Why isn't there an offline version of PoE yet?

After the topic on reddit about PoE at a GDQ not being possible due to games needing to be offline it made me and my guildmates wonder why this doesn't already exist. Are their any serious consequences to a p2p version of offline poe? People would be willing to pay 30-50$ for it and I don't think the opportunity cost would be crazy, there'd also not be a drop in mtx since nobody buys them to show off they just want their character to not look like utter garbage. So why hasn't GGG done something like this or has it been brought up before and shot down for some reason?
Last bumped on Jul 12, 2016, 7:11:54 AM
Good luck with that.
GGG gives me Diablo 2 Teleport? I give them 50 bucks. No questions asked.
"
People would be willing to pay 30-50$

Id be willing to cough up $200-250 (USD) easy. But yeah it's been brought up over and over and pretty much ignored.

Some common reasons people post why it isn't offline, and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with them, include:

Cheats, once the code is offline it will be more susceptible to online cheating.
Money, People buy offline once, people pay online again and again.
Internet is common, you can get an internet connection just about anywhere.
Divides the player base, if you are offline I can't play with you so I get board and quit.

Those are the ones I can think of that come up often, sure there is more. Don't really feel like beating the horse and discussing if those points are valid or not.
Try Grim Dawn.

This game preys on those with weak egos. From MTX to challenges their whole business model is based on Jones next door. If you cant see them what good is it?
Git R Dun!
Not likely to happen. They've chosen their business model and it seems to have worked out of them.
I bet the real reason just like anything is the cost of production vs profit. I would guess it would look like a pay 2 play game with each major expansion or content update being pay gated. They would be cutting their bottom line by adding that though (people who shop on amazon don't buy the candy and magazines at the check out lane etc).

The cheats problem could be worked around but it would add some amount of cost to develop into the offline game and its new content.
Last edited by GeorgAnatoly on Jul 11, 2016, 8:28:04 PM
Way more money to be made with the current model probably .
Last edited by Nizreb915 on Jul 11, 2016, 9:14:22 PM
"
Cessna wrote:
After the topic on reddit about PoE at a GDQ not being possible due to games needing to be offline it made me and my guildmates wonder why this doesn't already exist. Are their any serious consequences to a p2p version of offline poe? People would be willing to pay 30-50$ for it and I don't think the opportunity cost would be crazy, there'd also not be a drop in mtx since nobody buys them to show off they just want their character to not look like utter garbage. So why hasn't GGG done something like this or has it been brought up before and shot down for some reason?

Because it's 2016 and everything is online. Get with the times.
"
Ratedetar wrote:
"
Cessna wrote:

Because it's 2016 and everything is online. Get with the times.

not really but you bought into the whole zeros and ones are you. a clog in the wheel, a beta, a sucker and a number until you expire your utility. Not me. I'm no 1 as is you are. dont believe the hype of overlords. your rec are as good as any other.

offline limitless rifts is what I'd pay for beyond chump change ive given these developers so far.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 11, 2016, 11:17:48 PM
Probably because the entire game is build up to rely on a server and would have to be reconstructed to a large extent - and maybe they would prefer the whole server architecture not to be known by all.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info