experience penalty for re-running the same map types

Spoiler
sorry if this got suggested before, the idea just came to my mind:

to prevent players running the same maps again and again, making other maps less worth, change the experience formula that running the same map type again in the last 5 maps cycle gives a malus on experience.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Jun 29, 2016, 7:39:23 AM
Last bumped on Jul 5, 2016, 7:29:34 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
How would you define a cycle?
"
How would you define a cycle?

one cycle: the last 5 map types you ran. the number itself is just a suggestion.
I really did not think this Idea will work out. For example, I mostly have a crap load of ( a lot ) of tier 9 Underground river maps, T-10 Chateau, and T-11 Crematorium. about (15 each). I try to run them out and get different and vend some, but for some crazy ass reason, I always get stuck with these maps. Your idea would hurt me very much in exp gain. The penalty would be too much.
Last edited by Ladylunar on Jun 29, 2016, 8:24:30 AM
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough: what do you call running a map? Entering it? Full clearing it? Do the maps have to meet certain conditions to be counted towards the cycle?
"
Ladylunar wrote:
I really did not think this Idea will work out. For example, I mostly have a crap load of ( a lot ) of tier 9 Underground river maps, T-10 Chateau, and T-11 Crematorium. about (15 each). I try to run them out and get different and vend some, but for some crazy ass reason, I always get stuck with these maps. Your idea would hurt me very much in exp gain. The penalty would be too much.

the numbers i stated are pure suggestions: they could make it so that the last 3 maps are evaluated so running two t9 maps would reset your experience.

---

the intention behind the suggestion are:

- slow down progression in high level maps as players often need to go back to lower level maps to avoid the penalty

- prevent players from burning out doing the same maps over and over again

- equalizing of map prices

and it also has interesting side effects on mapping groups.
"
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough: what do you call running a map? Entering it? Full clearing it? Do the maps have to meet certain conditions to be counted towards the cycle?

entering it. everything else would open a vulnerability to go around the limitation.
Yay! More exp penalties. :)
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Actually, I think whatever the chosen solution, the system would still have big issues:
If you make it upon entering a map, then a player can simply open a no-value map, enter, leave, open another no-value map, etc...
If you make it upon full-clearing a map, you open massive experience issues due to missing that one elusive monster somewhere on the map.
And limiting what kind of map to use could create other problems.
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
Yay! More exp penalties. :)

don't ask what the game can do for you, rather ask what you can do to improve the game ;-)

---

eventually it affects all players equally and imho is a slightly better solution to slow down top player's progression than nerfing xp from red maps.

---

there are also soft variants possible like:

1.) the queue resets if you kill the map boss. this combined with easy to clear maps having more difficult bosses ...

2.) doing a successful merciless or uber lab run resets your map queue for the next 10 hours.

yay, more lab runs!!11

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info