Why GGG shouldn't limit players getting to max level

Before you bash the idea , lets consider a few things.

The whole idea of 100 shouldn't be such a chore. Think how the game would improve if instead of limiting the 99% from achieving max level , they could simply balance the game around the idea that most will achieve max level. Currently it just artificially extends "progression" of the game for very few players. IT feels more like a co-out by GGG to not develop real end game content.

Ok, yes it would mean those who have struggled to 100 already would lose some prestige. But hey those who got to 100 in 1.3 had it easier then 2.3 right? But, you did struggle, soo i suggest for the players who already got to 100 prior to this suggestion recieve an item that makes them look bigger. There now you are compensated for never going outside with a larger character.
Now that i dealt with the short sighted...

IF the game could be balanced around max level, then they could design more areas around mechanics.
Say at first a boss could one-two shot you if you rush towards it. But exploring the map could reveal certain tasks/interacts to weaken it. Similar to how certain task in Izaro fight weaken him in third encounter. From reading the forum I gather that most people enjoy the izaro fight, they just hate the lab. These tasks could be similar to prophecy task .. ie kill this sub boss, find a switch, do a masters side quest, or bring back the roaming packs of exiles from warbands even.
Others can come up with more creative ideas i am sure. Ways to add challenge to the game without the need for unavoidable one shots (note above it can be mitigated).

It would be interesting to know what others would suggest.

Secondly,

There needs to be more reason to explore areas in the game. Most of the time it is just rush through the best layout maps to get the best exp per hour. Hence my suggestion above is tied into thinking about how to address this issue as well.

The idea that max level is far from obtainable is outdated. Most new mmos do not restrict the player from hitting level cap, but instead offer a great deal of content for max level characters. Examples of this can be seen in diablo 3 to some extent, and to a larger extent guild wars 2.
While i would not want poe to become a clone of either, they could look to them for inspiration on how to give players real "progression" through rewarding end game content.

Last bumped on Jul 4, 2016, 11:41:33 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I think the Federal reserve should just give everyone a million bucks. working for something really sucks..
Git R Dun!
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
working for something really sucks..

Considering how menial and unrewarding most people's jobs are (despite their actual skills), yeah, it can suck.

And that's what it's often like here. It's more work than fun to climb to 100, especially solo. So reroll, you might say. But that's also a chore after you've done it a number of times and know what to expect. So people leave the game because it's too tedious/repetitive to strive for the next level or too boring to start over. What keeps people around is variety and a way to flex their creativity without having that flex gated behind too much time/currency.

I think the game is amazing when it comes to the skill tree, gear, hideouts (I love them), combat flow (when you aren't experiencing network hiccups), and consistent updates, but the endgame is lacking unless you love to trade.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Jun 30, 2016, 9:44:00 PM
"
Tempada wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
working for something really sucks..

What keeps people around is variety and a way to flex their creativity without having that flex gated behind too much time/currency.

I think the game is amazing when it comes to the skill tree, gear, hideouts (I love them), combat flow (when you aren't experiencing network hiccups), and consistent updates, but the endgame is lacking

GLad to see i am not the only one,

This is kind of my point too.
The game begins to feel more like work then actual fun after 90. Actually it is worse then work, since i actually enjoy going to my daily job.

The whole idea is that they could expand and implement game concepts that feel more rewarding and engaging if they were not concerned with limiting ppl getting to max level. Let us fill our creativity niche by not limiting but allowing people to hit max level, and start releasing better content for the end game.

I have reached the point where starting over again is dull, and pushing forward is not rewarding enough as one mistake will erase all progress. Of course these mistakes start to happen more often as the game becomes more and more drawn out with the harsher experience peanlties. This is because the cognitive flow i experience from playing the game starts to drop off drastically, and boredom really sets in.

I know i am not alone in this feeling as i see a steady decline in activeness of friends and guild members.

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I think the Federal reserve should just give everyone a million bucks. working for something really sucks..

work in a past time....sure, everyone wants that.
+1, you make a very good case.

Only drawback I see is that something which is currently considered a huge achievement loses that role. Yes, it's a grind achievement, not really a skill achievement, but it is something really special to hit 100. That needs to somehow be replaced by some similar huge grind achievement, but one which does not influence the whole game balance so much.
May your maps be bountiful, exile
"
Tempada wrote:
So people leave the game because it's too tedious/repetitive to strive for the next level or too boring to start over.

And what would you do/what would change once you get to max level? Grinding is not repetitive any more? Suddenly it isn't boring to start over?
"
almostdead wrote:
"
Tempada wrote:
So people leave the game because it's too tedious/repetitive to strive for the next level or too boring to start over.

And what would you do/what would change once you get to max level? Grinding is not repetitive any more? Suddenly it isn't boring to start over?

well that would be part 2 of what would be addressed. They could balance the game around people being at max level and include more end game content. Other games have done it well to encourage players to keep playing their max level character.

They would have to implement more reasons to explore the content. I suppose that is what the current league is trying to address ,but it was implemented poorly on its own. There is too much filler with it.
But what if they refined it to just end game, and increased the life pool and mechanics for the fights. That could be actually interesting to do after reaching max level.

"
nadakuu wrote:

well that would be part 2 of what would be addressed. They could balance the game around people being at max level and include more end game content. Other games have done it well to encourage players to keep playing their max level character.

Or they could just add new content and balance it around level 90?

Edit: Also, Chris did say that next expansion will be focused on end-game.
Last edited by almostdead on Jul 1, 2016, 1:20:37 PM
I don't even care about reaching 100 but leveling past 90 is such a chore with the exp penalty and having to avoid a bunch of bosses due to oneshots.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info