One Regret...

I'm sure there is a reason behind why GGG structured respecs how they did - that being said, one of the worst parts of the game is trudging through the same content over and over again with the same "class".

PoE has some of the best build diversity around, with a massive skill tree and tons of skill gems and support gems, I couldn't ask for more customization. The big problem I have with the current state of respecs is that experimenting with those builds and different options all but requires you to level a new character every time. For people that put a ton of time into the game, thats really not a big deal - but for people that don't play that much, that means they have to pick a build and stick to it.

I'm by no means saying "Diablo 3 is better than PoE", but one thing Blizzard knows how to do consistently is make their games accessible. While I don't think the system Blizzard uses for free respecs all day would work very well for PoE, I DO think that GGG could make trying new builds more accessible. For example, make Regret Orbs give full respecs, or give us a completely different item that requires say 10 regret orbs to make that allows a full respec. I realize a change like this would potentially require changing a lot of quest rewards, but as a relatively casual player who is also really into trying different builds, I think GGG could make full respecs a little more accessible.

Last bumped on Jun 29, 2016, 7:06:32 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
leminlime wrote:
I'm sure there is a reason behind why GGG structured respecs how they did - that being said, one of the worst parts of the game is trudging through the same content over and over again with the same "class".

PoE has some of the best build diversity around, with a massive skill tree and tons of skill gems and support gems, I couldn't ask for more customization. The big problem I have with the current state of respecs is that experimenting with those builds and different options all but requires you to level a new character every time. For people that put a ton of time into the game, thats really not a big deal - but for people that don't play that much, that means they have to pick a build and stick to it.

I'm by no means saying "Diablo 3 is better than PoE", but one thing Blizzard knows how to do consistently is make their games accessible. While I don't think the system Blizzard uses for free respecs all day would work very well for PoE, I DO think that GGG could make trying new builds more accessible. For example, make Regret Orbs give full respecs, or give us a completely different item that requires say 10 regret orbs to make that allows a full respec. I realize a change like this would potentially require changing a lot of quest rewards, but as a relatively casual player who is also really into trying different builds, I think GGG could make full respecs a little more accessible.

While I do think regret orbs should drop a little more frequently, allowing easy respecs would take away the sense of building a character for many players.

One thing GGG has typically done at the beginning of new leagues is give all characters the option of a full reset. If you have a couple or more older characters from previous leagues that you don't play anymore, you can use them to try out a new build.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
DalaiLama wrote:

While I do think regret orbs should drop a little more frequently, allowing easy respecs would take away the sense of building a character for many players.

+1, exactly this. It should be expensive to respec, but a little easier than it is now for casual players. Maybe character age (since last respec) could count somehow. This would force you to really try fixing your char before you give up and respec. Dunno...
May your maps be bountiful, exile
Yeah it's silly. I dont give a crap about regrets I've spent over 300 in a league once fucking around trying to optimize. And went right back to what I started with LMAO.

All it does is kick the little guy the casual in the nuts for no good reason since he's least experienced.

I'd give unlimited respecs but for sure you should start with a "bank" of 2 when starting this game
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 29, 2016, 2:06:08 AM
And personally I think they shouldn't drop at all. I think the only way to get respec points should be through quests meaning there would be a limited number of respec points per character.

They need to make iterating a build idea through multiple characters and rerolling in general more appealing rather than making it easier for characters to respec indefinitely.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
And personally I think they shouldn't drop at all. I think the only way to get respec points should be through quests meaning there would be a limited number of respec points per character.

They need to make iterating a build idea through multiple characters and rerolling in general more appealing rather than making it easier for characters to respec indefinitely.

Bad idea. Everyone would be afraid to fail and just go FOTM. More than now even.

Not to mention would kill off casuals completely. My brother is like 26 3 kids works 60 hours a week with a needy ass wife just made to to like 85 after a year. If I told him that was his one shot he would not have even played.
Git R Dun!
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:

Thank god you're not running this company.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
"
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:

Thank god you're not running this company.

lol

I would definitely cull some casuals, but the results would be a haven for the hardcore gamer.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:

I would definitely cull some casuals, but the results would be a haven for the hardcore gamer.

You should keep in mind that most "hard-core" players start of "casual". People first try a game and if it manages to capture their attention after a bit of playing, they will increase their play time. If not, they will leave.
So anything which prevents an easy start into POE is poison for all its players, not just the casuals.
May your maps be bountiful, exile
"
DalaiLama wrote:

One thing GGG has typically done at the beginning of new leagues is give all characters the option of a full reset. If you have a couple or more older characters from previous leagues that you don't play anymore, you can use them to try out a new build.

I get what you're saying, but allowing respecs is not the same as requiring respecs. If some players want to feel the progression of a character again they can still level a new character if they want to. What I'm suggesting is offering an alternative to players who don't have the time to re level a character every time they want to try a different build. There is so much build diversity in PoE - its a shame so few people get to really experience just how diverse builds can be.

Honestly, if there were free respecs, I would feel a lot more confident trying out homebrew builds instead of automatically looking for a premade build for fear of messing up a character. As it stands now, even when I see a skill / support combo that looks interesting and I think I can make a build around, I don't try it unless someone else has. I simply don't have time to make characters from scratch that Im not sure will work - and likely won't work while i'm learning theorycrafting. I'd even be happy if they only offered this in standard and left temp leagues as is. That way at least the average player would feel comfortable experimenting.

And about having old characters and the existing new league resets - this is a good step in the right direction but still doesn't change the fact that trying a new build would require either waiting several months (and still being confined to the same starting class), or re rolling a new character.
Last edited by leminlime on Jun 29, 2016, 7:50:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info