So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

"
innervation wrote:
"
iamacyborg wrote:
"
GGG you haz some splaining to do...

Na, this isn't on GGG. Although I'd definitely support them bringing the wiki in house and hosting it themselves.

Could you explain in a bit more detail 'what' is 'on' Curse? (when you say 'this' isn't 'on' GGG). I have a lot of thoughts on this topic and on some of the responses, but a lot of them are contingent on actually knowing the facts of the matter.

On the issue of others profiting off of the community's work, to start, I'll say this: take a service like Hearthpwn. It's a great idea and a great service for people who play Hearthstone. In my opinion, so long as Blizzard isn't providing an official tool like it, the creator(s) of Hearthpwn should be allowed to make money from it. Weather or not Curse buys them out is irrelevant.

Curse made Hearthpwn so that's a little different, as custom code is involved. It wasn't a site they acquired and involves in-house dev work.

Gamepedia is obviously quite different as it sits on an open source platform (Mediawiki), uses open source extensions (from the Mediawiki dev community) and relies solely on the community to contribute the content that makes up the website, Curse is only involved in as much as they host the site and stick ads on it.

I very much agree that site owners are free to profit from their creations, my sticking point lies in what works is being done by whom and what the community involvement is.
Sorry to hear it turned out this way. Thank you very much for all your efforts on the wiki. I remember what it was like having a bunch of bookmarks and text files on PoE info stashed away. What ilevel does something need to be to get 6 sockets? For instance.

Your site eliminated so many headaches and saved so much time. I think it contributed greatly to people being able to enjoy Path of Exile a lot more. I know it let me tab out, get some quick information and get back to playing.

I know how frustrating it can be trying to find a reasonably priced host once you start getting heavy traffic, so I completely understand the initial ownership change.

Knowing how complex the game is, and how often GGG and the players change, I think the new owners are making a terrible mistake by not keeping you. I know I've noticed slight updates and improvements - the site seemed to grow more intuitive. Now I see why it was that way.

Anyhow, I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all your work, and I hope the future holds something good for you.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
So I kind of see three things there (correct me if I'm wrong)

1) There is a precedent set by Wikipedia that leads to the expectation/norm of 'collaborative online encyclopedias should not be profited from by anyone under any circumstances'.

2) More broadly speaking, it's a shitty thing for a small group of people to profit from the voluntary work of a large group.

3) GGG should 'host' the wiki and put their own adverts on it (likely not 3rd party ads - just them cross promoting their own stuff, daily sales, recent news, etc).
Last edited by innervation on Jun 17, 2016, 7:33:00 AM
"
iamacyborg wrote:
"
GGG you haz some splaining to do...

Na, this isn't on GGG. Although I'd definitely support them bringing the wiki in house and hosting it themselves.

I'm wondering about the free work of poe.trade that GGG is making money on with trade tabs.
WAIT....

He said "Thanks for all the FIsh..."

WHAT FISH? DOES THIS GUY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THE FISHING RODS????

"
DrazyHaze wrote:
WAIT....

Well of course he dose he managed the Sub wiki on fishing for years
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
"
SirSid wrote:
"
DrazyHaze wrote:
WAIT....

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of said resource.
"
Assfinder wrote:
I'm wondering about the free work of poe.trade that GGG is making money on with trade tabs.

yep, you should definitely pay me for having to read your posts.

on top of that it's wrong, xyz get's paid by adverts and if you see the alexa ranking you can also see that it's quite alot as the site is pretty popular.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
iamacyborg wrote:
"
SirSid wrote:
"
DrazyHaze wrote:
WAIT....

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of said resource.

#micdrop
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
sad to see you go OP. Game wouldn't be what it is without your contribution.

Sucks that all these Douche Nozzles are cashing in on others sometimes free, hard and dedicated work.

I guess you were just F.U.C.K.E.D.
Focused Understanding Compassionate Keen Educated and Dedicated
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
Last edited by buhdunkadunk on Jun 21, 2016, 8:31:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info