Reddit is Going Nuts Over Trade

"
Pizzarugi wrote:
I consider myself a "hybrid" in regards to self-found and trading. The forced interaction with players is one of the major reasons I can't be bothered to set up a shop to peddle my garbage. However, I still trade with other people in order to get items I need. My currency gain is self-found, but most of the good gear I've acquired was done through trading.

I bet if I took the time to set up a shop, I'd probably be a lot wealthier for sure.

We don't need an AH, necessarily. We just need a trade system that removes player interaction. You put your items in a stash tab allocated for trading, set price tag and if someone buys it, it get mailed directly to their stash.

Boom, work is done. You can go about playing the game and frequently check out your stash tab to see if any items had been sold.

I'm the same. I want to play the game not sit around my hideout making trades for a few chaos or alchemy. I still sell things here and there but for the most part, I don't want to spend my time behind a counter and till for digital currency. I'd just get a job at 7/11 is that's what I wanted to do in my leisure time.

But I'm pretty sure GGG is against what you describe. I think they envision this barter town notion where exiles stroll through the market trying to hunt for deals or get that +1. What they don't want is an eBay experience where you just place the order and bam, you get the item. It would be a boon for the players but would basically nullify the entire experience of trading. Not that it's a good experience or one lots want, but it is something that adds another layer to this game. Peel them away and pretty soon people will realize there isn't actually much to do then run the same maps ad nauseum or hope you get some cool T1 drop or a mirror.
Deliver pain exquisite
the funnest thing is that people on reddit have a REALLY hard time understanding why AH with automatic buyout is bad. either that or they simply choose to ignore the concept as outlined by GGG and Chris himself many, many times.
"
grepman wrote:
the funnest thing is that people on reddit have a REALLY hard time understanding why AH with automatic buyout is bad. either that or they simply choose to ignore the concept as outlined by GGG and Chris himself many, many times.

What I have a hard time understanding is how come GGG can be innovative when it comes to making an ARPG, but all of a sudden, can't be innovative to do an AH just because of how it's been done before?

If that's the attitude they have, PoE would never have been made in the first place.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

From what I gather, it's not a matter of innovation. Both sides have pros and cons. I lean more towards the AH side having played other games (granted, no other ARPGs) with automatic trade systems and personally enjoyed them more. That doesn't mean the AH side doesn't come without its own set of problems. I would imagine GGG has spent a lot of time weighing both sides, and it seems they feel the cons of an AH-style system outweigh the pros. It's all a matter of preference; there really isn't a right or wrong answer. It's their game, their rules. They prefer the game with no AH.

That being said, threads like this are good for players to express their own opinions and concerns about each side, and it gives GGG more info on both sides to keep weighing the decisions. As it stands, I would not expect an AH system with PoE any time soon, if ever. If it were up to me, that would be a different story. But it's not up to me, or you, or anyone else. At the end of the day, it's GGG's decision to make. And regardless of whether they opt for an AH in the future or not, either scenario is going to have countless people unhappy with it - as I said, matter of preference and all that.

EDIT: I also want to make it clear - I actually used to be against AH for PoE. Trading has evolved, but the "trading community" has devolved. Closed Beta and even Open Beta to an extent were pretty tight-knit. It was less anonymous, and people were generally friendlier. There weren't established procedures or expectations. Since the introduction of poe.trade, that has changed considerably. Trading is a lot easier in the sense that you can find exactly what you want and in far higher quantity than before, but it has become more difficult in that you have to deal with the "anonymous-asshole" a lot more often.

Since that has changed, my opinion on this game having an AH has changed. That is why I feel discussing this is still a good thing, even if it is not openly up for review by GGG. The game changes, and so do peoples' perspectives of it. GGG may find themselves one day in a similar line of thought. Or they may not. All we can do is voice our opinions on both sides until GGG marks it as a "case closed" matter.
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Jun 29, 2016, 7:35:38 PM
"
"
LOOZING wrote:
GGG is very happy not having to deal with trade. That takes work and employees. They will never ever accept responsibility for that part of the game even though it is mandatory.

What have you done...

Prep your anus for all of the solo self found white knights...

Solo Self found ("White knight?") here.

Trading in this game is as mandatory as Ascendancy Points are. You can do most/all content "fine" without them, but you're letting go of a lot of "fun factor" and power. The more "elements/mechanics" in the game you learn/choose to take advantage of, the more powerful you get. And that is how it should be. I don't think/I hope there's no one out there thinking trading shouldn't yield some sort of advantage. But a lot of players feels balance is tuned TOO much towards trading.

Maybe a overhaul of the trading mechanics would fix this for some, because some SSF players don't trade because of the "chore". But I think most of the SSF players, plays this way because of the challenge and doing things by them self - achieving things for them self - not buying someone else's achievements.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
From what I gather, it's not a matter of innovation. Both sides have pros and cons. I lean more towards the AH side having played other games (granted, no other ARPGs) with automatic trade systems and personally enjoyed them more. That doesn't mean the AH side doesn't come without its own set of problems. I would imagine GGG has spent a lot of time weighing both sides, and it seems they feel the cons of an AH-style system outweigh the pros. It's all a matter of preference; there really isn't a right or wrong answer. It's their game, their rules. They prefer the game with no AH.

That being said, threads like this are good for players to express their own opinions and concerns about each side, and it gives GGG more info on both sides to keep weighing the decisions. As it stands, I would not expect an AH system with PoE any time soon, if ever. If it were up to me, that would be a different story. But it's not up to me, or you, or anyone else. At the end of the day, it's GGG's decision to make. And regardless of whether they opt for an AH in the future or not, either scenario is going to have countless people unhappy with it - as I said, matter of preference and all that.

EDIT: I also want to make it clear - I actually used to be against AH for PoE. Trading has evolved, but the "trading community" has devolved. Closed Beta and even Open Beta to an extent were pretty tight-knit. It was less anonymous, and people were generally friendlier. There weren't established procedures or expectations. Since the introduction of poe.trade, that has changed considerably. Trading is a lot easier in the sense that you can find exactly what you want and in far higher quantity than before, but it has become more difficult in that you have to deal with the "anonymous-asshole" a lot more often.

Since that has changed, my opinion on this game having an AH has changed. That is why I feel discussing this is still a good thing, even if it is not openly up for review by GGG. The game changes, and so do peoples' perspectives of it. GGG may find themselves one day in a similar line of thought. Or they may not. All we can do is voice our opinions on both sides until GGG marks it as a "case closed" matter.

The way it sounds, it's "GGG will never do an AH because of past case scenarios" This reminds me exactly of the Desync manifesto, with Chris saying flatly that lockstep won't work for ARPG's.

Except we have lockstep now, and it does work for ARPG's. I don't look at it as them wringing their hands over the pro's and con's - I look at it as they actually have to sit down and put in the money, man-power and time to make a functioning AH. Whether or not they should do it because of past reasons is no longer a question (as you've pointed out), 2016 PoE is nothing like 2013 PoE.

"
Druga1757 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

What I have a hard time understanding is how come GGG can be innovative when it comes to making an ARPG, but all of a sudden, can't be innovative to do an AH just because of how it's been done before?

If that's the attitude they have, PoE would never have been made in the first place.

poe isnt that innovative

and there isnt an innovation thing with autobuyout AH. its binary - its either there or not. bots snipe shit in 500 msecs, or you have to have a manual interaction that can last from 10 seconds to several minutes (depending on player availability, their response, their location, etc)
"
grepman wrote:
"
Druga1757 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

poe isnt that innovative

and there isnt an innovation thing with autobuyout AH. its binary - its either there or not. bots snipe shit in 500 msecs, or you have to have a manual interaction that can last from 10 seconds to several minutes (depending on player availability, their response, their location, etc)

That's why price tracking is valuable - keeps tracks of sales of items, and when someone puts up an item to be listed, it pops up with the price for equivalent items over the past couple of days, or week, etc. Information is key, and educating sellers goes a long way to help curb bot sniping.

"
Trading has evolved, but the "trading community" has devolved. Closed Beta and even Open Beta to an extent were pretty tight-knit. It was less anonymous, and people were generally friendlier.

yep, it's not "our game" anymore since ggg set out to conquer the world. long gone but fondly remembered.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Druga1757 wrote:

That's why price tracking is valuable - keeps tracks of sales of items, and when someone puts up an item to be listed, it pops up with the price for equivalent items over the past couple of days, or week, etc. Information is key, and educating sellers goes a long way to help curb bot sniping.

you are approaching it from the wrong end imo

manual trade will never be as easy, convenient or fast as auto-buyout trade. thats the point.

first, its so much easier to remove bots abilities than to educate the whole game population on prices. GGG has to keep whole transaction log and perform real-time statistical analysis, which eats a lot of resources.

and even if you do manage educate the population, you have to remember it's not uniform. some people are ok underselling in order to receive currency NOW. and not just noobs. if you have a big ticket item and want some upgrades now, you will sell that item half an exalt less to sell it now.

again, there wont be a condition where a automated buyout would be inferior to manual buyout. no such situation. automation is stronger, bigger, faster and mistake-free (if made by someone who is mistake-free). you will be facing an uphill battle with no solution.

GGGs stance has firmly been no auto buyout, and it's a stand I support 100%. once you introduce autobuyout, it becomes easily the most efficient thing to play the AH and bot. And we all know how obsessed people are with efficiency. The premium stash tabs already made trading extremely more efficient than it used to be.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info