Developer Q&A Answers

"
Remember not to get fooled by this. He doesn't add any context, and this is a classic PR tactic that a lot of legal departments use. He doesn't lie, ofc Red Maps give more XP and better loot. However, think about availability and XP per hour. Also, by what, like a 3% margin?

When someone asks you whether you can say your name, you don't reply with your name, you answer "yes." Had the original person who had asked this included an "answer on a per hour only" basis, this question would have been skipped 100%.

ayy they'd be great politicians :^)
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
"
The problem with set items is that they encourage you not to swap out your gear. If we created a specific set then the whole set would either be good (in which case every build with it is identical) or bad (in which case it's simply not used). We don't think that sets promote the type of gameplay that we want.

A note on Set Items:
Actually a set allows you to encourage the usage of items that normally don't go well together.

Take, f.Ex. the original sets in TF2: There was a gun causing a debuff, and a melee weapon benefitting from that debuff, with a drawback that you'd normally counter by using a secondary that you now couldn't if you wanted to get the set buff. Getting that interaction into a single item would have been way complicated.
It is a bit harder to do that in an ARPG, but I see possibilities there. It's not always just "This goes well together and is useless on it's own!".
It's about the possibilities of making things work together in new ways that are hard to replicate otherwise.
You could even have a set that grants a different bonus depending on if you have 1,2,3,4 items of it, the latter not necessarily being better for the build.

Besides, Perandus Signet and Grand Spectrum sort of go in that direction already. I think there is more potential than there are risks.

PoE already has a better system so why bother with the inferior set system? PoE's "sets" come about naturally for synergies between items. They come about through player discovery rather being handed to them by devs with item tooltips.

lol reading through these comments.

The best part is how a certain someone says you have to be shit to die to bloodlines from DB but is complaining about it after i said the interaction between the two is exactly why no one uses it.

That amount of community entitlement going on in here rofl.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
Jaille wrote:
"
Remember not to get fooled by this. He doesn't add any context, and this is a classic PR tactic that a lot of legal departments use. He doesn't lie, ofc Red Maps give more XP and better loot. However, think about availability and XP per hour. Also, by what, like a 3% margin?

When someone asks you whether you can say your name, you don't reply with your name, you answer "yes." Had the original person who had asked this included an "answer on a per hour only" basis, this question would have been skipped 100%.

ayy they'd be great politicians :^)

:^)

Gotta call out BS when I see it. Their favorite map must be Orchard because they love picking the cherries... huehuehue

"
ventiman wrote:
Looks like noone from the vocal minority asked any lab related questions...better distract with finishing shit alone 5 dimwhit posts about fishing...seems it works

2x 50 lab critic threads for weeks on front page and no statement from his side instead we get cherry picked easy question feels like a zeno propaganda podcast

Way to go time will tell ppl will vote with there wallets way too many issues right now the hc situation is perfectly fine for him i guess

And like always you have to skip to page 5 to avoid the asskissing

I'm starting to like you more and more. Make it stop.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
"
Zamary wrote:
Wow, I literally just noticed the Globe girls were changed and now i'm pissed.

social justice warriors
what would penguins do?
[quote="Gereggy"]I got stuck in a wall, and it was glorious. :D[/quote]
[quote="Qarl"]Fixed a bug where occasionally Fairgraves, Neverdying never dies.[/quote]
I hope in your next Q&A you shed some light on the Microtransactions issues we, as a community, are having! Thanks again for an awesome game!
Shapeshifting:

--How would this work?

I would imagine the best way to do it would be to add a new class along with all the bells and whistles this comes with. The main reason for this would be to benefit from the ascendancy system. Three shapeshifting ascendancies would be great to specialize in each of the forms. Three forms in total would make the most sense: one for melee type skills, one for ranged attack, and one for spells.

--What happens to the player when they're shape-shifted? Can they use their regular skills?

The new shapeshifting class will have a new body armour replacer slot in which you socket the shapeshifting gems. Once shapeshifted each piece of equipment will only get use of one socket. Your weapon will be an active skill and the other equipment pieces will be support gems to increase the power of your active skill and your shapeshifting gems. When shapeshifted you will use a default style melee swing to activate all attacks. Your attack gem will be activated via a cast on melee, trigger skill type mechanic. You swing and your skill will be activated originating from your character. Only one swing animation per form would be needed to activate the skill gems. (number of sockets will still have to be worthwhile on gear, so the essentially dead sockets you have while shapeshifted could be a passive strength increase, socketed with jewels, socketed with a new item etc)

--Would we need to animate the shape-shifted figure to have all the regular animations of the player classes?

I don't think so. Using the trigger gem mechanic to activate skills and then having them originate on the player would make it so you would only have to do one swing type move to activate the skill. So there would be the melee swing and the transformation as far as new animations go. The benefit of making a new class for shapeshifting would be that only one character would need the shapeshifting animations. The hard part is rearranging the passive tree for the new class.

--What if we just sold it as a microtransaction skin?

This wouldn't do much for me personally. The fun of thinking about shapeshifting in path of exile is how it would interact with all the other game systems. No half measures!

Last edited by DonJangles on Jul 5, 2016, 5:11:02 PM
Is it just me or do some other people want to know who asked the questions? for GGG to answer.
Somehow, it’s almost refreshing to see that no game developer, no matter how lauded everywhere else, is ever immune to being utterly demonized by its playerbase for no actual reason.

Seriously, folks. Lay off. I guarantee you, people would murder for the level of developer feedback, interaction, and information you guys are guffing about here over on the MechWarrior boards. I’ve never played a game from any other company as willing to talk to its players as GGG is.

Don’t like the answers? A’ight – say why, move on. No need to be pissy bastards over it. They specifically said they’re answering more questions in a soon-upcoming post. At which point they’ll tell you a lot of what you already know because most of the Labyrinth questions everyone is so cheesed off they’re not answering are the same questions they’ve already answered before, just phrased in an angrier and more hostile manner.

Being increasingly douchey about ‘asking’ your questions isn’t going to change the answers, folks.

Anyways. Interested to see this new 2.4.0 endgame they keep teasing about. Never really got to proper ‘endgame’ before, at least not in the level 95+, Uber-Atziri-on-casual-farm-status everyone seems to mean when they say endgame, but I really enjoy the map system in the game. It’ll be interesting to see how it ends up expanded or metamorphosed when 2.4.0 comes out.

Also interesting to see how many things players consider Perfectly Fine that gets GGG’s gander up. I’m in complete agreement with the movement skill thing, for instance – people replacing “walk somewhere” with Whirling Blades is weird, unintuitive, and just doesn’t feel good or ‘watch good’ when I’m checking out videos online. Whirling Blades is a great skill for in-combat maneuvering and for escaping unexpected mobbings, but I hate that so many players try to use their move skill to replace their actual feet. Cast on Crit is going to be controversial no matter what GGG does, and I’ll admit – I’m still surprised people give a rat about Dominating Blow.

On one last note…please do retain Navali and her Prophecies after the league ends. It’s such a flexible system, easy to adjust and play with any time it needs to be, the Fated Unique system is a fantastic way to try and give crappy uniques nobody even picks up anymore a new lease on life, and honestly it just adds a bit of interesting variety to the game. I’d plug to get Talisman back too, but…well, that seems like a lost cause. C’est la vie, I suppose…
"
Gunslingerx64 wrote:
"
Zamary wrote:
Wow, I literally just noticed the Globe girls were changed and now i'm pissed.

social justice warriors

funny in this context:

"
Chris wrote:
Custom UI skins ... dilute the brand identity of Path of Exile (in terms of recognisability when people see it being played).

i ever thought the globe girl removal was brought upon them by external forces ... hands up who did it!!!111

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info