .... former navy seals cook .... are you Steven Seagal??? ;)

bit of a shame I saw this post one day too late, experimented with black quinoa and trying to turn it into a healthy protein / fibre filled salad which turned out to be incredibly tasty... had I know about this topic, I would have taken some pics along the way and added it here :)

Gluten-free meals, eh? Good luck with that :)

But do chip in whenever you got something interesting to show, the topic isn't going anywhere, just like GGG I've got 10 acts planned for it, or as long as there's any interest.

You mean Casey Ryback? No idea if Seagal cooks in RL :)

you know your food :)
I can eat anything but my mum is a coeliac, so I try to experiment with gluten-free stuff from time to time for when she visits...

will document the steps next time I make it!

going by his shape, he must be an avid cook in RL too ;)
thumbs up :)

in my case, the boss does most of the cooking.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info