Playing PoE from China...

In a nutshell, I've been playing PoE on and off since 2013; started in Europe during a holiday and then continued to play from China where I currently work.

Are there any "tricks" allowing us to play without being constantly d/c?
Basically, Garena servers are horrible, and the only Official GGG server available seems to be the invisible "Singapore".
I must be doing something wrong because I'm getting huge lag spikes and getting dc so much that I can't even complete a map. My PC is high end and my internet also very reliable (50mb fiber with 10mb upload).

So I'm here trying to complete the lab to get my ascendancy points and I get dc after killing Izaro a second time. Yeah, that gets on your nerves very quickly.

Any other player in the same situation? Anyone find a workaround to this?
Best Solution so far seems to connect to Euro servers through a VPN, but of course this is rather unreliable, some days I can play without a single DC, sometimes I keep getting booted and can't play more than 5 minutes.

I am aware that a Localized version by Tencent is coming out soon (currently in closed beta) but there is no English language available amd apprently it's a pay2win system (not surprised). Kinda frustrating not to be able to play after spending a couple hundred $$$ to support the game over the past 3 years...
Last bumped on Jun 27, 2016, 10:51:03 PM
Go here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1377789

DL version 0.9.2 of WinMTR, enter your chosen gateway and run it while you play/have the problem, 300 seconds or more(however long it takes to DC)

Might not even be a DC or your connection, could be an instance crash which is more common(end result being you are put the the login screen)
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Thank you kindly; I will try that as soon as I get home!

You reminded one other thing: I haven't tried to play through my modem directly without using the router.
I actually had this problem a while back when playing Diablo 3 and the problem disappeared when I connected via modem directly.

I will test both later tonight
Last edited by Emailbox911 on Jun 27, 2016, 4:57:08 AM
Hmm, any idea what the Singapore gateway address is by any chance? It doesn't seem to be in the list after followed the WinMTR link...

Edit: If I unplug my router and try to play directly through my modem, it appears that I have no lag at all using the Singapore gateway. However, I did get "disconnected" or "booted back to main screen". Everything stops moving like I d/c and then back to main screen.

Latency is much better though.

Wanna try the WinMTR program but I am not sure about the Singapore address
Last edited by Emailbox911 on Jun 27, 2016, 8:34:27 AM
hmmm

Task manager > Performance > Resource monitor > Network (TCP Connections)

The IP address should show up there once you're connected through the Singapore gateway.
IGN is Lightwoods. Twitch.tv/woodspoe
Last edited by Lightwoods on Jun 27, 2016, 8:45:41 AM
TBH I just gave up on the SP gateway and use California. GGG obviously doesn't care about connection quality to that gateway since they've sold rights to Garena, it sucks but that's the way things are for us in Garena's territory.

California might be worse for you than it is for me, but anything under 200ms is still better than dying once a day to random disconnects.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
When i'm in Japan, i usually use the Texas realm. I have 150ms ping versus the 90/100 from singapore but it's usually way more stable. Can't play lockstep when i'm in Japan though as i makes the game super cluncky and not responsive/smooth.
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
Try and change the IP address. Different IP address ranges goes through different locations.
i.e. some IP addresses are better. Look for the starting 3 numbers.(and memorize them if you can) Reset the router,modem or reconnect to get a favourable range.

Secondly, different ISP have completely different network performances. One of them provides <50 ping, the other one is like >150 with certain packet loss.
(The one with <50 ping is 中國移動 iirc, but no gaurantees!)

However, that is just POE. If you play another game, the "POE-laggy" ISP might outperform the other one by loads.

I don't know if you live with someone else, but when I was in China, me and my roommate used two different ISPs with WIFI routers, so I just switched around when I played different games.

(Last but not least, I always had the router administration page in browser opened so I can monitor if the ip address is in the favourable range. To make things worse, a certain IP range may work fine for 2 weeks, then the previous worse ranges might be better for another 2 weeks. Enjoy the RNG!)
Last edited by shoshinsha on Jun 27, 2016, 3:00:53 PM
"
Emailbox911 wrote:
Hmm, any idea what the Singapore gateway address is by any chance? It doesn't seem to be in the list after followed the WinMTR link...

Edit: If I unplug my router and try to play directly through my modem, it appears that I have no lag at all using the Singapore gateway. However, I did get "disconnected" or "booted back to main screen". Everything stops moving like I d/c and then back to main screen.

Latency is much better though.

Wanna try the WinMTR program but I am not sure about the Singapore address

If you go into the client text file after you log in it will give you the IP address down at the bottom (might take a moment to open though as it can be quite large for a text file)

"
gilrad wrote:
TBH I just gave up on the SP gateway and use California. GGG obviously doesn't care about connection quality to that gateway since they've sold rights to Garena

They are paying for it so they care as much about it as any other server, problem with Singapore and AU is that the general connectivity in the area is pretty shit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info