Iron Reflexes, is it worth it?

Never played an evasion character before but saw a pretty powerful build on youtube and had the bow required to do it so I dug through my stash and put together a decent evasion/dodge focused character. Almost killed Uber Izaro at level 71, actually did kill him but died at the same moment as him. I actually don't have the main parts of the unique items suggested for the build which is why I have been building for dodge/evasion and not following the guide specifically.

Uber Izzy doesn't hit me often but when he does it hurts, a lot. I know my hp is probably disgustingly low but I've been doing well with it regardless. I was wondering if it was worthwhile to spec into Iron Reflexes.

What are your thoughts on the keystone?

My Gear, passive tree and defensive stats as best as I can remember them. I'm at work and don't have access ot my in game character sheet at the moment.
Sound the dread alarm, through the primal body! Sound the reveille, to be or not to be. Rise! Stay the grand finale! Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue. One drive to stay alive! Elementary, muster every fiber. Mobilize! Stay alive!
Last bumped on Jul 6, 2016, 8:21:30 AM
I wont take iron reflexes unless you are actually armour char. By armour char, I mean you stack endurance charge, using enfeeble, etc. Iron reflexes is helping you to not miss out juicy defense in case you need to use evasion gears (i.e. lightning coil, belly of the beast, cospri's will). It is also an extension that you can also get armour with ring since ring can roll evasion but not armour.

Tldr. Take this node if you play armour char. Otherwise, this passive is not worth taking.
Iron reflexes is extremely strong for players with a little bit of EV and a little bit of armor which is ineffective. They receive a sudden boost in defense once they invest in Iron Reflex.

Having said that, your build can never ever go for Iron Reflex. Why? Because Evasion is saving you from your own arrows killing you against monsters with reflect. Sorry to burst your bubble over there.
Good to know and yes so far physical reflect has not been much of an issue. I am guessing that I am dodging or evading a good portion of the reflected damage.

I think I figured something out for helping me fight uber izzy. I have a free red socket in my helm and will probably throw a decoy totem in there to buy me a second here and there. I have just been trying to kind of tank him and move out of the way of the big hits, hoping that my stibnite will blind him and my other flasks will assist in making him miss. I worked flawlessly on normal thru merciless labs but got my teeth kicked in on uber lab. First lab I tried he kicked my ass and the second I tried to move around but he was always on my ass.

Thanks for the advice and I'll pass on going for iron reflexes. Just need to get uber izzy down and then get some levels under my belt and finish fine tuning my gear, as you can see it's nothing great. All self found except the bow(3 ex) and the prismatic ring(5c). :)
Sound the dread alarm, through the primal body! Sound the reveille, to be or not to be. Rise! Stay the grand finale! Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue. One drive to stay alive! Elementary, muster every fiber. Mobilize! Stay alive!
Ahhhh...another piece of advice if you do not mind. The time you take to cast decoy totem is enough for him to kill you.
"
Deadpeng wrote:
Ahhhh...another piece of advice if you do not mind. The time you take to cast decoy totem is enough for him to kill you.
Well then I'll have to pray to RNGesus that my stibnite makes him miss. xD
"
viciousnugget wrote:
I know my hp is probably disgustingly low but I've been doing well with it regardless. I was wondering if it was worthwhile to spec into Iron Reflexes.

It really is disgustingly low. Evasion is almost entirely useless if you can't survive a hit anyways, so Iron Reflexes is all-gain at this point. Once you can actually survive large hits, Evasion becomes really good again.
Almost all of your gear has average-at-best Life rolls. That's really something to look towards improving.

As for Reflect; Armour protects against your own Reflect just as much, perhaps even better considering your Accuracy is also pretty large. That's more something to try out than to say outright, I suppose..

Also, a proper on-level Life Flask would help :P
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 5, 2016, 2:24:20 PM
Hehehe you missed the part where I said I dug through my stash to see what I could throw together? :P

It's not optimized at all, I know my gear is bad but it was what I had. I think the kintsugi is the only thing preventing me from being 1 shot in a lot of cases.

I just beat uber izaro with it a few minutes ago too so now I can get leveling and farming currency to maybe buy the stuff I won't find. :)
"
Vipermagi wrote:

Also, a proper on-level Life Flask would help :P

Fixed this part of my setup.
Last edited by viciousnugget on Jul 6, 2016, 7:14:48 PM

I finde IR to be only cheep escape for not dedicated builds. It get extrimly punising after T8 maps becouse of elemental damge and is better just runing grace and less armor.
"
viciousnugget wrote:
"
Deadpeng wrote:
Well then I'll have to pray to RNGesus that my stibnite makes him miss. xD

Lol. Not sure if Deadpeng is operating on old information - he's definitely said some odd things in the past (he's claimed that x% increased physical on a Weapon can't be scaled by passives while x-y flat physical on Weapons can, which is not true by any stretch of the imagination. Was he drunk that day?). Decoy Totem before the Taunt changes was pretty much garbage in higher level content, and now it's nearly god-like. Nowadays, it gives you a brief moment of practical invincibility vs strictly-melee enemies, and with proper positioning, also does so against splash-melee and ranged enemies. Even when it fails against splash-melee and ranged, you still get at least a brief moment (for me, usually 4 seconds) of 10% less Damage Taken. Not too bad, in my opinion.

But I have not personally run Uber Izaro, so in the absence of any other input, I'd defer to Deadpeng and say that Uber Izaro is simply too fast and this magical Totem which has been buffed 9001x since the Taunt changes and is godlike in many other scenarios falls flat vs Uber Izaro.

EDIT: If Uber Izaro is only as fast Merciless/Cruel/Normal Izaro, then Decoy Totem will actually be super useful against him. When I use Decoy Totem against Izaro and his skellies, I definitely avoid at least 3 out of 4 of his big attacks. Somehow the Goddess seems to still be able to target me fairly frequently - I'm assuming it's because there's a large delay between acquiring target and completing her green fire ability.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jul 5, 2016, 9:23:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info