[2.3] Thundercane: Mjolner Uber Atziri Farmer

WITHOUT FLASKS:
- 6.0 Attacks Per Second (Molten Strike/Lightning Strike)
- 5,000 HP
- 25k Armor (70% phys reduc without charges, 90% with charges)
- 88% Maximum Fire Resistance
- 80% Maximum Cold Resistance
- 87% Maximum Lightning Resistance
- Cannot Be Frozen
- Cannot Be Stunned
- Resistant to Elemental Reflect
- Immune to Physical Reflect
- 10 Endurance Charges / 3 Power Charges
- 280 Life Regeneration per second (450 with charges and Fortify)

Offence
Defence

Hey all, Dimensi0n here! I’m back for summer break and I’m updating my old Thundercane build for 2.3! Note: This is not a build for beginners! It is not cheap and the build requires many uniques that shouldn’t be replaced with other items. The rares for this build are fairly easy to put together because you aren’t too restricted by resistances. The tree and uniques provide a fair amount of resistances already. If you do not have a legacy Mjolner or cannot afford one, don't fret! You can use the regular Mjolner for this build and it works just fine (although I recommend upgrading to a legacy version when you can).

Foundation

Back before 2.0 hit, I had been playing many different Mjolner builds (life based, lowlife, resolute technique, different crit variants, righteous fire, etc) and had tried many different setups with this godly hammer, including Tom94’s famous Rainbownuke. There have been plenty of new Mjolner build guides since the release of 2.0 and even more since 2.3 was released. Each build had some strong points and some weak points. During 2.0, I made a build that took the strong points of each build and combine them all together into one ultimate Mjolner build! But now, with the release of 2.3 and Ascendancy classes, things have gotten even better!

Havoc6’s Life Crit Mjolner was one of my favorite Mjolner builds to play because it was so elegant and simple, yet so ferocious and fast. One of its strong points was the 87% maximum resistances it provided and it was, to my surprise, quite noticeable. While the elemental resistance was phenomenal, the physical damage reduction was mediocre (although it had a ton of evasion to compensate). Though, I prefer to stay away from evasion because it’s RNG based while armor is not.

Another build worth noting is sgw9426’s Heavy Armor Mjolner. This build made it very clear how safe and reliable stacking armor can be, especially when farming Uber Atziri. He took Iron Reflexes and ran Grace to get a very large amount of armor and this is what we will be doing.

By uniting the best parts of each build, we can run 88/80/87% maximum resistances, 20k armor for 70% physical damage reduction (90% with Endurance Charges), and perma 9 Endurance Charges with the Ascendancy skills. Along with all of this awesomeness, we still get a fair amount of life (5,000 HP) and extremely good attack speed (6.0 with Molten Strike/Lightning Strike). But that's not all! We are immune to elemental reflect and physical reflect and we cannot be frozen (Alpha's Howl) or stunned (Unwavering Stance).

Changes to 2.3

With the release of Blasphemy, we can now use Elemental Weakness as an aura which gives us an extremely large DPS boost (even more than Wrath. If an enemy has resistance, for example 50%, then Elemental Weakness essentially "doubles" our damage by removing all of its resistance (instead of taking half the damage, it now takes all of it). If the enemy were to have 75% resistance, elemental weakness would have bumped it down from 75% to 25% essentially "tripling" our damage. The more resistance an enemy has, the more effective Elemental Weakness becomes. "doubling" and "tripling" our damage is much better than the 20% more damage you get from Wrath. But what if the enemy has 0% resistance? If an enemy with 0% resistance is cursed with Elemental Weakness, it causes it to take X% more damage (multiplicatively), where X is how far below 0 its resistance is.

When we run this (along with Grace, Purity of Fire, and Purity of Lightning), we actually end up with leftover mana which is enough to sustain our attacks on. This means that we do not have to use Blood Magic anymore! This means we get an extra slot in our 6L! So what do we do with 1 extra slot? We fill that extra slot with Lightning Strike for fast map clearing! If you read the Rainbownuke build, you all know how powerful Lightning Strike is with Mjolner.

Since we no longer run on Blood Magic, we fill the 4th gem slot in our Alpha's Howl with Enlighten since we no longer run Wrath. This makes it a little easier to sustain on mana. A level 3 Enlighten will give us over 100 mana to work with. I did test this and I never run out of mana, even on solo bosses like Atziri. But this yields another question: How then do we sustain mana? We use a +2 mana gain on hit jewel. Before you jump to questions, yes this is 100% safe! I tested this and you can last forever spamming Molten Strike on bosses and you will never drop 50 mana below your maximum mana pool. This is because you gain more mana back than what it costs to attack.

Summary of what changed to the 2.3 version of the build:
Wrath —> Elemental Weakness = Increase in DPS
Blood Magic —> Mana = More reliable and more gem sockets
Iron Will —> Fire Penetration = Increase in DPS
Arc —> Discharge = Increase in DPS
But this is not all that has improved since 2.3, we still have Ascendancy skills!

Ascendancy

This is the reason Mjolner builds have been brought back now! The Juggernaut class provides an insane buff to us through its Ascendancy skills. We take Unyielding, Unflinching, and Unrelenting. First off, whenever we have Fortify up (which is almost always) we get 30% increased damage, 1.5% life regeneration, and 25% increased effect of Fortify! Pretty awesome, right? Another bonus is that we get +1 to Maximum Endurance Charge.

The huge buff that Juggernaut provides is this: If you would gain Endurance Charges, you instead gain up to your maximum number of Endurance Charges. Now this is just insane. Since we always have 9 Endurance Charges up, it gives us 54% increased damage (Unrelenting), 1.8% life regeneration (passive tree), a lot more physical damage reduction, super long Immortal Call durations, 900 life gained per discharge, and just a load more DPS!

You should use this build if:

You want the fastest map clearing speed
You enjoy playing carelessly
You want obsurd tankiness
You want quick and easy farming
You love puppies

Pros
- Insane DPS
- Extremely tanky
- Fast clear speeds
- Can do Uber Atziri
- Immune to Elemental Reflect
- Immune to Physical Reflect
- Takes no skill to use
- Can run every map mod
Cons
- Expensive
- Can't play on a toaster
- Many parties don't like dischargers

This build requires 6 items:

How exactly does this build work?
Whenever we attack an enemy, we gain a power charge from Romira's Banquet. Each time we attack, we have a chance to cast our socketed Mjolner gem: Discharge. If we fail to proc Mjolner, we gain another power charge. If we do proc Mjolner, then Discharge consumes all the power charges Romira's Banquet generated and deals damage to nearby enemies. When this happens, our Voll's Devotion generates Endurance Charges equal to the number of power charges that were consumed, but this will always turn into 9 thanks to Unrelenting. This sets us up with even more damage for our next discharge.
What do we use to proc Mjolner?
Whenever we attack an enemy, we have a 50% chance to cast our socketed lightning spells. The goal is to get as many "on hit" procs as we can, so we use Molten Strike. This gem shoots out 3 molten shells that can "hit" an enemy and proc the Mjolner. If we link Greater Multiple Projectiles with it, we get 7 molten shells. Assuming that all of the molten shells hit the enemy (which is usually the case when you are bossing) 50% of the 7 molten shells will proc Mjolner and cast Discharge 3.5 times. With 6.0 attacks per second (thanks to Multistrike and Faster Attacks), we discharge 3.5 x 6.0 = 21 times per second. This is assuming we are only hitting 1 target. For multiple targets and packs, we use Lightning Strike for the obsurd number of procs it provides when attacking a pack.
How do we get +7% to maximum resistances from purities?
We need to have both our purities level 23 in order to make the base +5% to maximum resistance. We accomplish this by using level 21 purities and socketing them in Alpha's Howl, which grants them 2 more levels. To get them to +7%, we need to have 40% increased aura effect because 5 x 1.4 = 7. Anything below 40% increased aura effect will not get us up to +7%.
Why so much armor if we capped 90% already?
Even though it says 90% estimated physical damage reduction, it does not mean that we get 90% physical damage reduction on physical hits. It’s simply an estimation of how much physical damage you mitigate based on an average attack. I see a lot of people get 10k armor and 9 Endurance Charges and call it good because they see that it says 90% physical damage reduction. Armor does not work like that. The more damage you take, the more armor you need to prevent a percentage of it. For example if you get hit by 100 physical damage, you need about 1,000 armor to block half the damage, but if you get hit by 1,000 physical damage, you will need 10,000 armor to block half the damage. When it comes to bosses that deal a load of physical damage, 10k armor and 9 endurance charges won’t save you. 20k armor and 9 endurance charges will. Although 10k armor and 20k armor both say 90% reduction, they are completely different when you are bossing. There is no such thing as capping physical damage reduction. The more armor you have, the larger the physical damage you can take in a hit.

Level 60
Level 70
Level 80
Level 90
Level 100

Sovereignty, Champion of the Cause, Charisma, and those two aura nodes above Harrier are all very important nodes in this tree. They accumulate a total of 40% increased aura effect which allows us to get +7% to maximum resistances from our level 23 purities. 5 x 1.4 = 7. Calculations regarding aura effect are not rounded up so anything below 40% increased aura effect will not get us to +7%. They are also needed to give us a total of 34% reduced mana reserved which allows us to run the 3 auras (with Alpha's Howl) and Elemental Weakness with just enough mana to work with. (Aura Calculator)

Bandits
Normal: Oak (+40 life)
Cruel: Kraityn (+8% attack speed)
Merciless: Oak (+1 Endurance Charge)

Ascendancy
Normal: Unflinching
Cruel: Unrelenting
Merciless: Unyielding
Uber: Unbreakable (remove Unwavering Stance)

Jewels
Brute Force Solution is needed and should be placed in the socket closest to the starting point (near Berserking).
You need at least 1 jewel with +2 mana gain on hit in order to sustain mana.
What you're looking for is mostly just attack speed and some STR and INT to make up the last bit of attribute requirements.

My current gear

Weapon: Mjolner is used because, well… yeah.

Shield: Saffell's Frame is used in this build because it has everything we need: extra resistances, spell block, spell damage, and increased maximum resistances. You will need a legacy Saffell's Frame if you wish to reach 88%/87%/80% maximum resistances. A regular Saffell's Frame works fine, though.

Chest: Kingsguard is meta for Mjolner builds because of the colossal amount of life it generates for us (900 life per discharge).

Helm: Alpha's Howl is crucial for this build. It not only provides us with the extra 8% reduced mana needed to run 4 auras and enough to use mana for skills, but it also gives us +2 levels to socketed auras. This (with level 21 purities) gets us to the level 23 purities which grants us +5% to maximum resistances. The +5% is then enhanced to +7% from our skill tree. The extra evasion rating from Alpha's Howl is also very nice to have.

Amulet: Voll's Devotion is ideal so that we can gain 9 Endurance Charges each time we discharge.

Ring: Romira's Banquet is a necessity because we need to generate at Power Charges in order to discharge. Almost every time we attack an enemy, we will gain a Power Charge which will then be consumed to discharge (and turned into 9 Endurance Charges).

Ring: Try to get as much life and resistances on your second ring. You will also need to get about 40 INT.

Gloves: Your gloves also need to have at least 40 INT (depending on your remaining INT needed for Mjolner. You will also need a high life roll and at least one resistance. An attack speed mod is ideal, but not necessary. An evasion or armor base is what you should be looking for.

Boots: Death's Door is best in slot, but a rare with high life roll and a couple of resistances works. Just like the gloves, try to find an evasion or amor base. You will also need to get at least 40 STR to support Mjolner.

Belt: Your belt should be a leather belt with a high life roll or a corrupted one with +1 to Maximum Endurance Charges. Lastly, try to get get one or two decent resistances on there.

Flask: Rumi's Concoction is probably one of the best defensive flasks that this build can take advantage of. If you happen to have a legacy one of these and a legacy Saffell's Frame, you can easily hit the 75% cap on block and spell block (which makes you nearly immune to elemental reflect). Even with non legacy, it is still very strong.

Chest

Helm

Gloves

Boots

Weapon

Gems to quality
Discharge: Increased area of effect
Fire Penetration: Increased fire damage
Greater Multiple Projectiles: Increased attack speed
Faster Attacks: Increased attack speed
Increased Duration: Increased duration
Elemental Weakness: Increased resistance loss
Blasphemy: Increased effect of curse

Yeah… So I play this game on a toaster. If anyone is running this build and willing to share some videos to be added on this thread, I would greatly appreciate it! The more videos the merrier!

Edit (6/20/2016): Created thread
Edit (6/22/2016): Added gems to quality
Edit (6/23/2016): Added jewels
Edit (6/29/2016): Arc into Fire Penetration
Edit (7/01/2016): Added more skill tree levels
Edit (7/04/2016): Controlled Destruction into Discharge
Last edited by Chatframe on Jul 13, 2016, 7:27:12 PM
Last bumped on Sep 15, 2016, 3:19:32 AM
thanks for the build!
-so you can reliable farm uber with this?
-do you feel like you take damage when fighting uber izaro?

at the moment i play prophecy with poison bladefall miner, but i dislike the heavy dependence on blasphemy curse and want something "true" tanky.
i want to play my first mjölner build and hope it's very tanky. the issue: i will not be able to afford voll's devotion. can i play this build without voll's? How do i have to differ the build to be able to and will the damage without voll's be enough to fight uber? Tankiness shouldnt suffer from lack of volls right?

kind regards
Last edited by airparisderjesus on Jun 21, 2016, 10:19:42 AM
Yes Uber Atziri is quite safe as long as you have done it before and know what you are doing. The only difference is her stormcalls and dual flameblasts. You can't simply tank all of it like you can in regular Atziri with this build. You have to dodge those two spells in Uber.

Regarding tankiness: this is the tankiest Mjolner build out there right now (to my knowledge). I believe it's the only build that hits +7% from purities and has one of the highest armor stats. Unfortunately the life pool could be better but 5,000 is usually enough to tank big hits with all our other defence.

Regarding Uber Izaro, I actually just got back a few days ago and haven't gotten to Uber lab yet.

About Volls, it's sole purpose is to produce endurance charges for you, so it doesn't really affect your tankiness if you can find another way to produce endurance charges.

The whole build revolves around Endurance Charges (life gain, phys reduc, damage) so if you can't get endurance charges another way I'd recommend zSavage's Voll-less Mjolner build.
Hi,

Thanks for the build, it looks like a really fun build to try out.

I have a few questions though,

Firstly, which gems would it be important to get quality for and which gems would it be important to get +1 level corruption?

What kind of corruption would be ideal for the volls, and what kind of enchants would you recommend for the boots/gloves/helmet?

Thanks again!

Last edited by JohnEWalker on Jun 22, 2016, 10:01:10 PM
I just added a "gems to quality" section in the build guide, go check it out!
For the +1 level corruption, the only gems that need it are Purity of Fire and Purity of Lightning. Enlighten is an optional +1 level corruption. It's not necessary, but it's nice to have.

Voll's should not be corrupted simply because it gives us some much needed attributes to wield the Mjolner. If you happen to have enough STR and INT to corrupt Voll's, then the best corruption you could get is the +1% to maximum resistances. Second place would have to go +X% attack speed and third place would have to go to +X% chance to block.

As far as enchantments go
Boots: The best possible enchantment for boots is the +X% chance to freeze, shock, and ignite if you haven't crit recently since this build never crits. Having more chance (permanently) to cause a status ailment on an enemy helps this build a lot. Second place would have to go to Damage penetrates X% of resistance if you haven't killed recently. This would almost always be up when you are doing Atziri since you never kill when fighting her. Third place would be the +X% life/mana regeneration if you were hit recently.
Gloves: You can use pretty much whatever you want. This is more of a preference thing. The glove enchant isn't going to really change anything that much because of the 5 second cooldowns. Just note that you can have some cool afk defences with Mjolner if you have an enchant that is an "attack" and is a "when hit" type. All "attack" enchants will proc Mjolner and discharge.
Helm: +X% increased Discharge damage is definitely the way to go. Second would be Arc damage.

Goodluck!
Thanks!

Yeah, playing prophecy so its pretty hard for me to get hold of a non-corrupted volls :/
Last edited by JohnEWalker on Jun 23, 2016, 12:54:45 AM
Hey,

I was checking out your build and it seeems really cool but I realised that there seems to be a huge int deficit.

You need 300 int to equip mjolner, but you get only 110 from the passive tree, 40+40=80 from the ring and the gloves, and 24 from the amulet, totalling 214 int, almost 100 int short.

How do you get this additional int? I considered using jewels but didnt seem to get anywhere near enough int..

Let me know please, thanks!
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry I forgot to list my jewels! You need to use Brute Force Solution at the jewel socket right next to Berserking (next to the life cluster)! I'll update that right away.

That should give you about 70 INT. The remainder comes from the other 4 jewels.
Never played Mjölner, but this great build guide makes me want to try it!
Thanks for sharing!
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Oro's Crit Flicker Assassin: view-thread/1691639
Sire of Ignites Elementalist: view-thread/1703646
Low Life CocSpray Occultist: view-thread/1711959
Hi,

Sorry for asking yet another question, but would frost blades be a stronger gem than lightning strike for clearing maps?

Thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info