New Player looking for kickstart

So I'm getting the impression that this game can be really difficult to play, so I'm hoping someone would be nice enough to help me get started by sharing some information. You know, links to sites you use to figure stuff out, places to go for farming, and that sort of stuff. Pointers for things to do, look out for, that stuff.

I've done some research. It looks like I'll have a lot of trouble setting up my loot filter. So if someone would be willing to help me set that up, I'm absolutely terrible at computer stuff. I can figure out navigating websites and opening my email but I can't understand how scripting works.
"
So I'm getting the impression that this game can be really difficult to play, so I'm hoping someone would be nice enough to help me get started by sharing some information. You know, links to sites you use to figure stuff out, places to go for farming, and that sort of stuff. Pointers for things to do, look out for, that stuff.

I've done some research. It looks like I'll have a lot of trouble setting up my loot filter. So if someone would be willing to help me set that up, I'm absolutely terrible at computer stuff. I can figure out navigating websites and opening my email but I can't understand how scripting works.

Hey buddy, I'm new as well.. but might be able to help a little at least.

If you're completely new, which it sounds like you are, I almost wouldn't bother with a loot filter yet until you get into maps. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion. Otherwise, the one I had found, all you had to do was copy/paste the info from the filter into a file. It was easy, I suck at computers too.

All the information you should need to learn the game, seems to be right in these forums. If you don't want to try to blast through the game once until you get stuck, pick a class in the subforums and then find a build you think sounds cool and follow it the best you can.

If you're not that new, I apologize. When it came to farming, I just found maps that worked for me. Dried lake, Ledge and tropical island were my favorites because they were easy and I could do them so fast.
Hey there, I am by no means a professional l33t player, but feel free to message me in-game anytime, I find it easier to help if I know which questions you have.

Cheers!
Rejoice in the glory of combat!
The best things I find to send new players towards are POE.Trade and the POE Wiki. Both are invaluable for helping new players get a handle on mechanics and value.

- Sheepster
@frenzul:
Well I want a loot filter because of two reasons. First, that there seems to be a lot of "trash" loot, unlike Diablo 3 (which I play off and on). Second, that I like having a fast experience. I don't want to bother having to figure out which items are important or which items have which sockets. I want to be able to sort out which items have more sockets prior to my picking them up.

@RavanaFourFold:
I'm looking for general pointers right now. I don't want to start one class and find out I won't enjoy it later on because of a mechanic. For instance, I don't want to do a necromancer because it'll take so many sockets to get all of those minions and supports up and running. I'd rather have to worry about one skill and its supports at a time; an item per ability, basically.

Hope that helps. But if you still can't help with general stuff I'll add you later for in-game questions.

@Nssheepster:
I found the wiki. POE.Trade seems like it might take a little figuring out to do. What do some of those options mean, like "normalize quality", "crafted", "enchanted", and "level/tier"?
Yeah sure, I can help with general pointers, as for classes, only ascendancies change between classes (and those are recent). And starting point on the passive tree; So that really depends on your playstyle, I personally would recommend an Attack build, I like Reave a LOT as well as Cyclone and Lacerate, for that you can go Ranger, Shadow, or Duelist. Feel free to ask more questions directly to me in the thread too!

Cheers!
Hi,

Everyone has given good tips, I would like to add there are some good streamers also who made good videos that will help you understand the game. I would recommend checking out Ziggyd, liftingnerdbro, hegemony videos, they are pretty nice videos.

Cheers!
Hello and welcome!

"
@frenzul:
Well I want a loot filter because of two reasons. First, that there seems to be a lot of "trash" loot, unlike Diablo 3 (which I play off and on). Second, that I like having a fast experience. I don't want to bother having to figure out which items are important or which items have which sockets. I want to be able to sort out which items have more sockets prior to my picking them up.

This thread contains everything you could possibly want to know about loot filters. Notably for you, if you scroll down to the second post there is a list of premade loot filters that are recommended for general use. I don't use it personally, but Neversink's is the one that is almost universally suggested to newer players.

"
@RavanaFourFold:
I'm looking for general pointers right now. I don't want to start one class and find out I won't enjoy it later on because of a mechanic. For instance, I don't want to do a necromancer because it'll take so many sockets to get all of those minions and supports up and running. I'd rather have to worry about one skill and its supports at a time; an item per ability, basically.

Most builds use one or two primary damage skills, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Would you rather follow a build guide or go your own way? The latter will teach you more about the game and maybe be more satisfying, but you will also likely make a lot of mistakes and potentially have to start over a couple of times while you figure things out. Also, do you have a preference of playstyle?

"
@Nssheepster:
I found the wiki. POE.Trade seems like it might take a little figuring out to do. What do some of those options mean, like "normalize quality", "crafted", "enchanted", and "level/tier"?

Most things you'll learn more about as you play. "Normalise quality" is the exception from that list. Quality is a stat that can be applied to various items to increase their base stats. In this case the toggle is mainly relevant to weapons (where 1% quality increases physical damage by 1%) and armour (where 1% quality increases defenses by 1%). All it does is calculate what stats an item with no quality would have at 20% quality (the max) and display those instead. You want to leave this option on.

Also, while poe.trade is basically mandatory to use unless you don't want to trade at all, there is no need to worry about it until you hit level 60 or so. It's easiest to just play self-found and learn the rest of the game first.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
@RavanaFourFold:
I'm looking at the Marauder Juggernaut. Alternatively the Witch Elementalist.

@Tereng:
I saw some of Ziggy's videos but I can't stand his voice. He seems like he is a nice guy and knows the game.

@viperesque:
Thanks, but I'd like to personalize it to my liking. I'm almost certain I won't be able to modify it without me messing it up somehow.

I just want something that can do at least most of the game and doesn't mess up because I don't get a specific drop. From what I understand, drops are totally random and that means that the only way to get specific uniques is by trading. I'm not into trading and prefer to play as solo as possible, but I will do what I have to to enjoy a game. Following a guide isn't a problem.

Other things that might help:
• Something that is easy to gear. I get the impression that gearing a character can be difficult or it can be easy to mess up. A character that is easy to gear would be wonderful.
• I don't care too much about clear speed, so I want something that can go deathless. I've stumbled across a few threads where they said that dying once took away days worth of progression to the next level. I'd rather take twice as long on something rather than do it ten times over. xD
• Something that is flexible. I've read up in the wiki and noticed that "totem" damage could apply to fire, cold, and lightning spells. All I'd have to do is switch out the spell to change my damage type, so that kind of flexibility would be nice. The only problem I see with that is the Chieftain only has 1% leech from one of his Ascendancy skills-would that be enough or would I have to use a direct skill to supplement my leeching?

Overall, I guess I'm looking at a Marauder character off the bat. But some uniques, like the Incandescent Heart, kinda make me want to make a character that uses Chaos Inoculation (25% free mitigation to elemental damage :D). I kinda want to use Incandescent Heart with Darkscorn, but it seems like the damage wouldn't work in the late game. I mean, 25% of all damage being mitigated because I'm immune to its conversion seems really good to me. Could something like that work?

Quick question. I noticed some passive skills that say "increased defences from equipped shield", does this mean it increases only the armor, evasion, or energy shield it has? Would this mean I could make a character that could swap between armor and evasion depending on which boss I'm fighting? That kind of versatility would be really fun.
Well, the kind of flexibility you're talking about is not necessary if you decide to go a phys damage build, since the armor formula in this game goes: The higher the hit's damage, the less armor is able to mitigate it, therefore, stacking armor will totally mitigate a, say, 1000 damage hit, but wont do much against a 10k hit.

As for requiring uniques, that's nothing to worry about unless you get too gimmicky in the build's mechanics, and Juggernaut sounds like it'd be fun and can be flexible about gear, I was thinking of creating one myself (that attack speed per accuracy node is fun!).

You will also only lose day's worth of progression if you die at high levels (over 90), lastly, as for your CI (Chaos Innoculation) question, yes, damage taken as chaos will be 0 if you have it.

Also, increased defences mean increased defensive stats the base items can grant, so increased defenses equals: Increased Energy Shield, Evasion, and Armor.
Last edited by RavanaFourFold on Jun 27, 2016, 9:32:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info