How I learned to love the labyrinth and why this shows that we need something else entirely

My attitude towards the lab used to be: I do it because I want those precious ascendendy points and because I need some enchantments. I never really liked it, the traps were just too annoying and uber Izaro in stage three is quite a gamble for many of my chars.

Then I saw Angryaa's built for an uber lab farmer (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1683083) and decided to give it a try. I simpy had a blast with running uber lab the last couple of days. It really is like "One more turn ...." - I can't stop running the lab one more time.

Then I started thinking: what changed? And the main answer is: the built allows me to ignore all traps (unless you really, really screw up). So, the lab started being fun once the traps were taken out of the equation to a large degree. Getting familar with a new layout each day, improving speed and the build to increase speed, that satisfying feeling, when you open four boxes (I just love my loot filter going crazy in the axcendancy room) and the enchantment lottery are really, really addictive.

If only I could do that with my other chars as well ...

So, what did I learn? Remove the traps or make ignoring them a build challenge (for exampe, do not scale their damage with HP/ES, so that you can actually build in a way that allows you to be reasonable safe). Problem solved, everyone will love the lab.

Two additional random points: (1) why not do an endless dungeon with increasing difficulty instead of the lab? I guess a lot of the work done for the lab could be reused for that. (2) we absolutely NEED an item sink. The crazy loot from uber lab has already led to a collapse of the market for all the stuff you get from uber lab.

Last bumped on Jun 27, 2016, 8:08:18 AM
If the best way to deal with the traps is to invalidate or circumvent the challenge they present then that to me represents a failure in design imho. It's one thing to overcome a challenge, it's another to circumvent it to a large enough degree that it no longer represents that same challenge.

I can't help but read this and think they need to buff traps so they retain their challenge across all builds.
You only love it because they bribed us to play it with loot explosion at the end. Boss in uninteresting so are traps.
Git R Dun!
I made a thread highlighting this exact issue pretty much, you just worded it from a different point of view but in the end, leads to the same conclusions. Some builds purely trivialize lab and can reap all the rewards endlessly with no risk, whilst with some builds it's not even worth the ascendancy points.

CI occultist is also another offender along with general strength/regen/armour builds with its unstoppable ES regen ascendancy making you unkillable to traps.
Last edited by Z_Fighters on Jun 26, 2016, 3:17:42 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
You only love it because they bribed us to play it with loot explosion at the end. Boss in uninteresting so are traps.

Pretty much. Lab is aids but at least now, you get some reward for your time.

RIP Emperor's Trove 2016-2016
RIP 2x Goddess from Treasure Chest

"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
If the best way to deal with the traps is to invalidate or circumvent the challenge they present then that to me represents a failure in design imho. It's one thing to overcome a challenge, it's another to circumvent it to a large enough degree that it no longer represents that same challenge.

I can't help but read this and think they need to buff traps so they retain their challenge across all builds.

+1

Basically people running Lab are either 20K armor/10 Endurance Charge tanks or stuff like Pajama's Zoom build. Yes, you can do it with ES or EVA chars, but a lot less forgiving if you fuck up.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Giving a shitload of loot so ppl shut up can be compared to bribing and forcing a different attitude towards the lab

Grats on your personality trait...u like being bought
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on Jun 26, 2016, 6:07:11 AM
Same with me I wouldn't even attempt the lab I used to die against normal Izaro with a level 80 scion.

Now Ubber Izaro dies in 5 seconds the poor guy. He gets it in the ass at maximum efficiency now.
Look how Awesome my MTX Marauder RF looks

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1695395
A lot of loot, Endgame Challenge in Uber Lab, Pale Court being gated behind a Lab Clear...

I honestly get the feeling they're trying to artificially inflate numbers to support the Lab.
Builds with fast attack speed + whirling blade r op there as well. For one ex u get now almost double currency used for crafting maps.
"
ventiman wrote:
Giving a shitload of loot so ppl shut up can be compared to bribing and forcing a different attitude towards the lab

Grats on your personality trait...u like being bought

That's overly harsh. Everyone's got a price. Even you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info