Back after three years

Hello again Exiles!

Decided to give this game another try, I'm not entirely sure why I came back here... this game has something other similar titles haven't, from time to time something about Path of Exile came back to me during all these years. Last time it didn't end very well (the usual give away + characters deletion :D) but I hope this can be fun again (I know the key is not taking it too seriously).

Loved the summoner witch back then (best minion class I've played, much better than the usual ARPG summoners), hope to find some of that again here in this new version.
I don't like races and seasons, and I'll go full self found don't care about 'end game' and even less about 'economy sim 2016'... just not what I look for in games.
Will play mostly solo because my latency and hardware aren't good (and last time I played, co-op wasn't any good either).

I know where this game failed (at least based on my previous play through) and so I will not go there (again) and will focus on the good (IMO) points which ultimately made me come back check this game again.

Anyway, any thought to share? I can read all the stuff that has changed since 2013 but it'd be more interesting to hear something (anything) from your perspective and experience and directed to a returning player.
This community is nice, I hope this game glues me, again :)

Last edited by BacktoHell on Jul 12, 2016, 10:07:22 PM
Last bumped on Jul 13, 2016, 10:26:27 PM
Check out the newer summons... animate weapon is quite a viable skill, even if it's a bit quirky to maintain.
I recently did a summoner for the first time since beta so I have a tip for you, but I'm worried it might go against what you like about the game (I'm not sure you described it very well unfortunately - why exactly did you quit?)

Anyway the http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Summon_Raging_Spirit gem is VERY nice to use while leveling. It is used as a direct damage spell (kind of like a fireball) but instead of delivering one flaming ball of 50 damage, you summon a small flaming minion ball that does 10 damage like 5 times (half physical, half fire). It gives you something good to do when your skeletons, zombies and more traditional minions are loafing around like the lazy assholes they are.

Yes, Summon Raging Spirit will benefit from any +minion nodes you take on the tree. Whenever your zombies or animated weapons or spectres become good enough to clear for you at a rate you're happy with, you can stop using it and switch to using an 'offering' skill.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Spirit_Offering

The reason I think you might not like SRS is because it's not really the way a traditional RPG Summoner plays, so idk. Good luck though!

I know you said you don't like races/seasons but I'd really encourage you to roll in the Prophecy League. If you enjoy taking your time, not getting bogged down in speed progression/farming and all that, Prophecies give you little side quests to do with rewards attached. If you decide you hate it, you can always reroll on standard vanilla after a couple hours -_-
"
innervation wrote:
- why exactly did you quit?

Because I didn't like end game, didn't like co-op, didn't like economy and didn't like the fact certain builds were 100x stronger than others.

None of that matters now :)
welcome...back to hell.

lol ;)
Theres a bow you might consider looking at.. Null's Inclination. Its a summoner bow as strange as that may sound but the way it works you socket in your minions and it summons them as you kill (On kill i think may be on hit but i cant remember) But its a really cool way to run a summoner. Ofcourse you said your not interested in trading so only way youll probably see one is if it happens to drop but just throwing it out there in case you find you have a bunch of currency you forgot about in standard or find you have tons of copy's of items that have went Legacy since you have been gone.

I would also check that too theres ALOT of items that have went Legacy since 2013 so you may be sitting on a goldmine and not even know it.

Also keep in mind there are Ascendancy Sub Classes now for every Class in the game. Each one has 3 except for Scion she has a huge tree that has access to some effects of all the other ascendancy class's. But yeah thats something to keep in mind when making builds now. Since they hold alot of power. Witch has a Necromancer which naturally would be very good for a summoner so you may want to give that a look.

Other than that the Labyrinth that you have to complete in each difficulty for 2 ascendancy points (8 points total including an Uber lab done through the Map Device that also had its own set of 6 trials that only be done in maps) can be a little tough at first so you may want to over lvl. You also need to complete 6 Trails to open it up in each difficulty but they have recently made it where you only need to do the trails once per difficulty per league. So once you do it on one character in standard you wont have to do it again there. The traps in Lab are % based BTW so don't be surprised when they do the same damage no matter how much life you have OR what difficulty you are in. They did that to make you avoid them i suppose but a Movement Speed, Quicksilver Flasks, and some Life flasks go a long way for these.

Good Luck and Welcome back man. \m/
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
There are still builds that are 100x as strong as others... probably closer to 1000x.

It's very easy to make a build that wont beat merciless at all, while also pretty easy to make a build that will trivialize it. Choices matter in PoE. In a "balanced" game, none of your choices really matter... because any choice you make will have been balanced against choices you opted against.
You don't have to push maps to the max with insane rolls so you can get the highest maps(now red colored maps), sitting in map tier 8-10 is almost just as good if not better and much safer and cheaper.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Thanks for the input guys :)

So good to see there are now several server locations and I can play with only 40-60ms and not 210 <3
Happy to see this game has grown, even more because it came out of nowhere and its still kicking some other gigantic corporate drones butt all the way, made a name by itself and the old 'by gamers for gamers' still lives even if its less common these days compared to 15-20 years ago.

Loving animate weapon... nothing like carpeting Brutus' room with trash and watch them come to life and gank the boss in no time :D

"
BacktoHell wrote:
Thanks for the input guys :)

So good to see there are now several server locations and I can play with only 40-60ms and not 210 <3
Happy to see this game has grown, even more because it came out of nowhere and its still kicking some other gigantic corporate drones butt all the way, made a name by itself and the old 'by gamers for gamers' still lives even if its less common these days compared to 15-20 years ago.

Loving animate weapon... nothing like carpeting Brutus' room with trash and watch them come to life and gank the boss in no time :D

Just wait until you try that tactic on the new guy!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info