Why do people get so excited over sports?

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
People fall into three general categories:
1. Those who'd rather watch Twitch than sports.
2. Those who aren't aware professional Korean StarCraft exists.
3. People who want to be brain-dead jocks.

Ah, the goold old days of Brood War, Boxer's miracles, the Jaedong vs Flash clashes, the Bisu proxy gateway which made his opponent cry, these were the days :) SC2 bored me to death in a few months.

Part of the reason I'm so resentful of Blizzard - Activision, they managed to turn the two legendary games of the late 1990s into shit.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 22, 2016, 3:07:17 AM
I like watching profession sports as it offers the opportunity to observe people giving maximum physical effort.

People fall into general categories:

1. Those that have trained their bodies to be stronger, faster or more disciplined in their control of their movements and can appreciate the dedication and discipline and risk to personal safety that athletes put themselves through.

2. People who think that mastering virtual simulations is somehow superior to doing to it in the real world.

3. People who generalise too much.

"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

"
Hardlicker wrote:
I like watching profession sports as it offers the opportunity to observe people giving maximum physical effort.

People fall into general categories:

1. Those that have trained their bodies to be stronger, faster or more disciplined in their control of their movements and can appreciate the dedication and discipline and risk to personal safety that athletes put themselves through.

2. People who think that mastering virtual simulations is somehow superior to doing to it in the real world.

3. People who generalise too much.

I enjoy watching both athletic sports and e-sports, there's no need for it to be an either-or proposition. I also think some sports fans go to unreasonable lenghts in their emotional reactions.

I like point 3, though.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Sports like everything else is a "high" for brains. The brain gets accustomed ADDICTED to the highs and lows of sports games. Just like people get the same highs from watching a favorite soap opera or eating certain foods. Serotonin anyone?
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Jun 22, 2016, 8:53:53 PM
As Xavderion said people feel like they belong to a group. But this has a more depth explanation, because all our behaviors have a reason. Common people praise athletes, and sport in general, because a well physically prepared person is better to defend us from the danger. So it is, in the end, just another defense mechanism (instinctive, of course).
"
FedeS wrote:
As Xavderion said people feel like they belong to a group. But this has a more depth explanation, because all our behaviors have a reason. Common people praise athletes, and sport in general, because a well physically prepared person is better to defend us from the danger. So it is, in the end, just another defense mechanism (instinctive, of course).

A lot of it has to do with hero worship as well, though I find the term a little degrading it's accurate. These star athletes represent the best of what we can be and as always is the case with heroes there are villains, those in the way of the heroes we want to emulate, and so we root feverishly against those preventing our hero's victories.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
FedeS wrote:

A lot of it has to do with hero worship as well, though I find the term a little degrading it's accurate. These star athletes represent the best of what we can be and as always is the case with heroes there are villains, those in the way of the heroes we want to emulate, and so we root feverishly against those preventing our hero's victories.

True.The image of the hero is the image of our savior. The victory of the savior against the "enemy" (the opposite team) is source of great joy. Because sport, in the end, is the representation of a small war between two sides.
Because they are sheep, asleep. Not following their own path, lacking a vision of their own to follow so they just need externals to fill the void that they cannot themselves.. gives them meaning in life.. it makes them feel like they belong, like their is meaning to their lives - which is something every living being craves, to belong, to feel a purpose, a meaning, to feel like you fit in the whole.

ahahaha... truthful huh? maybe, maybe not..

I never got it myself, i really just can't get that excited over sports, the whole meta game and all just bores the living shit out of me. I can more get excited if i see someone do something insanely difficult/lucky/extraordinaire, that sort of thing, i'm not into following some team and being a big fan watching their all because it means so much to me.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jun 28, 2016, 3:35:40 AM
So all but like 10 people from iceland are sheep. I knew it!
Yup, it's a rough world we live in!
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info