How I learned to love the labyrinth and why this shows that we need something else entirely

Perhaps without traps and without deaths.
I'd wager that a build designed specifically for uber labs is extremely effective at staying alive in it.
I've been one shot and two shotted three times thus far by izaro on my 10k (well 9.7k or something like that) ES WI witch.

I also have to slug through traps much slower than most because I can't whirling blades.

It just sucks the fun out of it when you have traps that slow you down, bosses that can randomly gib you when you greatly overgear it (lets face it, that phys damage is too high for anything but those ridiculous high endurance charge builds) and you have to start from scratch (and lose your offering) on death.

Why is it that I can't portal out and sell stuff when I want like virtually 99.99999% of the content I do? Why is it that I only get one portal instead of 6 like in maps? Why is it that most of the traps seem to serve only to make the experience longer (Where death comes from impatience typically)? Why is it that I don't have any checkpoints at all?

Perhaps another issue I have with the izaro fights is that you have to wait for the traps/shrines to activate (they come out 1 by 1 for some reason) and the fact that I can't use vaal discipline on the fights (seriously GGG, this is the one thing that makes ES reasonably tanky) because it resets my vaal souls when I go in (Why? What point does this serve? Why do we segregate/punish builds that use vaal souls?).
Last edited by shaunus on Jun 26, 2016, 9:52:49 PM
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
If the best way to deal with the traps is to invalidate or circumvent the challenge they present then that to me represents a failure in design imho. It's one thing to overcome a challenge, it's another to circumvent it to a large enough degree that it no longer represents that same challenge.

I can't help but read this and think they need to buff traps so they retain their challenge across all builds.

Which is basically the core aspect of the game. You do the same with other content. Run a build that facerolls everything. Measure of performance is clear time.
Traps have the same problem. Either they are completely redundant or they make certain builds completely invalid. The problem with the latter is that it's the same design for everyone wheras with maps I can choose which ones to run. Well technically you can skip the lab, but that doesn't make its problems any less worse.
The labyrinth, as it's designed, is the least enjoyable aspect of the game.

Issues, in order of what makes the lab so tedious:

- Traps. They're not so much difficult as they are annoying and time wasting. Everything fun about your build goes on hold, and with ES builds with vaal pact it's especially awful. Some are difficult, but for reasons that are clearly random. Get one of those wonderful multi dart totem/spike floor/wall layouts where you didn't spot a 3 dart on a long CD? Ugh.

- The amount of time you must sink into a run with such binary pass/fail mechanics. Helping a friend with lab and one of the traps catch them by surprise just before the last Izaro fight? Have fun walking them through 14 zones all over again. Yay.

- The rewards are terrible. There are too many enchants to rely on the current system. Even worse is if you have an item you use with the merc enchant and want the uber increase. You may permanently remove all your benefit chasing that 15%. That's not compelling. That's punishing. And the loot, especially uber lab, just does not match the time commitment. You earn so little xp during the time you play that the loot after all the of the silent nerfs makes it just as unappealing as the labs were before.

I know there are people out there who enjoy the lab. More power to them. I know none of them. Granted, my sample size is small and I'm likely to be friendly with people similar to me, but there is no one on my list who enjoys the lab. More than that really. There is no one on my list who does not -hate- the lab.

Itemizing lab rewards, including ascendancy points, would be an amazing solution. Those who enjoy the lab run the lab and profit from it. Those who do not, do not have to run it but still must spend the reward from efforts elsewhere to obtain it from those who do.
"
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Meh, labyrinth is no fun if you trivialize it. Learning to counter all Izaro's mechanics and to navigate the whole labyrinth quickly is where the fun is.

What you described is exactly what "trivializing it" means

ahhaah, yeah i was like wtf is he talking about he literally contradicted himself in the next sentence, like WUT? What an innocent cute sweetheart
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
There is a big difference between using DPS and learning the mechanics. But whatever, enjoy your circlejerk. It's not like GGG is going to hear you ever. It would give the precedent of people being extremely annoying to change stuff. Enjoy your Frogger-Prince of Persia hybrid.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Jun 27, 2016, 2:21:15 AM
"
UnleashedPoE wrote:
The labyrinth, as it's designed, is the least enjoyable aspect of the game.

Issues, in order of what makes the lab so tedious:

- Traps. They're not so much difficult as they are annoying and time wasting. Everything fun about your build goes on hold, and with ES builds with vaal pact it's especially awful. Some are difficult, but for reasons that are clearly random. Get one of those wonderful multi dart totem/spike floor/wall layouts where you didn't spot a 3 dart on a long CD? Ugh.

- The amount of time you must sink into a run with such binary pass/fail mechanics. Helping a friend with lab and one of the traps catch them by surprise just before the last Izaro fight? Have fun walking them through 14 zones all over again. Yay.

- The rewards are terrible. There are too many enchants to rely on the current system. Even worse is if you have an item you use with the merc enchant and want the uber increase. You may permanently remove all your benefit chasing that 15%. That's not compelling. That's punishing. And the loot, especially uber lab, just does not match the time commitment. You earn so little xp during the time you play that the loot after all the of the silent nerfs makes it just as unappealing as the labs were before.

I know there are people out there who enjoy the lab. More power to them. I know none of them. Granted, my sample size is small and I'm likely to be friendly with people similar to me, but there is no one on my list who enjoys the lab. More than that really. There is no one on my list who does not -hate- the lab.

Itemizing lab rewards, including ascendancy points, would be an amazing solution. Those who enjoy the lab run the lab and profit from it. Those who do not, do not have to run it but still must spend the reward from efforts elsewhere to obtain it from those who do.

I dont mind labs too much but I find myself having to turn off my netflex, make sure no prons are loading and reboot PC is needed when I do labs. Because most of the time I die in labs are due to lag spike of my character standing on saw or death roomba frozen for 10 seconds and die... and I don't use automatic logout bots because I don't play HC.

And what's worse sometimes I will be standing still at izaro door and go get a drink when I walk back I was randomly DC'ed. That lovely feeling you know... especially lovely when it happens to me at uber lab and I am running low on the goddess.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
"
But I *really* miss times in 1.3 when I just wanted to chill and map, and that was the end game.

And you can't do that anymore, because...?

The Lab does not replace maps, but complement them.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
The loot in this game seems low compared to a marvel heroes image i seen lol

But in that game you can set it to feed all useless items other then unique/medkits so your pet gains stats from them so you dont see it all
every time my vaal pact ranger gets stuck in a corner of the uber lab trials with flasks empty and life gone low and no monster in sight, i feel the strong urge to join my gf watching the european football championship...
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info